Video Files on Forum ×

PX-5S also fit for IDM

XW-Addict

One of the go to get sonic characteristic of the PX-5S lends itself greatly for IDM,

IDM stands for Intelligent Dance Music not to confuse with EDM or Dance Music,

Its said when a synth can make complex lushes, weird soundscapes it is fit for IDM.

Truer then that it can't be the PX-5S synth part capable of very weird vibrant lush 

sound and arpeggio pattern fill. Sound discovery is a growing amazing thing.  

Yes yes and yes. The arpeggiators let you do  separate drum, bass,  and synth arps - you can really get some cool stuff built up: IDM, EDM, 80s synth pop.  The PX-5S also makes a great master controller for modules like the Korg Volcas in the same way.

The arpeggiators on the PX-5S (and XW-P1/G1) are much more advanced than the usual up/down type found on most synths. They have about 100 preset patterns and you can make your own. The sky is the limit with these -- and when you have everything synced up - H E A V E N!

I agree guys. I have synced the arp of Px5s with an iPad drum machine and my micro-arranger. It is like heaven! Basically the arpeggiator of the px5s is so good that my arranger is only used for the bass and/or drum part with my iPad. The sounds of the px5s is filling the empty spaces and creating nice soundscapes. The other keyboard (arranger) is used only to play some solo lead on top !!! Thinking also that I should get also a xw-p1 !!!

Yes yes and yes. The arpeggiators let you do  separate drum, bass,  and synth arps - you can really get some cool stuff built up: IDM, EDM, 80s synth pop.  The PX-5S also makes a great master controller for modules like the Korg Volcas in the same way.

The arpeggiators on the PX-5S (and XW-P1/G1) are much more advanced than the usual up/down type found on most synths. They have about 100 preset patterns and you can make your own. The sky is the limit with these -- and when you have everything synced up - H E A V E N!

Scott, are there tutorial videos (in depth) for the Arpeggiator engine somehwere?

Scott, are there tutorial videos (in depth) for the Arpeggiator engine somehwere?

I think there are also some additional ones in the other videos. My advice to all PX-5S owners is to take the time to watch all the videos in the series. By the end of the series you will know 99% of everything on the PX-5S

Videos:

http://PX-5S.com/howto

With deeper programming this is possible...

https://soundcloud.com/bradmz/updated-new-order-bizzare-love

That uses the arpeggiators running custom phrases and custom arpeggios.  The tones are also customized.  Drum instruments are also edited. The entire clip was performed live in one shot using the sliders and zone buttons to add and remove layers.    

The drum pattern is a phrase in this case.  I assigned it to play from the arpeggiator.  If I wanted to have variations in the beat for the above song, I would make variation phrases and use the chain "song" sequencer to play them in the order I need.  The song sequencer can then be programmed to use zone 1 for the phrases  since I edited the drum kit.  If a drum kit is not edited, the song sequencer can play phrases on mixer part 10.  Totally leaving the 4 zones for other stuff.   

• Like 1

The drum pattern is a phrase in this case.  I assigned it to play from the arpeggiator.  If I wanted to have variations in the beat for the above song, I would make variation phrases and use the chain "song" sequencer to play them in the order I need.  The song sequencer can then be programmed to use zone 1 for the phrases  since I edited the drum kit.  If a drum kit is not edited, the song sequencer can play phrases on mixer part 10.  Totally leaving the 4 zones for other stuff.   

And if the song sequencer is utilised can different songs be loaded quickly and/or from a list of them on a thumb-drive?

While drum variation and fills are possible as Brad outlined, anyone who wants to do a lot of this sort of thing ("one-man band", complete songs, etc) should really take a hard look at the PX-560 (or 360 or CGP-700).  They contain new drum kits with many rhythms, auto-accompaniment  and many other backing band type features. 

• Like 2

While drum variation and fills are possible as Brad outlined, anyone who wants to do a lot of this sort of thing ("one-man band", complete songs, etc) should really take a hard look at the PX-560 (or 360 or CGP-700).  They contain new drum kits with many rhythms, auto-accompaniment  and many other backing band type features. 

Does it mean the same expanded drum kits like the XW-G1 has that would peg my interest if so. Not so alone like Rock-kit Pop-Kit but more like the Basdrum-kit and Snare-kit and such.