Video Files on Forum ×

Chains in Performances.

CairnsFella

Sorry. Me again.

Just re-re-re watching the A G1 workshop with Mike Martin.

It was stated that chains could not be saved within performances. Assuming (Perhaps wrongly) that this is an XW common feature, I then read the same question being answered by Mike as both yes AND no (Not picking on Mike, merely that it was he that stated this.).

Taking a democratic approach, the 'No's would have it, but thats clearly not a very scientific approach.

Anyone have a definitive stance on this?

Assuming my XW-P1 is designed as is the G1 in this part of it at least (looking at both manuals it appears to function pretty much identically regarding sequences, chains and performances) here it is....my best guess...not definitive....!

When creating a chain, you must be in sequence mode-you are chaining individual sequences together, but must be stored and played back in "chain" mode. Each sequence of course can be made of separate "patterns' which can be played in sequencer or performance mode, if you store the sequence in a performance also. Here's the problem.

Page E-51 in the XW-P1 manual states that the "chain" function" must be turned off to program a sequence. I have not been able to bring a "chain" of sequences into a performance-only a single sequence, of course with its "pattern" variations. So I'm deducing that the "chain" and "performance" functions are designed as two separate entities, possibly due to cpu use-might take more computing power to run a full chain from a performance than the XWs can handle, since you can store alot of live/sequence playing data info into a performance.

I also see the manual stating that a "chain" must be saved and played back only in "chain" mode. I don't see in the list of performance parameters any specific function to attach a chain to a performance. So my answer on this one would be no. There are others here who may have found a way to do this but I'm not one of them!

• Like 1

The chain indeed works pretty much the same, But the G1 has multi-key which its possible to assign various chains. 

That way an Performance can switch live chained sequence parts  its like a sequence automation function. With

multi-key its possible to use a wide range of chained sequences.  

Also because a chain can be assigned to any sequence if you have a sequence called "Trap_Samba 1" its possible to 

have a sequenced pattern part played in a specific order called "Trap_Samba 2"  :D only by pressing chain the pre-programmed

parts switch over turn it off and it go's back to the previous sequence. It works great with Future_house, Toxic Trap, Pure EDM and

Epic Room Anthems  :D

In a live situation with performance a key would get assigned to switch to a specific chain.

Any other situation a hand switch may suffice using the user preset list.

Its pretty neet XD.  

Thanks to you both.

I must sadly say that without yet owning an XW it is sometimes hard to follow through the various 'terms' as easily as I'm sure it would be if the keyboard were in front of me. I 'think' I follow though..... and at the end of the day, 'no' means 'no'  :rolleyes:

However, the multi-function key solution on the G1 does appear to 'maybe' be even better !!! (Both options would have been nice of course, but that's just being greedy).

As always, your assistance is much appreciated.

PS. XW-Addict. Did you really have to use the names 'Samba 1' 'and Samba 2' as your examples !!!! Sounds too much like a 1980's home electric organ auto-accompaniment, and does nothing for the XW's image.

Perhaps you could edit and replace with, errmmm .... for example "Brazilian HARDBeatz" !!!

... Only kidding  ;)

• Like 1

mmmmmmm "Bossa Nova..."  "Samba..."  "Merengue..."  "Calypso..."

Wake up and smell the coffee man!  Retro is making a comeback!

For instance look up a band called Dread Zeppelin!  They do old Led Zeppelin tunes to a Reggae Beat!!!!

Or Beatallica.  They do Beatles covers in a death metal style.

Or check out a band called Postmodern Jukebox.  They cover just about every modern song in some format or other from the past two centuries.

To me, if it has a beat and it doesn't give me nosebleeds it qualifies as "music." :D :D :D

Gary ;)

• Like 1

mmmmmmm "Bossa Nova..."  "Samba..."  "Merengue..."  "Calypso..."

Wake up and smell the coffee man!  Retro is making a comeback!

For instance look up a band called Dread Zeppelin!  They do old Led Zeppelin tunes to a Reggae Beat!!!!

Or Beatallica.  They do Beatles covers in a death metal style.

Or check out a band called Postmodern Jukebox.  They cover just about every modern song in some format or other from the past two centuries.

To me, if it has a beat and it doesn't give me nosebleeds it qualifies as "music." :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Whahaha epic findings never heard of those bands but they sure match the requirement :D :D :D :D