Video Files on Forum ×

PX560 built in speakers.

chelsea4023

Hi,

I have not heard a PX560 yet but the pictures and articles do interest me. I currently own a PX5-S.

My question to any one who has heard the keyboard, is how does it sound through the internal speakers ? Particularly in the lower octaves.

Can you get much volume from it without distortion? For me, the internal speakers are the dealbreaker, otherwise changing from a PX5-S

would not be worth while.

Chris

I demoed the 560 at the Summer NAMM show. The speakers sounded great throughout the keyboard range: bass was strong without being muddy, mids and highs were nice and clear. I don't know what your idea of loud is, but I had no problem hearing them over the loud background noise at the NAMM show with no distortion.  They are 16 watts combined if that helps you.  I wouldn't hesitate to use them for light acoustic gig in a smaller room / home. Of course if you are up on stage in a larger venue or playing with amplified instruments you will need more reinforcement. 

• Like 1

Really looking forward to checking out the 560.  Expression port and dedicated transpose buttons are a great addition. 

Also comes with a sheet music rest (often overlooked)!  The really cool thing is these things are what PX-5S owners and even potential users in other forums were asking for. Very rare that such a large company listens to suggestions AND implements them like this. 

I measured in shop at px360 that the speakers offer about 90 db maxvolume. So normally enough on stage to hear what you are playing. If you use pa boxes for the auditorium, you will also get the additional bass for yourself.

At home I guess you will use your near field monitors with subwoofer, our at least a subwoofer.

Ralf

So is the PX560 like the PX5S without all the fancy controls?

No quite a different instrument. The PX-5S has a more powerful synth engine (PX-5S can do  dual hexlayers - PX-560 can only do one),  PX-5S has 4 arpeggiators, 560 has one). PX-5S is also a more flexible MIDI controller. BUT.. the 560 has dedicated transpose buttons, an assignable pedal input for an expression pedal, a large color touch screen and a music stand. PX-560 also has a multi-track MIDI recorder and backing rhythms. 

Everyone asks which one is better. The answer is not so simple -- it's more like "what's better for your needs". Of course the BEST answe is: GET BOTH! LOLOLOL  :lol: 

I'd use either the PX5s or the PX560 live.  I'm not needing the controller features of the PX5s, nor big hex features.  The PX5s has no band in a box stuff, rhythm tracks, etc?  How would the PX560 work live?  I need pianos, and rhodes and wurli

eps,  I'm about to get a PX160, but would consider the 560.

I'd use either the PX5s or the PX560 live.  I'm not needing the controller features of the PX5s, nor big hex features.  The PX5s has no band in a box stuff, rhythm tracks, etc?  How would the PX560 work live?  I need pianos, and rhodes and wurli

eps,  I'm about to get a PX160, but would consider the 560.

Hi Dave. The PX-560 has backing rhythm tracks and some cool other accompaniment features, while the PX-5S has a phrase sequencer and 4 arpeggiators that can do some cool "Band in a Box" stuff. Mike's You2 stage settings illustrates this perfectly. SOUND DEMO: https://soundcloud.com/casio-px-5s/you-two-px5s-casio  It has drums, eguitar arps, a bass tone and the pad. So there's a lot you can do on the PX-5S if you are a programmer.  

So the PX-560 only has one arp and one hexlayer available but that still leaves you a lot of possibilities, esp now that the drums and other backing instruments come from accompaniment section. It also has a mutitrack sequencer, the large color touchscreen (operation is like an iPhone / smartphone), expression pedal input, speakers, music rest and dedicated transpose buttons. So for certain people, this represents an ideal home AND stage board balance, if they don't need the deep hex sounds and all the sliders. 

The PX-160 is great if you just need piano and basic sounds. Push and play - no editing, no backing stuff. 

Couple other things

- The PX-5S, PX-560, PX-160 all share the same keyboardl, so the action is the same across the three.

- The basic piano sound is used on all three, but they sound different on each because how each board processes the piano samples.

