Bass Pack Preview

Dave Weiser

Dave,

Your Bass Pack will be a nice addition to the '3rd party' tone/setting files being created for the PX-5s. As with your other Packs (Piano, etc.) - look forward to the release.

It's nice that Mike (and company) have rolled out a product that allows 3rd party development of tones/settings, since that encourages growth of the product line (a competition killer!).

...a little bit of a challenge... I saw in some other forum that as part of this release there would be one? Acoustic Bass tone/sound.

- may be hard to beat, but here's a challenge:

..if MIke is reading this.....on a next release of a Casio keyboard editor, might be good to have it edit tones/settings for the PX-5s and the PX-560m. Would allow sound developers or players to port over their PX-5s sounds to the 560m (accounting for the differences in keyboard configuration, also allow 3rd party developers to create sounds for either board.

• Like 1

Dave,

Your Bass Pack will be a nice addition to the '3rd party' tone/setting files being created for the PX-5s. As with your other Packs (Piano, etc.) - look forward to the release.

It's nice that Mike (and company) have rolled out a product that allows 3rd party development of tones/settings, since that encourages growth of the product line (a competition killer!).

...a little bit of a challenge... I saw in some other forum that as part of this release there would be one? Acoustic Bass tone/sound.

- may be hard to beat, but here's a challenge:

..if MIke is reading this.....on a next release of a Casio keyboard editor, might be good to have it edit tones/settings for the PX-5s and the PX-560m. Would allow sound developers or players to port over their PX-5s sounds to the 560m (accounting for the differences in keyboard configuration, also allow 3rd party developers to create sounds for either board.

I have two uprights at the moment.

I'm quite pleased with the results I'm getting from the PX-5S on this project.

Regarding challenges/requests: If you'd like post a youtube clip of a real bass sound on an album or live performance I'll consider taking a shot.

But I'm probably going to pass on the Trillian challenge. Just as I would pass on an Ivory challenge. Unless you know of a way to get 21,000 samples with thousands of articulations and 34GB into the Casio. :P (You saw the part in the video where Eric mentions the 21,000 samples, yes?)

Seriously I have spent time with the Trillian collection, studied it when I worked for Kurzweil and have gleaned a few tricks and insights from it. Great stuff.

Here's the latest video preview - Jaco fretless with harmonics above middle C.

Dave, appreciate your bearing with my earlier tongue-in-cheek Trilian 'challenge'

For Acoustic bass, a sample per your suggestion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw_O_pH_mhI

It would be nice to capture the tone inflection and resonance one hears at around the 1 to 2 minute range ....and an adjustment for longer sustains as heard around 42-45 minutes (slider assignment?; possibly noting in 'pack' how to tweak some of these functions in the editor)
...the 'stock' acoustics on the PX5s, typically have a short sustain/early cutoff

I would think one could attach some of these functions in the editor to knobs/sliders, but would likely end up stealing those controls from ( in a split mode) what the player may have selected for the right hand tone (Rhodes/Wurly variation, organ, etc.)

I think we would defer to your knowledge of the the PX5s, (and exposure to Trilian products), to come up with a (two?) new acoustic bass variations.

Your Jaco fretless sound is great...

Look forward to this latest 'pack'

Dave, appreciate your bearing with my earlier tongue-in-cheek Trilian 'challenge'

For Acoustic bass, a sample per your suggestion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw_O_pH_mhI

It would be nice to capture the tone inflection and resonance one hears at around the 1 to 2 minute range ....and an adjustment for longer sustains as heard around 42-45 minutes (slider assignment?; possibly noting in 'pack' how to tweak some of these functions in the editor)

...the 'stock' acoustics on the PX5s, typically have a short sustain/early cutoff

I would think one could attach some of these functions in the editor to knobs/sliders, but would likely end up stealing those controls from ( in a split mode) what the player may have selected for the right hand tone (Rhodes/Wurly variation, organ, etc.)

I think we would defer to your knowledge of the the PX5s, (and exposure to Trilian products), to come up with a (two?) new acoustic bass variations.

Your Jaco fretless sound is great...

Look forward to this latest 'pack'

Love the Dave Holland clip!

Both of my uprights emulate certain characteristics of that sound - I think you'll be pleased.

Still unsure if I'm going to release them on my own for sale (like my Gig Piano and Pro Strings) or if Casio will release them for free (like my Vintage Keys set).

Waiting to hear back from Casio now. I know budgets for that sort of thing are tight (as a guy who worked for a keys manufacturer myself). Also, Casio has always been quite good to me. So I'd like to show them as much courtesy as possible while we figure it out. Will keep you posted.

Still unsure if I'm going to release them on my own for sale (like my Gig Piano and Pro Strings) or if Casio will release them for free (like my Vintage Keys set).

Waiting to hear back from Casio now. I know budgets for that sort of thing are tight (as a guy who worked for a keys manufacturer myself). Also, Casio has always been quite good to me. So I'd like to show them as much courtesy as possible while we figure it out. Will keep you posted.

Cool, yeah totally understand!

Dave - A very nice suite of sounds that notably improves the Bass side for split performance with the PX-5s.
You did a great job on the dynamics and realism of all the sounds (surprised of the inflection and response you were able to 'squeeze' out of the board).

I can see where CASIO might have an interest in your sound pack (whether to release for PX-5s community or possibly port some of them over into the PX-560)

- these will surely continue to shore up the PX-5s as a performance board. The current Bass tones shipped with the 5s are OK, but your new tones sound like they will make it 'STELLAR'.

Look forward to loadin-em-up ! - either purchased from you..or from a CASIO release.

Yes that is probs the best Dave - fwiw this bass pack is really REALLY good and so far with the splits I am setting up they sit beautifully in the mix. I am using them for those songs where I play the bass and keys, along with a drum backing track, with discrete guitar rhythm tracks. 

Very nice work Dave (and I strongly recommend other PX5 users to seriously check them out...particularly in a mix!!) When I get them finalised I'll post up some tune demos :)

Cheers

Dennis

Well, all I can say is so far, I am loving this bass pack...the difference between these and the stock factory set is really remarkable. Whether using for MIDI based basslines or playing your own (IMO it is the latter where they really shine) this is an inexpensive way to totally boost the quality of your songs going to the audience! And we all know how important great bass and drums are to the finished work.

They also, importantly, give you a great base (ha no pun!) to develop further to "personalize" as it were with your own little tweaks.For example, in my case, as I don't use a sustain pedal for basslines, I adjust the release time for those slower tunes where the bass needs to sustain more like a real bass would...that's just one of several tweaks, but the important thing is the nice bass sound is there to begin with. Which is half the job done imo.

And no (hahaha) I do not work for Weiser Sound.com , just someone who is really happy with the product!

• Like 1