Video Files on Forum ×

Lose Delay when split

It depends upon what tone you assign to the LOWER (LEFT) side of the split point.  The delay in the Dance Piano 2 tone is an effect.  You can only have an effect active on one side of the split point or the other, but not both at the same time.  If you assign Dance Piano 2 to the UPPER (RIGHT)  side of the split point, and take the default 056 Acoustic Bass 1 tone for the LOWER (LEFT) tone, then you should still have the delay on the UPPER (RIGHT) side of the split point.  If this is not the case, then you may have a problem with your keyboard, or you may need to do a factory reset.  You can see how this works by assigning Dance Piano 2 to UPPER and Acoustic Bass 1 to LOWER and verifying that the UPPER still has the delay.  Now, assign Dance Piano 2 to the LOWER as well.  You will notice that the LOWER now has the delay while the UPPER no longer has it.  At this point, you can not automatically restore the effect (delay) to the UPPER by assigning a "non-effect" tone to the LOWER.  To restore effects to the UPPER, you have to back completely out by turning SPLIT off and starting over from the beginning.  If the LOWER tone uses an effect, it commandeers the effects engine and terminates it for the UPPER tone.  This is a limitation of the effects engine, not the SPLIT feature.

In your case, it appears that you are assigning a LOWER tone that uses an effect, thereby terminating the delay for your UPPER tone.  If you really want that tone for your LOWER tone, and can do without its effect, you can edit it to remove the effect, save it as a USER TONE, and assign that USER TONE as your LOWER tone, leaving the delay intact for your UPPER tone.

The limitations you are refering to are pretty much typical for boards in this price range.  In order to avoid them, you will need to get into the $1000-$1200 USD price range, and even those will have some limitations compared to the $1500 USD and above units.

Not that it will change anything for you, but you might want to read through the following thread, as well as some of the other threads in this sub-forum for hints and tips on how others have tried to deal with some of these limitations.  For those of us who are/were owners of the older pre-CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX units, we tend to see the new models as a line of "trade-offs", where some of the more convenient and "pro" (?) features of the older models were "traded-off" for rhythm editing, advanced (?) MIDI sequencing capabilities, audio recording and a set of sliders on the 7XXX units, all of which suffer from their own set of somewhat short sighted limitations.  As for myself, I am fairly content with my CTK-7000 and WK-7500, as they perform pretty much as I expected for keyboards in this price range.

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/6555-my-first-thoughts-on-wk7600plus-grand-piano-setting-need-some-help/

As for the lack of 5-Pin-DIN MIDI connectors, mentioned in the above thread, even Yamaha has begun dropping those from their keyboards in this price range and below.  I think the main driver of this is the attitude of the younger generation (the main target market for these units) that any keyboard that is not connected to a computer is totally useless and have expressed no understanding of or interest in 5-Pin-DIN MIDI.  They want a simple, quick, single plug and play connection to their computer.  I think most keyboard manufacturers, rather than catoring to this marketing demand, are actually taking advantage of it for cost savings.  The typical comment about 5-Pin-DIN MIDI being cheap only considers the material cost of the MIDI UART chip while ignoring the cost of the connectors as well as the design and manufacturing costs of physically mounting this extra hardware.

While owners of the older models had developed successful methods of gigging professionally with them, the new models seem to speak volumes about Casio's attitude of relegating them further into the home-hobbyist market, but then even the Yamaha forums are replete with similar owner comments about their middle and top of the line arranger keyboards.  I guess the rule of thumb here still remains "if it has a lot of knobs, sliders, pads and other real time controls without rhythms and onboard speakers, then it is a "pro" unit, but if it lacks most of or all of the real time controls and has rhythms and onboard speakers, then it is a home hobbyist unit, and those who are unaware of or ignore this are bound to be frustrated, at least, or disappointed, at worst.

Best of luck with your 7600 !

Regards,

Ted

So basically it's called a workstation but it's not. It's a hobbyist unit. They should change the name because it's confusing. I decided to buy this one because I've told my self it's a "Workstation" mean it will have every thing to easily create, edit and import and export sound. And I've both the higher model thinking it's going to be so much better. But finally it's a best-buy grade toy.

BTW when I play with a split + layer and 1 beat, i can here some beat skip like if it's unable to deliver it while playing many notes. Is that a limitation too?

Sadly, "workstation" is just a word - nothing more - and a visit to several manufacturer's websites will quickly indicate that the word "workstation" has vastly different meanings to different manufacturers.  Roland's current offerings in the field of "workstations" are the FA-06 and 08 units, but if you had paid the going rate of $1200 USD for an FA-06 expecting it to do what the WK-7600 does (since they are both called "workstations"), then you would have been sorely disappointed, because for all it does do, the FA-06 can not do what the WK-7600 does.  While the FA-06 can generate rhythm tracks, after a fashion, it is not an ARRANGER, which is exactly what the WK-7600 is and is intended to be - it is an Arranger Workstation.  Like all arrangers, it is intended to be used primarily as a "one-man-band" entertainment unit.  The FA-06 alone would not fair very well at this.  A few drum and bass loops and an arpeggiator do not an arranger make.  Yet they are both called "workstations", and the Casio WK's were using that moniker many, many, many years before the FA-06 was even a glimmer in its designer's eye.  The lesson here is that you can not assume what a keyboard's capabilities are based upon what it is called.  As for Casio, the WK stands for Workstation Keyboard which has 76 keys.  Each WK unit has a 61 key CTK equivalent with all other features being identical.  CTK  stands for Casio Tone Keyboard, indicating that it is a portable arranger keyboard, and that is exactly how the Casio websites list them.  So, in this case, "workstation" is used to indicate a 76 key unit in its particular (CTK/WK) model line.  As I think of all the different workstations through the years (many of which I have owned), every model had its own set of limitations or short-sighted design quirks with user comments that were strongly positive or negative.  To some, it did what they needed/wanted it to do, while to others, it was just a cheap piece of junk that they could not do anything with, so I guess the lesson at this point is that no one keyboard will be all things to all users at all times, and that is not necessarily the fault of the keyboard,  If you are really that displeased with the WK-7600, perhaps it is time to move on to something that better suits your needs, but I think you are going to find that at a much increased price, unless you can find a used unit in good condition.

As for your latest problem:

"BTW when I play with a split + layer and 1 beat, i can here some beat skip like if it's unable to deliver it while playing many notes. Is that a limitation too?"

I am not certain what it is that you are trying to do, but I layered strings with a string ensemble on the upper keyboard and put a string ensemble in the split lower so as to really stress the polyphony capabilities of the sound engine, then turned on Accompaniment and played triads and four note chords with with both hands with four or five different rhythms on both the CTK-7000 and the WK-7500 and did not detect any problems.  I was really surprised that I did not run out of polyphony somewhere in this process,

Well,  I get this problem playing something really simple like the "Halloween" Song, I mean it's pretty basic, the melody is pretty simple one no chords, I don't even use accompaniment, I use regular split for my left hand, and the rhythm is a single base drum. I mean you probably know the song from the movie. It's very basic.

But randomly it skip a beat but only when am playing. 

The WK-7600 has 64 voice poly so I don't think this is a case of too many notes, but if you are running heavy effects with it that could be an issue. I'm with Brad: post an audio clip so we can hear what's going on.

Yes, I'll try to do that this weekend

Thank you