MIDI not working now...

I thought I had set up my XW for use as a midi controller with my DAWs... since upgrading to Windows 10, I get NO input in any DAW software progs (Sonar and Reaper) either as general midi or using USB.  There are two midi devices in device mgr and drivers did not update when i tried that.  Are the MIDIOutSel set to USB and USBOutSel set to KEY for both midi cable use and USB cable use?  Any ideas?

Gene

Cruise any of the music equipment/production forums right now and you will find numerous complaints about various programs that no longer work, since upgrading to Windows 10.  Many are driver issues, but there are also a fair amount of just plain OS/program incompatibilities.  The gamers have been hit the worst - all the way from "buggy operation" to out right "no longer runs".  Most of these were folks that were still running Win-7, because of the problems with Win-8.  They are moving back to Win-7 to resolve their problems.  It appears that Microsoft is trying to migrate all of us to a "cloud based" processing environment, but most gaming and music production was not designed/written for that.

At any rate, whenever you run into something like this, it is always best to immediately suspect the item that was changed, not the item that remained static.  In your case, you changed your PC's operating system while your XW remained as-is, so it is logical to immediately suspect the PC's OS first.  If you start maladjusting your XW set up in an attempt to make up for an OS problem, you only make things worse.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted

I agree with Ted completely on this. Windows OS have always been problematic for MIDI and I've run every one from DOS and 3.1 but only up to 7. After trying 8 I stayed with 7 and actually still use XP on 2 computers for music. To answer your question and this was posted by Mike Martin some time ago, thecXW is able to send midi out from the keys setting to both the USB and midi DIN ports simultaneously do you can control 2 different setups at the same time. I would almost certainly suspect a Windows driver incompatibility the issue. Try re-installing your older midi drivers if you can after deleting whatever Windows 10 installed that is if it installed anything pertaining to midi maybe it didn't. Windows is famous for leaving important drivers out of its os every time they upgrade to a new one. I've always needed to install Windows native USB and midi drivers and the Casio midi driver to get the Casios to work.

i guess that's what I'm asking... is anyone using the XW as a controller in Win 10?  i looked for a midi driver to reinstall for the XW but could not find one... anyone have a link for that???  i can use the XW Data Manager prog and work on patches fine.

EDIT... I loaded the 64bit drivers from the CASIO site, even tho it didn't include the XW in the list, and it is functioning now.  

http://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=72

I don't know if the OS upgrade wiped out the old driver or what.  It may have been a brain fart from upgrading the system 3 years back from 32 to 64 bit and never loading the new drivers, since I normally don't use the XW with my desktop computer.

Gene, installing the usb midi drivers from Casio's website did not fix the issue. Those drivers are there only for support of older Casio keyboards.  They are not compatible with newer models.  The Casio's made in the last several years are class compliant and use standardized midi drivers. Your data editor for the XW would not have worked if the driver was the issue because it communicates with the XW-P1 via midi and needs a driver to do so.  Something else must have happened with your software.  

I am now on Windows 10 but have not tried any midi connections with it.  I will have to go check this later myself.

The fact of the matter remains that this is not a Casio problem but rather a Windows problem and a third party software vendor problem.

Like every new release of windows before this, M$ released a buggy version with compatibility and driver issues that should have been fixed in the pre release betas.

It really doesn't matter if you waved a dead chicken over your computer to fix it.  I'm happy it works for you now but the standard procedure is to wait til doomsday for M$ and the Software Vendors to release patches and bug fixes for their products and hope they get to your problems soon enough.

This is no different in the Linux world where patches break and fix software on a regular basis.

Class Compliant means just that.  It is a generic software solution that fits all devices which are compliant with the hardware specs determined by the regulating bodies of the industry.  The XW series does NOT require vendor specific drivers to operate.  In fact, no modern Casio product should or does so.

What you have seemingly accomplished is a desperate hack.  There's no guarantee it should work for everyone nor even that it should have worked at all in the first place.

Count yourself lucky and move on.  Wait til doomsday for M$ and Reaper and Cakewalk to clean up their respective messes and apply the official patches when and if they ever finally arrive.

Nothing else to see here...

Kindly keep the line moving... ;)

Gary ;)