PX-560

Ecua

From my reading of the manual it's a little more complicated than that.

There's two aspects to zones... splitting the keyboard into regions (which may overlap), and being able to set them to different MIDI channels.

The PX5S supports up to 3 split points, the PX560 only supports one split point (putting aside for the moment that you can create sub-splits with hexlayers).T

That said, even the PX560 permits you to have two sounds on either side of the split point (denoted as Upper Tone 1, Upper Tone 2, Lower Tone 1, and Lower Tone 2)... and here's where it gets interesting... Looking at the manual page A-5, it appears that, whenever you play Upper Tone 1, you are transmitting on whatever primary MIDI channel you have designated (default =1), but when you play Upper Tone 2, that is always also transmitted on MIDI channel 2; when you play Lower Tone 1, that will also transmit on MIDI channel 3; and playing Lower Tone 2 transmits on MIDI channel 4. So, you actually do appear to have some ability to selectively transmit on one, two, three, or up to four MIDI channels at a time (each in one of two specificed keyboard regions).

Of course, this not nearly as flexible as the PX5S, which also lets you transmit on up to four channels at one time, but with

* independently assigned key ranges for each of the four channels
* the ability to pick any four channels you want

* the ability to even pick different sets of channels for different user presets (stage settings)

* the ability to configure each zone to play an internal sound, and external sound, or both (you could proabably fake a little of that functionality by creating some silent patches on the PX560)

* the ability to create patches that also independently send specified Program Changes to the external devices

...and a lot more, in terms of controller assignment and other parameters

Basically, while I agree that the answer to the OP's question "Is PX-560 a 4-zone MIDI-controller like PX-5S?" is definitely no... but it looks like it can do some semblance of 4-zone control. (BTW, the PX5S' predecessor, the PX3, was called a 4-zone controller even though it supported only one split point! Same rationale... it supported two zones--two MIDI transmission channels--on each side of the split point. But it was still much more flexible in its MIDI functionality than the PX560, though not nearly as much as the PX5S.)

Rather than start a new topic, I thought I would just put this one here........I loaded three midi files into my 560 just to see how they would work...and they work fine though a couple are really loud.  My problem is these were test midis, not ones I really wanted to keep loaded.  After spending an hour poring through the manual, I cannot seem to find how to delete them.  It appears I only have room for 8 files...that is, unless the menu grows as I add additional tunes.  So, I guess I have two questions:

1.  How do I delete midis once they are loaded?

2.  Are there really only 8 locations for loaded midis?

Thank you for your help.

I've played a Casio 350 for several years.  It's served exceptionally well.  But I need something with a better horns and Rhodes/Wurli sound. I'm thinking about an upgrade to the 560, but I'm a llitle afraid that it may be too complicated.  Thoughts?

I've played a Casio 350 for several years.  It's served exceptionally well.  But I need something with a better horns and Rhodes/Wurli sound. I'm thinking about an upgrade to the 560, but I'm a llitle afraid that it may be too complicated.  Thoughts?

I haven't actually played the 560, but I've spent a lot of time with the CGP-700, which is similar. That color touchscreen makes it so easy it's silly. I've never had an easier time with a keyboard, especially doing things like splits and layers as well as transpose. If you are located near a Guitar Center, go try the CGP-700.

Is there a way to edit a piano tone to lock in a EQ Mid or High Gain?  I need to adjust the mid gain by -6 to on piano dolce to reduce some of the brightness.  I cannot seem to figure out how to do this.  Is it possible to adjust it somewhere to make this a permanent adjustment?  Thanks for your help.

Thank you, Brad.  I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure this out and almost got there.  I missed the DSP step since I stopped when all I saw was Reverb Send, Chorus Send, Delay Send.  I have followed your steps and see that the manual saw to go to page EN-34 to edit the DSP parameters.  I missed that step when searching on my own.  My problem is I am unfamiliar with much of the terminology involved.  For example, Portamento, Compressor, Limiter, Enhancer, Early Reflection, Phaser, etc.  I do have much to learn and will be searching for a book on to help my learning.

I do hope Mike will run a series of videos for the 560 like he did for the PX-5S.  That would be really helpful for those of us who are coming from less sophisticated keyboards.  My main keyboard, with the exception of a few months being mystified by the PX-5S, was a PX-330.  All I had to do there was push a button for Grand Piano or E. Piano and I was good to go.  However, I am determined to learn how to take advantage of the features of the 560. 

Thanks again for being there.

Portamento:  Where one notes "slides" into another note pitch wise. It's polyphonic on the 560.  

Compressor:  Automatic gain control.  Raises quite sounds and lowers loud ones.  In essence, reduces the dynamic range of sound. 

Limiter:  Similar to compressor but only limits the louder sounds without raising softer ones.

Enhancer:  Type of EQ with additional processing for enhancing sound in a way normal EQ cannot. 

Early reflection:   Simulates acoustic reflections in a space like reverb but much shorter in time. Think mic'ed instruments and amps recorded in a room not acoustically treated like a studio would be.  Many older recordings have room reflections in them with artificial studio reverb on top. Great for simulating that.  

Phaser: Two identical audio signals combined where one is reverse polarity "phase" of the other.  This causes the sound to cancel out. Varying the playback speed "frequency" of one signal causes phase cancellation to vary giving in interesting "wow" sound.