Video Files on Forum ×

PX-560 does it have a Sequencer or not?

tkarl

Color me confused.  I cannot seem to determine if the new Px-560 has a 16+1 channel sequencer.  Casio does not seem to want to call anything on the Px-560 a sequencer, rather a "Midi Recorder".  What is the difference?  Ok, compared to the actual sequencer like the one on the Korg Kross.  More confusion: the Px-5s has a "Phrase Sequencer!  There is NO mention the Px-560's manual of the word "sequencer".  Please assist, thanks!

If you're using a PC/DAW, most often, that will be the source of your sequencer, so then the presence of a sequencer in the board itself is somewhat moot.

People sometimes want a sequencer in their boards if they want to use the sequences in live performances (i.e. without a computer), or if they just prefer the workflow of doing everything within the keyboard and not connecting to a computer.

All you need in a board to be able to connect it to a PC/DAW would be the MIDI or USB connections.

• Like 3

I received my PX-560 yesterday and can promise you, you're in for a treat! None of the photos I've seen do it justice. The blue is absolutely gorgeous.

I haven't had time to get deep into any functions yet, but having owned the PX-5S, the PX-560 is a pleasure to navigate, with the new touch screen.

OK, it isn't quite as much of a 'synth powerhouse', but it does offer some beautiful tones and features, combined with one of the best actions I've every played. 

The PX-560 fills a gap in the market, because it provides the ease of use of home keyboards and digital pianos, with the editing and sequencing capabilities of synths and workstations. I imagine it will be a huge hit with both studio and live musicians for all of those reasons. 

On a personal level, I think we've become so used to owning instruments with huge specifications features and gimmicks, but the most important thing is how an instrument makes you feel. I haven't enjoyed playing this much in a long time! 

Enjoy yours when you get it and I'll do my best to help and advise if I can. 

Greetings from England! :) 

• Like 3

Congratulations, and thanks for your brief report!  There are no user reviews here in the US that I can find.  If you ever decide to create a review on the Px-560, please let us know.  I am saving up for one, meanwhile all I have is drool, desire, and a spreadsheet where I weighed different specs, showing that the 560 was far better for me than the 5s.  Good luck with your new instrument!  Hello from the state of Illinois in the US!  :)

• Like 1

I'm actually planning on making some videos demonstrating and reviewing the PX-560. I need to get to know it better first, but as soon as I have, I'll get something up on YouTube and share the links here. I'm sure our good friends Mike Martin and Rich Formidoni will be releasing some helpful videos soon. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

agree with DamianMerlorUK..I prefer PX-560 to PX-5S..the touch screen makes the navigation through all menus much easier than PX-5S..the units has already been sold out by our sales team before even arrived in my country :s so i dont have a chance to try it yet, but i think it is pretty similar to px-360 except for several things

There is a significant step up in the PX560 compared to my PX350 and especially in the sequencer department. After studying the manual it is definitely a significant step up in many very useful features. Too bad I can't afford to make the change. I would based on what I've learned.

1) The PX350 and 560 both have the same 16 tracks and a system track. The PX560 has the ability to set pan, volume levels, send levels for effects for each track and quantize, plus copy and paste for tracks and parts of tracks. It has an actual "mixer" for setting and controlling these parameters. This is a significant improvement-the PX350 can only do this when connected to software-I cannot perform any of these editing functions internally. This qualifies it IMO as a true hardware sequencer.

2) There is a huge step up in the DSP control settings. The PX560 can choose a much larger variety of effects and these can be edited-the PX350 can only change reverb and chorus and these are available in limited 3-stage settings as is "brilliance" a limited equalizer setting.

3) The touchscreen-I have been using a touchscreen (a monochromatic one) on my Korg D16 recorder and it makes everything much easier to access. The multi-color touchscreen looks fantastic-one thing I dislike about the PX350 is the difficulty in getting around with the various pushbuttons-not a terrible arrangement but the touchscreen centralizes so many functions. I can see this will speed up any thing one would need to do. In a live environment with sometimes very poor lighting for the keyboard player, will make a huge difference. The only thing I've played which was better was the huge display screen in my (sigh) old broken GEM SK76-which did not have a touchscreen but had immediate access to every imaginable setting from its buttons on the sides of the huge screen. I still miss that!

4) Big difficulty in the PX350-one cannot set volume individually for splits and layers-I can set one of those layers or splits but not the other and it is awkward to do. Now I see a touchscreen that lets you 1) pick the part of the split or layer you want and 2) set the volume level for it, independently of the other. Very nice and much more useful in a live or recording environment.

5) Live control of synth parameters with control knobs-this qualifies as a programmable synth (IMO) as it allows for editing specific sound parameters and saving as an edited tone-like the XWs and like my older PX575. Very nice!

The PX360, although also a nice step up, does not have all the sequencer adjustable parameters as the PX560 although there are a few added sequencer adjustments not in the PX350-it retains the mixer in the PX560 but does not offer quantize. For those of you that wish to use the internal sequencer for recording tracks, but might still want to edit your midi tracks with a DAW, this is important. If the timing in your internal sequence is not lined up rhythmically, it will be harder for your computer sequencer to adjust quantization correctly if you need to quantize in software. Unless you play/record with pretty much machine accuracy initially you will need quantize in your internal sequencer.

Anybody want to buy a very nice PX-350? ;):o

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Much later-sfter owning the PX560-have to correct my post-there is not cut and paste or copy functions using the midi recorder-an unfortunate omission imo. There is a copy function, but it is only for entire tracks at once from one track to another track and does not allow for specific measures to be copied and pasted to other points in your composition. There is also no overdub or "undo" function-a very helpful feature in my Generalmusic boards. I have posted a request on this forum for a firmware upgrade to the PX560 to add these features. Since the MZ-X500 has all this, I would seriously like to see this upgrade happen. Dont abandon the PX560 Casio. This is a very competitve instrument-a few more features will make it even better. And a dd a few more steps to the envelope editing-ala CZ 8-step envelopes.

So this is my firmware update. I will load this onto my tape drive, plug it into the PX560 audio input and see what happens........Well, its a very nice pictorial for my 62 cents. Thanks Alenk. Should I send this to Casio's tech team? :waaah:    :taz:   :wall:     :hitt:   :spacecraft-1:Oops they just uploaded me, no firmware update for me......