So I hope that helps you decide. You should also read the PX-560 manual to see all it does.  http://support.casio.com/storage/en/manual/pdf/EN/008/Web_PX560-ES-1A_EN.pdf

As a side-note, I played the PX-560 a bit at NAMM and have spent a lot of time on the CGP-700  (same touchscreen).  The color touchscreen is really a game changer and makes editing so easy, If you can navigate an iphone, you can easily work this. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply, Scott.   I'm buying one of these based on your recommendation.  Processing the piano samples is the difference.  For live use which, PX-5S, PX-560, PX-160, PX-360, CP-700, has the best sound?

PX-5S or PX-560. They have the more advanced DSP to let  you sculpt the sound on the fly. Many times a piano sounds great at home, then you get to the venue and it sounds muddy. Having quick access to EQ and effects is crucial. 

If I played out a lot,   I would probably go for the PX-560, It just has so many useful functions for the live player. 

I too played around with the CP-700 and now question why the PX-5s is not being retrofitted with the new screen. By the way, that screen could be a tad larger me thinks.

If you mean adding it to the existing PX-5S that is not possible. If you mean adding it to future models that is what is happening now with the CGP-700, PX-360, and PX-560. 

PX-5S can do  dual hexlayers - PX-560 can only do one

Are you sure about this? According to

http://www.casio.com/products/Digital_Pianos_&_Keyboards/Privia_Digital_Pianos/PX-560

The PX-560 features Casio’s Hex Layer technology, borrowed from the flagship Privia Pro PX-5S. This means you can create massive splits and layers, with four zones and a total of 14 layers at once

I know there's only one split point, so the "four zones" aren't the same as on the PX5S (they don't all have their own independent key ranges), but still, to get 14 layers of sound, you'd have to be able to layer two hexlayers (that gets you to 12, and you could add two more individual sounds to get to 14). Or is that a mistake on Casio's web site?

And actually, even then, I'm not sure how you could layer 14, if two of your four zones have to be below your split point and two have to be above. So either way, something seems amiss here, or I am misunderstanding something...

Just an update: A new PX-560 user took a DB meter out and measured the loudness of the speakers from about 3 feet. His meter measured 91.5 decibels, which he says is the same volume  as his acoustic piano - so they seem to put out some volume!

That's great info. I wonder how that compares to the PX-350 (the previous top-of-line slab with speakers).

Are you sure about this? According to

http://www.casio.com/products/Digital_Pianos_&_Keyboards/Privia_Digital_Pianos/PX-560

I know there's only one split point, so the "four zones" aren't the same as on the PX5S (they don't all have their own independent key ranges), but still, to get 14 layers of sound, you'd have to be able to layer two hexlayers (that gets you to 12, and you could add two more individual sounds to get to 14). Or is that a mistake on Casio's web site?

And actually, even then, I'm not sure how you could layer 14, if two of your four zones have to be below your split point and two have to be above. So either way, something seems amiss here, or I am misunderstanding somethin

I asked about hex tones and the PX-560 in the facebook group and Mike answered.  The PX-560 does not have a restriction on hex layer tones like the PX-5s.  2 upper and 2 lower tones can all be hex layer tones at once, 12 "layers" for upper and 12 for lower.  

Btw...The "14 layer" sentence on the Casio site looks like a copy and paste from the PX-5s description.  

• 3 weeks later...

My PX-560 came today.  I must tell you I am impressed even though I am just scratching the surface of what it can do.  It seems like I have control over almost every conceivable tone and function.  The touch screen makes it so easy to work with.  Thanks to PianoManChuck and his excellent CGP-700, PX-360 and PX-560 videos, I feel almost at home with my 560, though I know I have much yet to learn.

My PX-5S was way beyond my abilities. I was frustrated by my inability to take advantage of most of what it could do.  It is now with a real musician who had it doing things I couldn't even begin to master.  My wife asked me why I couldn't make it sound that way.  I just shrugged my shoulders and hung my head.  Regardless, the new owner has written me to let me know he is quite pleased.

I believe the 560 will give me some of the advance features of the 5S.  Perhaps with time, I will be able to take advantage of some of them and begin to sound like a real musician.  That's my goal.

I look forward to reading your posts and learning from you.  I am grateful for this forum.  Thank you all for being there and being so willing to share.

• Like 2