Video Files on Forum ×

PX 850 badly out of tune

Hi

My PX 850 is very out of tune. I suspect it is my daughter hitting the keys randomly with operation lock off.

I have tried turning backup and operation locks off (long beep on both) and restarting the keyboard, but it is still out of tune.

I thought that turning backup off meant that all settings were forgotten on restart, but it doesn't seem to work.

Is there some other way I can factory reset the keyboard?

If not, and anyway, is it possible to zero the tuning without having to retune it incrementally?

Thanks

Reading this post. Scott there is a reference on page e-24 of the 850 manual for selecting alternate tunings which are selected by a series of key presses called 'temperament select". it is possible by randomly banging the keys (and the function key) the keyboard has shifted into an alternate scale tuning which might sound very much out of tune, looking at the selection of alternate tunings. Since this keyboard uses keyboard keys to do this, i guess it could happen.  Hope this helps.

Hi and welcome to the Casio Forums. When you say "out of tune", do you mean out of tune with itself (ie the notes sound like a badly tuned piano) or it's not at concert pitch (ie when you play with an instrument at 440 it sounds out of tune).

Thanks for the replies. Yes it's perfectly in tune with itself, but not at concert pitch. I'm not sure whether it is the alternative tunings or the tuning function which is causing this. Is there some way I can reset the tuning to the factory defaults (and concert 440) ?

I don't think there is a factory reset on the PX-850. To adjust the tuning, press  and hold the FUNCTION key and use the first "G" key to tune down and the G# key to tune up.  I don't have an 850 so I don't know exactly how much it changes with each press  and there's no display - so you will have to use a tuner or a tone generator ( 

) to find 440. 

tune.jpg

http://support.casio.com/storage/en/manual/pdf/EN/008/PX850_EN.pdf