PX5s MIDI sounds muffled.

Bouncy Nugget

NY PX5s when used as a controller makes my VSTi's sound muffled and not so good. My Casio PX735 however makes them sound very rich and detailed (better..).

I have local control on bother disabled. I notice on the PX5s when I change stage setting settings it can affect the VSTi. So I'm thinking the PX5s is processing my VSTi's or something. Either way it sucks and I'd like to stop it.

Also the touch response on the PX5s is impossible. Normal is too quiet and light is too loud, like what the heck do I do about this crazy keyboard?

• Like 1

This made no difference at all. 2 different keyboards, same VSTi patch, same USB cable but they sound different.. Is it suppose to be that way? PX5s sounds washed out but I don't know why. The black keys are extra muffled and I feel like maybe the keybed itself isn't triggering velocity layers correctly but I can't be sure.

If you're talking about ONLY VST stuff sounding different - and not talking about the PX-5's sound - then the only issue at play is MIDI velocity values that the PX is spitting out to the VST.

No "processing" involved. The PX5 action just isn't triggering the same velocity values as the 725. If you're only triggering the softer samples on a piano VST, it's going to sound muffled as hell.... because you're not triggering those harder, brighter samples.

So you're going to need to adjust the velocity response on the PX-5.

But... you might also need to adjust velocity response of the VST.

This is a common issue with all kinds of keyboard-VST pairings.

One advantage that a hardware keyboard has over VST is the hardware board engineers can customize the software velocity curves and the sound programming to work with one action - the one included on the board! Makers of VSTs can't do this customization because users will be hooking up a wide varitety of actions.

When I worked at Kurzweil, creating velocity maps was a huge process, done by hand by some keyboard playing schmuck like me... separate maps for black and white keys since the lever/fulcrum physics are different for each. Took many many hours. I'm sure the guys at Casio do similar work to customize the sounds and software in their boards to work with the action.

Don't fret - I think between the PX5 and VST velocity settings, you should be able to dial in something that feels better. You might want to contact the tech support for the VST company and check any related user forums.

Please let us know how you make out once you've adjusted the VST's velocity response settings and once you've heard back from thier tech support.

;)

VST companies deal with complaints like this all the time as some boards' actions work better/worse with certain VSTs. Their support people will likely have heard similar issues and should have good advice for you.

Well I wasn't going to contact the VSTi's support since my other Casio sounds good. I'm sure it is the PX5s doing funky things, even using PX5s onboard sounds has a strange feel to it. "Light" velocity makes playing soft too difficult and "normal" is the opposite. It is most noticable to me when playing fast phrases that are suppose to be quiet or loud. Can no one else feel these strange velocity curves?

Also, i've tried out velocity sensors in my DAW and as I suspected, some notes need extra strength to achieve the same velocity reading as others.

It might be a personal taste issue. In which case I've wasted everyone's time lol XD

Brad might be right, but first I'd try resetting the PX-5S completely. Find the instructions and download elsewhere here to install the 1.13 firmware, and make sure to perform the initialize step at the end. This should make your PX-5S like it was new out of the box. Then see how well it works for you.

If you've created stage settings or other things you want to keep, make sure to save those individually first. Any stage settings you've downloaded from here should still be available so you don't have to save those.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

well i have similar problem palying a Yamaha S03 sound thin and muffy and i have to turn off local .....it is different on my Kurzweil K2000R where i can setup some different

Velocity Curvers having a lot of it inside....so i think this is a big problem into the PX%s havin only 3 different velocitiy curves , the S03 has 5 off it and the K2000R is able to

let to setup a own one....

anyway i wonder if it is possible for Casio to add some " !!!!