XW-P1 MIDI Channel assignments for Multi-timbre setups

Guest Paul Tyson

Guest Paul Tyson

I use Cubase as my main sequencer - and am wanting to setup "performance patches" on the XW-P1 that include tones w/ MIDI channel assignments.

I know this can be done using Performance Mode - but I'm somewhat confused.

I think I understand the benefits of using Performance Mode in a LIVE performance situation - using layers and splits.... and that's fine - but my main objective is recording tracks using Cubase.

Is Performance Mode the only way to set up (and store to memory) configurations that will remember MIDI channels and their respective tone assignments?

Also - when using HEX Layers - can I get different HEX Layer sounds on different MIDI channels (multi-timbre mode)?

Apparently the first 4 MIDI channels are reserved when using HEX layers.....

I think I understand the logic - but not 100% sure about it.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

My understanding is that Channel 1 is reserved for Solo Synth, Drawbar Organ or Hex Mode sounds when you're using MIDI to sequence. That's not to say that PCM tunes can't be assigned to Channel 1 as well, but if you are sending MIDI info to the keyboard then it has to be on channel 1 to access either of those three modes.

• Like 1

Guest Paul Tyson

Thanks for the reply Happy Rat.

One of the things that has me confused - is that I went into Performance Mode - then used the "Mixer" function to assign "Tones" to MIDI channels.

I saved the Performance - thinking that the MIDI channel and Tone assignments would be stored to Memory on the XW-P1.

Apparently - this is not the case - because when I turned it OFF and then ON - the tone assignments went back to factory default settings.

I tried calling up the "User Bank" in Performance Mode - but it did not keep the MIDI channel or Tone settings that I had assigned previously.