Privia 330 loud velocity strikes

lonnysarao

I would really appreciate if someone will share which parts and/or part numbers I would need to order that pertain to sensors that have to do with sending velocity messages. I just want to replace the parts instead of banging our heads against the wall trying to speculate the problem and solution. I have already taken the keyboard apart and have carefully cleaned all the contacts under each key. Thank you

Lonny

lonnydude@gmail.com

Here's a video on how to repair a velocity issue on a Roland keyboard.  Essentially the procedure is pretty much the same for all modern keyboards.

As for the parts required, usually a proper cleaning does the trick if you did it right the first time.

Velocity is determined by the time interval between the key striking the first rubber contact at the top of the stroke and the time it strikes the second rubber contact at the bottom of the stroke.  The actual note velocity is a computer calculation of the time interval for each note.

What exactly is your issue?  A single note is playing too loudly or softly regardless of velocity?  Or is it an entire octave of notes?

Either way if cleaning the contacts doesn't do the trick the next step is to replace an entire contact strip.  Worst case scenario there might be a break in the contact circuit board which may need repair or replacement.

The only place you'll find any of these parts is directly from Casio so contact support if you still need the parts.

Gary ;)

Gary, thank you for your response. The issue is that tech support does not know what parts are needed. I would like to replace the contact strip but tech support knows nothing about parts and most people working in the parts department merely have a list of parts with no other knowledge. So again, I need to know what to order. Thank you.

It figures.  Casio is not the kind of company that encourages DIY poking around inside their products.

I'd say contact Jokeyman here on the board about it.  He's had a lot of experience hacking and modding old Casios and he may have a better line on a parts supplier than I have.

Offhand though, I'd say the only parts which could possibly need replacement are either the contact strip for the octave or the contact PC board for the octave that's giving the problem.  In that order.  Perhaps you could google the part numbers or wait for Jokeyman to chime in.

Gary ;)

I' m checked in but don't have much time this weekend to give much feedback, travelling this weekend. Gary is exactly right about the typical way to calculate velocity with the typical rubber boot type sensors under the keys. Be very careful with what you use to clean the carbon contacts. Most typical solutions will contaminate or ruin the conductive carbon used both inside the rubber boots and on the contact boards including alcohol, contact cleaners and just about anythig else. Plain distilled water and thorough drying is the only substance I'd use. Could you be more specific about the malfunction? Is this throughout the entire keyboard range, on one or two separate keys or does it span a continuous specific range of notes? It may not be necessary to replace anything depending upon the specific nature of the problem and I am not too thrilled Casio isn't forthcoming in the parts dept. You may have to search for an independent keyboard parts supplier and visually match what you need. I'd have to see inside the 330 to get a better idea of what to look for. Some of these internal key parts can be matched through other manufacturers such a Kurzweil and Yamaha. The dual rubber boot contacts are almost identical across manufacturers. The circuit boards are more specifically designed although there can be some substituting. I'll be out remainder of weekend post back I'll check in again Monday.

This is the best online store I've been able to find for possible parts for your Privia 330.

http://www.casiokeyboardjunkyard.com/

They are even willing to check your individual part by description and see if they can match it. Also have many" parts" keyboards and resources available for older Casios. Hope this is helpful. Remember anything you do yourself voids any Casio warranty which if they aren't able to do any repair work kind of null and voids their warranty anyway.