Video Files on Forum ×

CDP-230R as a MIDI controller to Garageband?

Ashi20

Hi,
I have recently bought a CDP-230R piano. I hooked it up with my Macbook pro via USB and was able to play software instruments in Apple Garageband successfully. I was wondering can I use CDP-230R's stop/play/FF/Rewind buttons or sustain pedal as a MIDI controller to control Garageband's transport control? I have no previous experience in MIDI, so I couldn't understand the MIDI implementation chart included in the manual. I attached the chart here. Any help on this subject would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

post-6163-0-38710700-1445284634_thumb.jp

According to the chart-this would indicate that the CDP230 will send and receive "hold", "soft" or "sustenuto" messages via midi according to your sustain pedal position, but not transport controls. I am not familiar with Garageband, but most software is designed with specific "control change" numbers already assigned to specific functions that can be controlled by an external midi keyboard (or other midi device) providing the midi device is designed to transmit those "control change" numbers. The "0" in the chart indicates that, the "X" means it won't.

There are specific control change numbers built into the midi specifications for sending/receiving transport control messages to devices that respond to these. Based on the CDP230 midi chart, I don't see these control change numbers on the list. Numbers 64, 66 and 67 are the control change messages the CDP will send to your software to control the typical uses for a sustain or soft pedal, so if you play virtual instruments in your computer (Instruments whose sound is created by the computer, not your CDP) you will be able to control those functions from the CDP into the computer. This also depends upon the computer software program. Again I'm not familiar with Garageband, but unless it is already designed to recognize those control change numbers, it may or may not respond as expected.

Some software programs allow you to re-assign control change numbers in their software routines-for example you could re-assign cc numbers 64, 66 and 67 to be your transport control change numbers-you have to look up the midi spec as I don't remember what these are but there are specific numbers assigned to transport controls. You would have to study Garageband to see if that is possible. Then when the sustain pedal is used, it will control that specific function. Remember, the sustain pedal is assigned to send a specific control number. There are 3 with the Casio pedals, so 3 separate control numbers. Theoretically, each could be a distinct transport function if you can re-assign the cc numbers that end up being on the receiving end of your software.

There are also hardware boxes (used to be) that would re-assign control numbers sent and received-would re-route cc numbers-you would be sending cc 64 but the box would change it to send whatever you wanted it to on the receiving end. Not sure if there are specific boxes currently that do this (can't keep up with everything!) And there may be a specific software program that you can use to do this also. In the Windows world, there are. In the Apple world, I'm not sure, not too familiar with that platform recently. Sorry if I got a little too technical or involved, but hope this information helps.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot Jockeyman123 for your detailed reply! Really appreciate your generosity. Actually I find it rather inconvenient to control the transport buttons on the software via my casio pedal even if it is possible to re-assign it with the help of some midi translating software or hardware you suggest (Then I'll have to draw the sustain  after recording the piano in the Garageband as I won't be able to use it while playing anymore). If the start/stop or FF/Rewind buttons in the CDP230R is not programmed to send any midi message at all (let alone being able to send a fixed control change number or being freely assignable) then I think It'd be wise to invest in a separate midi transport controller like Behringer x-touch mini or use a midi keyboard controller with built in transport control, while using CDP230R only as a tone generator (via midi out from the software sequencer).

Thanks again for your help!