Video Files on Forum ×

Acessiong sounds for privia px3 via midi

raphaleandro

If the PX3 is designed the same as the PX350 which I play and use to play midi files, you will need to look at the midi implementation chart for the PX3 to determine which bank change number is used for the tones that are outside the range of the GM sounds.

When I wish to use a sound that is not a GM sound, I need to program the bank change number first, then the program change for whatever midi channel I am going to use.

The PX 350 for example uses a wide range of bank change numbers to access each of the piano tones. Without having the midi implementation charts in front of me I cannot remember any particular bank change numbers but when I perform this procedure in my midi software programs it does work.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a little complicated. The easiest solution I have found is to use a midi sequencer program with your computer connected to the PX that lets you input both a bank change number and then the program change number for each midi channel you wish to select a sound for, then push Play or record in the sequencer program to let it send these 2 messages to the PX. I do not see any changes on the LCD screen for my PX350 but it will have changed the sound to whatever bank and program change number you've selected. I use Cakewalk (an older version which is simpler to program and an old Linux program converted for Windows OS called Jazzware-hard to find but this is the simplest and easiest sequencer I have ever used. Crude interface but it is very easy to set up a bank and program change for each midi channel you wish to record with. Make sure your PX is receiving midi data-if your driver is not working correctly this may be a problem. I use Midiox to make sure my midi connection/sequencer is sending data out to the computer midi port first.