Video Files on Forum ×

Any reviews or Demo's of the PX-360?

lindafus

Has anyone tried the PX-360 or is there a demo?  I see it is available most everywhere now.  Anyone?

I got some time on a PX-360 this summer. Keyboard action wise, it is identical to the other PX-X50 and PX-X60 models. Soundwise, the piano sample is the same as well.  Pretty sure they added some new strings and guitar sounds as well. Of course, the big thing is that wonderful color touchscreen as well as the multitrack sequencer.  I liked it a lot. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info.  I did purchase and owned for one week the CGP-700 it is a remarkable piano. In the end I took it back because there is no dedicated midi in/out (I use this) on it and I found myself wanting to create styles, change them and import new ones. Those options are not possible on the CGP-700 that I could find.

I just received the Casio PX-360 yesterday and I have not had time to delve into it but right from the power up I heard the difference between the CGP-700 tones and the AiR technology very clearly.  It does allow for style changes and creations with an EDIT options and you can import them as well.  After a long research of the 3 new touch screen models I decided the Casio PX-360 was the best fit for my needs. I only play in my home.

I was going to hold out for the PX-560 but I know in the end I will not use the sound design synth options on that board. I hope to be able to go over the PX-360m in detail soon.  Meanwhile, I will wait for the pros here to create a wonderful video highlighting the best features of this powerful board.  

Thanks!

The CGP-700 and PX-360 are nearly identical except for a few differences.

I have a PlayList on the videos that I've done which cover the CGP-700 (and by association, the PX-360) over here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4lH80nobNBIuMfFR8r8wPgmKtoE-t59E

One of the videos in the playlist covers the differences between the two... but all videos in the playlist are informative. 

The playlist is always being added to, so check back from time to time.

In addition to features on the CGP-700, the PX-350 adds....

AiR Sound Source
Multidimensional Linear Morphing AiR tones
Hammer response (4 levels)
Key off simulator  
Damper noise (on/off)

Rhythm editor (10 user rhythms)
Music preset editor (50 user music presets)

Second pedal jack (1/4" standard switch type, assignable as sostenuto or soft)
5 pin midi in and out
Line in (1/4" standard left/mono, right)

• 1 month later...

My biggest question.....Is there anything the PX-360 can do that the PX-560 cannot do?  I believe the 360 will have everything I would ever need or use.  I am just afraid that I might regret not buying the 560.  The price difference isn't the issue.  My concern is generated from having owned the PX-5S for some time now and only really use a half dozen tones, all but Rhodes are stock Casio tones.  I can't believe I would ever use the synths, arps, organ, clavs etc. other than to just toy around with them at home.

I will likely buy the 560 just to be safe......that is, unless there is something it will not do that the 360 will do.  I just have to wait for the PX-5S to sell.  It is up on Craigslist.  I am guessing it will be gone pretty soon, especially with Christmas coming.

Thanks for your help.  BTW....I have downloaded and read both manuals.  The 560 seems to do everything the 360 does.  Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

Below I have worked up a comparison list highlighting some of the key differences as you move up the range of the new color touchscreen models. I sifted through the specs on Casio international site and simplified it as much as possible.

CGP-700 Features:

5.3" Color Touch Panel 
Tri-sensor Scaled Hammer Action II 
Pitch Bend Wheel 
128 note polyphony
Preset Damper resonance (piano tones)
Preset Damper noise (piano tones)
Preset DSP effects for some tones

550 Preset tones 
200 Preset rhythms 
305 Music Presets 
96 Registrations (4 areas x 24 Banks)

Audio recorder (16bit/44.1kHz Stereo)
Midi recorder (16 track +1 system track) 

System Reverb (17 preset types)
System Chorus (16 preset types)
17 Preset Temperaments 
16 ch mixer

Duet mode
Octave shift 
Layer/split 
Transpose buttons
Metronome

Rear USB Port (to Host)
Front USB Port (Flash drive)
Pedal jack (1/4" standard switch type)
Casio 3-Pedal unit connector 
Front Phones x 2 (3.55mm Stereo Mini)
Line out (1/4" Standard Left, Right/MONO)
Audio In (3.5mm Stereo Mini) 

