Video Files on Forum ×

Problems using wk-1630 keyboard with MIDI software

I have an old casio wk-1630 keyboard that I have had my entire life that I was wanting to do some music production with using FL Studio 10. I recently bought a MIDI to USB cable off of amazon and was told that it was plug and play. I sort of expected that I would have to jump through some hurdles because it's an older model keyboard, but I have seen people online use that keyboard to record things into their programs. At first I thought that it would be a driver issue, but I was told by casio themselves that the keyboard didn't have a driver I had to install on my computer. Has anyone ever used this keyboard to record and had the same issues as I have? If someone could shed some light on what I'm doing that would be great. 

I have attached some pictures of my keyboard so you guys can get a better understanding of what I'm working with. 

Thanks. 

post-6308-0-42019200-1447539056_thumb.jp

post-6308-0-44059700-1447539061_thumb.jp

post-6308-0-10828700-1447539065_thumb.jp

post-6308-0-90239400-1447539068_thumb.jp

Hi and welcome to the Casio Forums. 

This thread on FP may help you: same keyboard, same program: http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/production-techniques/getting-started/midi-conection-problems-199220/

Basically you need to make sure your computer recognizes the Casio when you hook it up, then you need to find it under the MIDI options in FL studio. 

As a side note, those MIDI to USB cables can be hit or miss. You will be much better off getting an proper audio/MIDI interface. You will need one if you want to record audio on your computer from the keyboard. 

• Like 1

I have an old casio wk-1630 keyboard that I have had my entire life 

I feel old now.   :(

And yes, most of those midi to usb cables on amazon are questionable. The one you show in your pic is the one I would avoid.  I tried one and it did not work.  Returned it and bought an E-Mu Xtab 1x1.  It is the only one I can recommend.  

And yes, most of those midi to usb cables on amazon are questionable. The one you show in your pic is the one I would avoid.  I tried one and it did not work.  Returned it and bought an E-Mu Xtab 1x1.  It is the only one I can recommend.  

It's a great keyboard and has served me well for many years! But yeah, I guess I should have expected the outcome considering how much the cable was ($6 bucks on sale). Oh well, at least I didn't spent an outrageous amount of money.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have the very similar WK1800 and the CTK811ex and use exactly such a cheap cable.

I managed to connect both to Garage Band on Mac and to Logic on PC.

It is already a good sign to see the red light on at the adapter.

A mistake I did in the beginning was to plug the MIDI adapter cable in the wrong way. The plug labeled with MIDI IN has to go to the MIDI OUT socket of the keyboard and the other one similar.

It took me some time of tracking until I found that simple thing. Now it works.

• 6 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2015 at 9:12 AM, BradMZ said:

Once you buy one of these cables what software do you need to do Bulk Dumps from the WK-1630 to a computer?

• 2 years later...

I'm also having problems with midi-usb on my wk-1630, specifically with lag time while in the Playground Sessions app--the precise problem being that Playgrounds Sessions lessons are recording duplicate notes, so it's impossible to score higher than 50%, and subsequently I cant move forward in my lessons. Playground Sessions tell me its a hardware problem on my end, but my husband thinks on theirs, mostly because Garage Band works like a charm with this keyboard. 

I am using a Midi-Man Midi-usb cable and pondering buying a new one. My cables say, "to midi out" and "to midi in" and I must plug them in as the cable suggests (plugging "to midi in" into the "in". etc. or they don't work at all. 

I don't want to buy a new keyboard just to use Playground Sessions. Any Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!