DSP in the XW.

The many sound sculpting and function in the XW synth can be edited and even after these many moons have passed since I've gotten my G1 synth its simple parts even get me by surprise.

I've always used the standard form of the DSP , Compression , Flanger , Delay and such and in the beginning tried the hard way by changing them with General CC messages. Which didn't give the full or fixed spectrum for usage but still workable. 

First time got frowns how they made sounds well sound like for instance delay 1 to 5 subtle changes holding single notes would let the effect apparent by releasing the note. As well with chords. The impression was that it would go on while the notes where played on hold. Frankly a great deal of the DSP feels like an after though when applied to tones the tones rise and then the DSP kicks in. 

Some of the DSP are an exception like Pan , Distortion  etc. Still considering the way one could do sound designing it  could works  well into an advantage in sound sculpting and that what I did. But to apply those advantage one needs to program the desired effect by editing an DSP store it and later us multi-key to switch between several DSP. Many way's to accomplish using DSP's.

One thing that surprise me while building a performance patch was when using DSP compression on two tones but I did not realize to have selected this also for channel 10 which Ive used for hi-hats. While playing with both patches founding it odd like hey the hi-hats are getting quieter if I play something.  And get louder again when I stop playing notes. Now I had a new thing to use when I'm going to build a patch how powerful is that even for Step Sequencing, With a solo-synth patch its a no-brainer but to expand on that is even greater. 

I wont go into the process of doing that and spare you guys on that part it simple to set it up but getting the desired DSP chain is another thing but purely in a sound design sense.  

Its pretty remarkable there are Pro's and Con's to the DSP like to much and and it sounds like digitized metal ringing or the flangers a bit sounding like a ping pong fixed at one point in a plane field. But depending on usage can give a rewarding sense of accomplishment when creating a specific sound set.

Managing wise one file for all those changed parameters for tones , dsp , arpeggio would be a first though addition giving room to countless sound or performances making.

Effects have long been the "secret sauce" of sound design. The Roland D-50 was the first synth to have a full DSP section and was a huge part of its sound (and success).  Amazing how just a little delay and make an otherwise dull sound come alive. 

07ab226.jpg

That was the secret behind Korg's DW8000 synth too, as simply adding an onboard (stereo) digital delay really opened up the sound in comparison to many other synths of the time. 

I miss my Korg DW 8000.  That was my first synth.  I got it back in the late 80's.  I am loving my XW P1 though and not looking back too hard.  Looking forward to adding the Privia PX 5S to my rig.  I think I would be totally satisfied with the XW P1 paired with the Privia PX 5S.  I would be in vintage keyboard heaven.  Actually will be... I'm getting the Privia within a year... gotta have it.  Wish the Leslie simulation was better though.  My Boss RT 20 fixes that though.  I think they should improve the Leslie sim and make it usable with all the sounds in the board.  Maybe I'm asking for too much though for $500.00.  Bottom line, I love my XW P1 and know that I will be in love with the Privia PX 5S.  Used to be a Korg guy.  I am now a Casio guy... never thought I would say that.  It helps though to have the collection of quality effects pedals that I've picked up throughout the years.  Along with the RT 20, I have my Space Echo pedal hooked up to the XW P1.  So much fun... I cannot stop playing it.

• Like 3

I miss my Korg DW 8000.  That was my first synth.  I got it back in the late 80's.  I am loving my XW P1 though and not looking back too hard.  Looking forward to adding the Privia PX 5S to my rig.  I think I would be totally satisfied with the XW P1 paired with the Privia PX 5S.  I would be in vintage keyboard heaven.  Actually will be... I'm getting the Privia within a year... gotta have it.  Wish the Leslie simulation was better though.  My Boss RT 20 fixes that though.  I think they should improve the Leslie sim and make it usable with all the sounds in the board.  Maybe I'm asking for too much though for $500.00.  Bottom line, I love my XW P1 and know that I will be in love with the Privia PX 5S.  Used to be a Korg guy.  I am now a Casio guy... never thought I would say that.  It helps though to have the collection of quality effects pedals that I've picked up throughout the years.  Along with the RT 20, I have my Space Echo pedal hooked up to the XW P1.  So much fun... I cannot stop playing it.

I have a Korg DW8000, though it's back in the UK until next year. It's a fun synth (the analogue filter(s) is(are) WILD), and it's capable of some interesting sounds and great basses. It is quite limited in comparison to the XW, though if they could incorporate the DW's filters into the XW we'd have a monster of a synth. I also have a Roland JX3P, which I find a much more interesting synth to play around with than the DW, with the JX being a true 2 oscillator DCO anaolgue synth versus the digital (non modifiable) wave forms of the DW. I like the JX3P so much that I splashed out on the KiwiTechnics 3P upgrade, which though not cheap actually gives the JX so much more control, features and power. I've yet to get the upgrade installed, but as per the DW it's still back in the UK until I get my stuff shipped over next year.

Meanwhile, my XW's are also still back in the UK (man do I miss having them to hand...) They can do lots, lots more than both the JX and DW, though to be fair the JX and DW can both do things that are unique to them also. Fingers crossed I can ship all of them, and the many more Casios in my collection (CZ, VZ, HT, FZ, MT etc.) over to my new home in Florida next Spring so I can get back to recording again.

Though I also own a Korg and a Roland, I have to say I am first and foremost a Casio guy!  

• Like 1

But what do you do now if you're fingers itch to play a keyboard Chas?

At the moment, all I can do is play "Air Keyboard"...  :(

Though my other half is having their Kawai grand piano (6' 8") delivered to our new home next week, so I can at least have that to play with (if I am allowed to get near it!) It will be good for those "Billy Currie" moments, though my piano 'skills' don't even come close the those of the synth/ piano meister himself!