So, PX-5S or new PX-560? Advice sought...

pax-eterna

I am considering moving back to a PX-5s, but I see the PX-560 is now on the near horizon...I can get the PX-5S at about $900 USD (I am in Oz it's 1150 here) but now that the 560 is here AND it has the Expression Pedal input, it has given me pause to re-consider...what advice would experienced users have here?

Obviously as the keybed is the dame (I assume) it is going to be based on sound and operational features and hardware. Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks

Both boards are lovely but each fills a different role.

The PX-5S is a "pro" board, meaning that it's set up for playing live/studio gigs, with lots of splitting/layering capability.

The 560 seems to be more of "home" board intended for non-gig playing, for fun at home, mainly due to the built-in speakers, limited splitting/layering, etc.

So if you're out playing gigs with a band or have a home studio setup, I would go with the 5S, if you're playing at home for fun, I'd go with the 560.

The 560 looks like it's built on a new platform, so I think that we can expect a pro board based on that platform sometime in the near future. For whatever reason, Casio decided to do the home board first with this platform.

First I need to point out that both the PX-5S and PX-560 are indeed pro-level boards and are part of the Privia Pro line.

Next, it's not that one is necessary better for the stage, but rather which one is better for your on-stage needs are.  If you need an expression pedal input, dedicated transpose buttons, and a large display then you want the PX-560.  If you can live  without those and want a more flexible sound engine and controller features, then the PX-5S is the best choice for you.  :)

• Like 1

Plus, the PX-560 also has the full hex layer synth for splitting and layering up to 12 layers across the two upper tones. Actually, from a soundesign standpoint, the PX-560 has an expanded palette of wav samples which can lead to different hex tones not possible on the PX-5s.  For midi controller options, the PX-5s is the way to go.