using P1 with analogue synths and as controller? Lots of other questions...

gilbodavid

Hi. Im interested in buying one of these. Can i use it to control analogue synths. I'm thinking of synths that dont have a keyboard, though ones that do too, as I will be buying a (cheap) analogue synth too (maybe old maybe relatively new).

I will be using it as 2nd keyboard with my gem promega 2, or a light casio weighted one (not yet bought) if i gig a lot. The px5s and px350 and px360 are what i would choose from if buying a stage piano.

Also, are the sounds in this not as good as those in the px5s, px350 or px360?

Sorry for all the questions, ive read threads for days trying to work all this out. I'll be doing modern rock, eg underdog by kasabian, and theres a lot of ground to cover with sounds and noises... and i'm trying to work out how to cover it all with one or two light keyboards and an analogue synth module, without spending the earth.

Also, to get the sounds I want, will that work, or would the G1 with its sampling ability be more useful?

I am also open to using an ipad or laptop if needed for soft synths if thats the best route live. it seems that sound quality is less important live, as even Kasabian dont take their analogue synths on the road, using novation controller keyboards and a lot of samples of their analogue synths and soft synths live, from what ive read.

I'm a beginner at all this, having played piano, and being more jazz focussed, and never having owned a synth before or gigged.

Also, ive read all i can on this synth as a midi controller, but no replies seem very detailed. It seems to offer all the functions that the better midi controllers would for live use. Is this true? If so, why would anyone buy a midi controller when all the functionality of the P1 is there too and it is so light?

Lastly, how much better are the new set of standard sounds that Mike has made for it than the factory ones. A lot of the forums complaints about it are to do with sound qulity of the supplied sounds. Does Mikes sounds bring it up to MOX6 type standard? 

I have a lot of questions!!!!! Sorry.

Thank you, david

Hi David,

Lots of questions, agreed.

First of all both the P1 and the G1 can be used as MIDI controllers either plugged directly thru the MIDI port or using a computer and a USB connection as a MIDI Router.

Your synth module will HAVE to have at least a MIDI port to function standalone with the XW as controller or a USB port to function with the XW as controller and computer as router.

If your module has CV ports only they will not work with any MIDI controller.  They will require a controller with a CV output.

The PX-5S is a later generation synth and does have better "bread and butter sounds" than the XW line.

Sampling is a nice feature to have in a G1 but you lose the Drawbar Organs and Hex Layers of the P1.  It depends on which sounds you consider to be more important.

Personally I own a P1 so I can't speak as to the quality of the new PX-5S soundset Mike created.

As to why the XW's are so cheap and why everyone doesn't own one, you can buy a fully functional 4 or 5 octave controller for about $120 these days if you really want to cheap out.

Then again, the Xw's strike a nice balance for price/value when it comes to built in sounds.  But then again for a lot of pros the XW's sounds, especially the PCM tones are weak and they opt for more expensive units with larger sample memories.

What it boils down to is what sounds good to you and how much additional processing and effects you add and what styles of music you are playing.

My best advice is to audition the instruments you plan on buying before you lay your money down and bring a good set of headphones so you can make objective decisions between different stores and output configurations.

Hope this helps,

Gary ;)

Hello David and welcome to the Casio Forums!

One really cool thing about the P1/G1 are the arpeggiators. Much more than the 4 or 5 simple patterns found on most synths - they have 100 preset patterns and you can make your own. Same with the PX-5S but the 5S has 4 independent arpeggiators. 

Here's a quick demo I made when I got my Volca keys. This is just scratching the surface: