Video Files on Forum ×

PX780 as a midi controller

tjb0666

Can someone please shed some light on this for me.   I want to purchase this piano for 2 reasons.  One, to learn piano.  And the other, I want to use it as a midi controller.

So what I would like to know is , is this keyboard capable of being plugged into my Scarlett 2i4 digital audio interface via midi to play VST keyboards,synths, string ensembles etc. through my recording software which is Cubase.  Ive seen one thread that says yes it will with no problems and the other says no.  I will post both of those links.  I will be using this keyboard for recordings

Can anyone give me a definitive answer please?  If this board is not capable of being a full fledged easy to hook up and use midi controller than I hate to say it will be a deal breaker for me .

Thanks in advance   the links wont paste so ill attach them 

One of the links is not direct to this keyboard but it is mentioned further down in the postings.

px-780 as midi controler - Privia x50 x60 Series - Casio Music Forums.htm

Setting up PX 350 as Optional Midi Controller - Privia x50 x60 Series - Casio Music Forums.htm

Check the PX-780 manual.

I believe that the PX-780 is essentially a PX-350 (which I own) with a cabinet, and improved amps and speakers.   If that's true:

It should have a "MIDI In" and "MIDI Out" jack on the rear panel.

If it does, you can use it as a MIDI controller -- I use my PX-350 with Pianoteq.  It doesn't have a "Mod" wheel -- just "pitch bend" -- so there are limits to what you can do.  It sends pitch and velocity and pedal (up, half, and down) MIDI messages.

Even if it doesn't have "MIDI In" and "MIDI Out" jacks, you can use the USB jack (rear panel, not the USB disk drive slot on the control panel) to feed MIDI data to the computer.  

.       Charles

PS -- now I'll read the links you posted.   

In the unfavorable thread, Jokeyman says:

It's a great digital piano and has many useful features, but isn't a full workstation and i guess it wasn't meant to be.

The capability the OP was looking for was sending "instrument change" messages.

. . . How much control do you need over the recording process, _from the keyboard_ ?

That's going to determine whether the PX-780 is adequate, or not.

.        Charles

• Like 1