Privia PX-360 adds: 

Linear Morphing AiR tones
Preset String resonance
Hammer response control (4 levels)
Key off simulator 
Damper noise on/off control

Rhythm editor (10 user rhythms)
Music preset editor (50 user music presets)

Second pedal jack (1/4" standard switch type, assignable as sostenuto or soft)

5 pin midi IN and OUT
Line in jacks (1/4" standard left/mono, right)

Privia Pro PX-560 adds: 

256 note polyphony

String resonance adjustability (16 levels)
Damper resonance adjustability (16 levels)
4 more levels of Hammer response (8 levels)
Increased Damper noise control (16 levels)
Editable system reverb 
Editable system chorus 
System Delay (editable)
Master EQ (4 band parametric)
Editable DSP effects 

20 additional user rhythms (30 total)
100 additional preset tones (hex tones)
Tone editing (400 user tones)
Hex layer synth 

3 knobs (assignable)
Modulation wheel (assignable)
Expression pedal input (assignable)
Arpeggiator (100 presets) 

BradMZ.....thank you for doing this comparison.  It will be helpful to those of us making the decision of which of the three to purchase.  I am pretty sure I will go with the PX-560.  It has way more features than I will likely ever need or use, but who knows, one day I may have an opportunity to be part of a group that will ask me to add something new to the mix.  Thanks again.

• Like 2

What's the difference between "preset rhythms" and "music presets"?

The way I describe them is the rhythms are patterns you can play along with and that play along with you. You can hold down notes or chords depending on the setting with your left hand and the keyboard will play accompaniment according to what you play.

The music presets are more like songs where the arrangement and chord progression is already specified. You simply play along with it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What's the difference between "preset rhythms" and "music presets"?

Music presets contains chords progression (user may create and save its own one).

Preset rhythms - It is a rhythm pattern and set of instruments.(user may adjust setting of instruments set only - In the other words it is a customization for the system track).

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Solo:

I have a PX-360.   It is my experience that the PX-360 will not play GM1 files correctly.  It appears to play GM2 files OK..   

The GM1 specification defines playing of midi channel 10 midi files differently than the GM2 specification.  There are millions of GM1 files floating around the net.

To make the PX-360  play the GM2 Channel 10 drum track correctly it is necessary for the computer program you are using, (Finale,Cakewalk etc) to send the midi file to the PX-360, to open the GM1 file from the internet, convert the midi file to a GM2 file, and then retransmit the GM2 file to the PX-360.

I use the  Finale 2015d notation program daily.  I open an old midi file from the net or from my files.  Finale notates that file.  To listen to that file on the PX-360 I must tell Finale to convert that file into a GM2, file before sending it to the PX-360.

I have old CakeWalk programs that cannot play its files on he PX-360 because my old Cakewalk  (Sonar 3)  does not have the ability to generate a GM2

(Channel 10) data stream. ( I have not researched this rigorously yet)

I do not believe that the 2nd paragraph on page EN-61 of my PX-360 users manual is correct.  I have been unable to play a GM1 midi file correctly on my PX-360.

Note: I really like he keyboard and use it every day.  It is connected to my Win 10 lap top.  Note that my laptop is connected to the PX-360 using an E-Mu midi 1X1 connector which plugs into a USB port on my lap and the other end of the cable   plugs to the midi connectors on the back of the PX-360

I hope you understand what I am saying.  For the last 20 or 30 years "Standard MIDI Files) implied a certain inter connectivity between midi devices. 

GM2 is not backward compatible with the old "Standard Midi File" definition.

Bob Stiffler 

gm 

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the update on my question: can these keyboards actually play standard midi files. I am looking for a good replacement for my Korg PA3X. It's getting too heavy to carry around. Has great features and sounds but "man, it's heavy in a hard case!"  I like what I see and hear in the PX560.