Possible problem with Privia PX-120 MIDI output

nramos5

First, I apologize if there is any other similar posts, but I could not see a definite resolution for this problem.

I am having problem with the Privia PX-120 MIDI output when playing more than one note at the same time.  Following are some details to explain this situation.

I have the PX-120 connected to a Windows 7 computer via a MIDI to USB interface and I have recorded the MIDI output with MIDI OX.  The results captured in MIDI OX are shown below,

If I press a single key, the MIDI output is as expected.  As you see below, Every time a key is pressed, a Note On event is registered.  When the key is released a Note Off is registered.  From my understanding, this is the correct sequence of MIDI events.

Single key pressed at a time:

TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT               

00024A98   1  --     90    3C    42    1  C  4 Note On               

00024CAE   1  --     80    3C    40    1  C  4 Note Off              

0002531A   1  --     90    30    3A    1  C  3 Note On               

0002558B   1  --     80    30    40    1  C  3 Note Off    

If I press two keys at the same time, once the two keys are released at the same time, the MIDI output is NOT as expected.  As you see below, When two keys are pressed at the same time, two consecutive Note On events are registered. This is what I would expect.  When the two keys are released a Note Off is registered followed by a Note On event.  I understand that I should see two consecutive Note Off events.

Two keys pressed at the same time and release at the same time:

TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT                        

00025E3A   1  --     90    30    40    1  C  3 Note On               

00025E3F   1  --     90    3C    43    1  C  4 Note On               

0002639C   1  --     80    3C    40    1  C  4 Note Off              

000263A2   1  --     90    30    40    1  C  3 Note On               

I have tried changing tone settings on the piano from modern to classic, but that did not help.  Please let me know if there are any settings or other configurations to resolve this situation.  If this is a malfunction of the piano's MIDI interface, is there anything Casio can do to resolve this?  I called the Casio customer support, but was told that the only way to request support for MIDI related problems was via this forum.

Attached you can see a screenshot of the entire output as recorded by MIDI OX.

post-6210-0-94031400-1445990182_thumb.gi

Thank you all in advance.

To my knowledge, Casio has not certified or recommended any usb midi converters.

I did a quick search of the Hosa USM-422 and found a Casio PX-100 owner who says it works with that model.  The first cable I bought was another brand cable similar to the Hosa model.  It malfunctioned whenever more than 1 note was played.  I exchanged it for the E-Mu Xtab 1x1 and have had no problems with it.  I don't think anything in the PX-120 or PC software is the problem.  I would try another cable first...if at all possible.  Maybe someone else has some ideas and will chime in.  

Yup different cable. If you have another 5 pin MIDI device try a direct MIDI between the two, Also maybe try a true audio interface box (beg borrow or buy one (you can always return it LOLOLOL). 

As for your question if there does happen to be wrong with it would Casio address it? Well that unit is how old now?  :)

Good thing is I agree with Brad that this doesn't look like an issue with the Privia.  

Thank you for your replies.  For one thing, Casio's Technical Support will not respond to any MIDI related questions; not even for newer models.  I know mine is old.  No bullying please. :)  Casio's technical support directed me to this forum or I could send the piano to an authorized service center for troubleshooting and possible repair.  

I already ordered the  E-Mu Xtab 1x1 suggested so hopefully that works.

Thanks again...

• Like 1

• 4 years later...