Video Files on Forum ×

Taken the plunge and ordered a PD1!

Chas

Well, Xmas is not far away and I've had no instruments to play since I arrived in the USA back in August 10th. I saw a floor model PD1 advertised for sale on Amazon at a really good price ($225 + shipping at $7.50), plus it was described "as new". How could I resist?!!!!

Now eagerly awaiting its arrival at my new home in Florida! It will be my third XW (to add to my P1 and G1 - those are back in the UK), and another Casio to add to my arsenal of all manner of Casio models from baby VL-1's to MZ, CZ, VZ, HT etc etc.!

Really looking forward to getting my hands on the PD1, another fun, unique and oddball gem from Casio  :D  

• Like 1

Hey it will match your new clock!  :D

A lot of people don't really "get" the PD-1. All they see is the demos and can't see the forest for the trees, as they say.  Their loss. There is so much more to it than EDM or hip-hop demos out there.

The effects section alone is worth the cost of admission - some really cool FX in there. It's also loaded with just about every classic and modern drum sample ever created. Then you have the sampler and the step sequencer. Plus the synth section. And the classic Casio beats.  

Probably the most versatile piece of gear in my possession. I call it my "Swiss Army Knife" - it's even red! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL 

• Like 1

Hey it will match your new clock!  :D

A lot of people don't really "get" the PD-1. All they see is the demos and can't see the forest for the trees, as they say.  Their loss. There is so much more to it than EDM or hip-hop demos out there.

The effects section alone is worth the cost of admission - some really cool FX in there. It's also loaded with just about every classic and modern drum sample ever created. Then you have the sampler and the step sequencer. Plus the synth section. And the classic Casio beats.  

Probably the most versatile piece of gear in my possession. I call it my "Swiss Army Knife" - it's even red! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL 

Huh sense some mixed  foot hold here it really looks like a toy-ish *wink with fancy stuff on it the form factor suggest popular genre of today EDM hip-hop , Djing and such. I mean it's for fun right a try out and discovery instrument for newbie's.

I don't want to ruin any belief  :P  but unless an C instrument with pads can't let me do this.

Sold isn't going to be an option here. My fingers hurt already watching that guy.

The little red box of magic tricks arrived a few days back, though I've hardly had a chance to get to work on it yet. I do love its feel, and the pads are nice and responsive. A quick flick through the banks/ patches shows some great sounds in there, though I've barely had a chance to read the manual and get my head round the interface and start really using its features. As things settle down here, I plan on spending a lot more time with it! Oh, and it takes pride of place in the room that will become my "studio", not least because its the only piece of musical equipment that I have on this side of the Atlantic!

post-2103-0-11932000-1446523759.jpg

post-2103-0-43960200-1446523770.jpg

post-2103-0-11932000-1446523759_thumb.jp

post-2103-0-43960200-1446523770_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I always knew the trackformer deserved its own office.   ;)

The unit does feel good doesn't it?  I should not have been surprised. Casio has always had some series plastic mojo. 

It does indeed Brad. Casio have built some very solid machines over the years also. The bigger CZ's, the FZ series and the VZ series are built like tanks (with a lot of metal construction). The MZ2000, despite being all plastic, oozes quality. Even the XW's being as light as they are, have a good feel about their build with the flexible plastic used.

And yes, the PD1 gets its own office by default! Then again, it's so portable I've been tinkering with it on the sofa and also on the breakfast table. I don't think I'd be able to do that with my CZ-1!  :D

• Like 1

Still not having much time to spend on the little red box of tricks (Grrrr, moving house is sooooo much work!) I did manage to spend an hour running over some of its capabilities last night, and also downloaded the more intensive manual from the Casio website. Jumped right in, though I think I should have read the more basic manual first (don't run before you can walk etc.) I did get some beats running, and the sounds are really good. Great to see/ hear Casio finally putting some excellent presets onto their machines after having CZ's and VZ's, where the presets barely scratched the surface of those . I need to get my head round the workflow a bit, as similar to the P1/ G1's, you need to change your approach to fit with the new user interface. And I need to get a USB cable so I can start using the data editor and have fun loading my own samples on to it.

One query I do have though, is that none of the presets I've tried so far have velocity sensitive pads. According to the manual, the factory setting is for the pads to be velocity sensitive. I've tried going into the "velocity" setting and fiddling around with the value, though unless it's 127 all I seem to do is make the pads quieter. Am I missing something very obvious?

Still hoping to make some more time to spend on the little PD1. I am already feeling it's going to be an excellent little machine to inspire and create with. 

@BradMZ:

Thanks Brad, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I believe that one of the reasons I have excelled in electronic music is that I have learned to "RTFM" (Read the manual) I read the forums, I watch the videos for short cuts that are not in the manuals, and If all else fails, I google it before asking someone in a forum to read the manual to me;-)

• Like 2