New Celviano Hybrids Announced!

INTRODUCING THE CELVIANO GRAND HYBRID PIANOS.

The Perfect Combination of Innovation and Tradition.

2d6l7a8.jpg

Since 1980, Casio has been creating musical instruments using constantly-evolving technology. 

Today, players of all levels enjoy Casio instruments at home, on stage, and in the studio.

For over 300 years, the piano has been embraced around the world as a vehicle for artistic expression. 

Its design has evolved through time, but the fundamental structure is still true to tradition.

Casio’s vision is to bring the piano experience to the next level by applying its technological expertise, 

and to create an instrument that would thrill the most demanding and traditional pianist.

Now, Casio begins a new chapter in the rich history of piano with the CELVIANO Grand Hybrid.

Learn more at: http://www.casiomusicgear.com/resource/html/GrandHybrid/index.html

Another mysterious name "Grand Hybrid"   I though then I saw the subtle hint in the introduction video which gave me the ah-haa moment.

This is not a small step its a huge one, As a beginner pianist/keyboardist I can surely appreciate an instrument having the realism to play with 

every nuance each finger can press the key with. 

See if you notice the subtle hint B . :)

From the moment your hands touch the keys, the Grand Hybrid delivers the authenticity your performance demands. The revolutionary new Natural Grand Hammer Action keyboard is made with full-length wooden concert grand piano keys, using the same materials and processes as the C. Bechstein concert grand pianos. A key press sends a hammer along the same vertical path as a grand piano, with the same essential weighting and pivot points, resulting in a true and uncompromising piano touch.

Sweet!

Actually on further thought I wonder why they bothered putting a headphone jack on it?  If someone plans to practice quietly in a room with someone else watching the TV, the constant "thwack thwack thwack" of the hammers making contact would rapidly drive me up a wall :D :D :D

Gary :D

I beg to differ.  If the hammers didn't hit "anything" the feel would be nothing at all like a real piano.  They pretty much have to strike some sort of rigid backstop that emulates the feel of a piano hammer striking a steel string.  It wouldn't really help if they were cushioned with some sort of noise dampening material either since that would again result in a mushy feel.

I'm guessing it's a pretty safe bet that if someone is pounding away with headphones on there would be a fairly steady "Thwackity Thwack Thwack" coming out of that case.

Hell, I've heard people bitch about noisy key actions on unweighted synth style keys.  This must be at least ten times worse.

Gary ;)

When you press a key on a piano, you don't feel the hammer hitting the string. The repetition mechanism throws the hammer into the string. Once the jack slips past the knuckle, the hammer is in free flight until it hits the string. Unless the action is extremely out of regulation! :o

Also, I believe that what Rich said in the video where he talked about the action, the hammer has a trigger that trips the sensor so that the sound is created by the hammer moving by the sensor.

• Like 1

It would be silly for Casio to develop this action in order to be realistic as possible, then make the hammers stop noisily. If you watched the second video, you can see where Rich shows you the hammers inside the instrument as he plays the keys. I don't see the hammers hitting anything, at least on top, nor does the camera seem to pick up any action noise FWIW. I realize the camera might not have picked up everything but I highly doubt this action would be as noisy as you suggest it might be.

BTW, isn't it cool how Casio made the hammers look like hammers, so when you look inside as you play it looks like a real piano? I was going to make a joke when these first were announced that the only thing missing was seeing the hammers inside the piano while I play, then I found out they covered that as well. :o  :lol:

• Like 1

BTW, isn't it cool how Casio made the hammers look like hammers, so when you look inside as you play it looks like a real piano? I was going to make a joke when these first were announced that the only thing missing was seeing the hammers inside the piano while I play, then I found out they covered that as well. :o  :lol:

I love it. I really want to play one.  According to Mike, these will be in a select number of dealers.  Hopefully one will be close to me.  

• Like 1

If you watched the second video, you can see where Rich shows you the hammers inside the instrument as he plays the keys. I don't see the hammers hitting anything, at least on top, nor does the camera seem to pick up any action noise 

The hammers don't hit anything. Mike showed me a cut-away and explained how it all worked. And it is a quiet mechanism. As much as I love my acoustic grand, if I were comparing the GH-500 it would be a VERY difficult choice. Silent practice, zero tuning or maintenance, (more) easily moved... the Grand Hybrids have a lot to offer. 

• Like 3

The hammers don't hit anything. Mike showed me a cut-away and explained how it all worked. And it is a quiet mechanism. As much as I love my acoustic grand, if I were comparing the GH-500 it would be a VERY difficult choice. Silent practice, zero tuning or maintenance, (more) easily moved... the Grand Hybrids have a lot to offer. 

From someone who owns an acoustic grand, that's a powerful statement!

A bunch of technical information is still missing:

. . . Are the decays looped?

. . . . . .Are the decays full-length?

. . . Are the samples stretched (that is, one sample serves for several pitches) ?

. . . Are the samples from the "old" sampled piano (for the PX-x50, etc) re-processed and re-used,

. . . .  or is it a brand-new sample set?

Since the GP300 can produce sounds louder than an acoustic grand, I'd expect something over 100 watts in the amps -- but I can't find the specs.

I'm sure all will become clear . . .   Then I can really drool.

.   charles

. . . Are the decays looped?

. . . . . .Are the decays full-length?

. . . Are the samples stretched (that is, one sample serves for several pitches) ?

It's the end sound you hear when you sit and play it that matters.  That is what Casio wants you to do.  When it hits select dealers, go play it.  Then you can judge for yourself whether you hear loops or sample stretching or short decays.  

. . . Are the samples from the "old" sampled piano (for the PX-x50, etc) re-processed and re-used,

. . . .  or is it a brand-new sample set?

Since the GP300 can produce sounds louder than an acoustic grand, I'd expect something over 100 watts in the amps -- but I can't find the specs.

The GP-300 and GP-500 have 3 piano's.  One of them comes from the same source piano they sampled for the Privia's. That piano will sound different than it did in previous products because of the new AiR Grand sound engine. The other 2 are pianos not found in any of the current Privia's. The 3 pianos are called Vienna, Hamburg and Berlin.  I think it's easy to guess the piano models from those names.    

As for the sound system, yes, the GP-300 and GP-500 have a 100 watt total, 4 channel, 6 speaker sound system designed to project sound in the same was as an acoustic piano. This is why one must play it to understand the quality.  

New Air Grand Sound Engine is actually a dead give away it isn't Air sound Engine,

Expect something that it means this uses the same principle tech behind AIR but for the

purpose of recreating the sound , vibe ,nuances any thing a pianist would notice of a Grand

Piano with the audio speaker system should be close to a Grand piano. 

It doesn't mean better then current AIR rather then expand for the purpose of the Grand experience 

by hearing it. Some probably think o.k but then they could create this engine in a keyboard for which

a keyboardist can connect some speaker system but that won't be the same. 

That what I think this new engine is outfitted for in this form factor audio  to which Casio applied 

their engineering skills together with Bechstein to create the Grand Piano match to it experience. 

AIR Grand Sound is specifically build for that purpose I'm eager to hear from pianist here going about 

these piano in 3 day's of playing no more no less. 

I'm guessing it's a pretty safe bet that if someone is pounding away with headphones on there would be a fairly steady "Thwackity Thwack Thwack" coming out of that case.

Hell, I've heard people bitch about noisy key actions on unweighted synth style keys.  This must be at least ten times worse.

Gary ;)

This came up on another forum. The reality is that this action is crazy quiet.  As I said on the other forum - apparently I'll have to do a demo video of me playing it with the volume turned off.   B)

• Like 2