Video Files on Forum ×

Damper pedal problems

drwaido

My damper pedal intermittently stops working.  It will work for a while then stop.  It happens when I change patches.  I have tried the following with no success in restarting the functionality of the pedal:

Reboot keyboard

Buy a different pedal

reset the system

Does anyone have any thoughts or fixes?

Thanks,

Waido

Hi Waldo and welcome to the Casio Forums. Does there seem to be any pattern (like it always stops working when you switch to a certain sound). Also are both pedals you tried the same brand? And does the 2nd pedal input give you any issues? Just trying to narrow down what's going on and eliminate the chance that it's a hardware issue in the PX-5S itself.   Any more information you can share will help!  :)

Thanks for the response and welcome.  Up tip now I have loved this keyboard.  Great on the ears and the back!

I have 2 different brand pedals.  Been using an M Gear went out and bought an Onstage.  

I don't notice it happening with a particular sound.  

I have noticed that when I use the onstage pedal with an organ patch, it activates the Leslie effect.  The M Gear pedal does not do this.

Very weird.

Well if one pedal is activating the leslie and one isn't, the one that isn't has an issue - that pedal is defective as both pedals should act the same. So that's one thing.

So let's talk about the pedal that works - When you say it happens when you switch patches: Not all patches are set up to sustain with the pedal so are you sure of what's happening. The one test is if it doesn't seem to be working is to go back to stage setting 0-0  (PRESS BANK, THEN 0, THEN 0 again) and see if the pedal works there.

I have tested the pedal using various piano/electric piano patches.  The sustain will work at first, then after a number of patch changes it will stop working.  If I change the patch several more times, it begins to sustain again.  This is driving me crazy and causing problems while playing live.  Has anyone else experienced this issue and/or have a possible solution.

Thanks,

Mike

PX5 has tones and stage settings.  When you say "patch changes", you mean stage setting changes?  or tones?   I'm going to guess stage settings.  Here is what I suggest doing to troubleshoot.  Don't change stage settings.  Stay at 0-0 Concert grand and swap out tones to different ones.  Like EP's, bass, etc.  If the pedal is still acting up, it's a hardware issue. 

• 2 weeks later...

BradMZ,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my posts.  To make sure that I am being clear:

When I go to stage settings the pedal does work to adjust rotary speaker speed on the organ sounds.

It acts as a damper pedal on piano and electric piano sounds at first.  After I switch between piano or electric piano sounds 3-4 times, the damper effect stops.  It does not start again until I exit stage settings back to the tone banks and sometimes I need to with tones a few times before the damper function returns.

Referring to my last response about Pedal 1 saying "off", should it be "off" or "on" under the stage settings?

Thanks for your help!