Video Files on Forum ×

Any one use Ipad with Casio px5s for live session?

hrestov

Hi all, 

I have just ordered an iPad to use with Casio px5 to solve 2 big (for me) problems with casio: the monophonic mode with synth and the weak organ sound engine.

for organ I think I'll use App Galileo, or maybe the hammond in Garageband, I'll have to try.

For synth I want to know what app do you use for reliable, solid use in LIVE gigs (not amateur use at home). It's fundamental that the synth have mono/legato option, poly mode, and that I can change preset throught midi program change from casio and that it can work on only one midi channel.

I already bought animoog with black friday sales, thinking that changing preset throught program change was a common feature in all app synth, but I was wrong..it doesn't do it (for me, unbelieveble)

I want to know some app synth with this features and that doesn't  get no issues with nothing.

I'm looking to sunrizer and magellan (I prefer the second for sound), but I want to know if someone of you use them in live use and if there is any problems. or any other app suggestions?

I want to link the mini jack out of iPAd to mini jack in of casio, is there any problem?

I read that the output of iPad is a bit low, can I balance its audio with casio audio with line in Gain, or there is too much difference and have to further boost the ipad signal?

Thank you for the replies

I can't help you with the apps, but I can answer your hardware questions.

The iPad in plenty loud enough going into the PX-5S mini jack. You can even assign a knob or slider to control the volume of that input.

A couple things to be aware of: You could get a USB hum using this set-up.   If this is an issue, possible ways around this include using a mixer instead of running the iPad into the PX-5S. You may also want to look at a docking station that let's you use 5 pin MIDI DIN, eliminating the USB. The docks also have the advantage of powering / charging the iPad.  This is something that is very important - if you show up at a gig with a low battery you are in trouble!  

• 4 weeks later...

I have my keyboard back today and I try:

-  casio px5 connected to ipad through usb and minijack out of ipad in mini jack in of casio. noise everywhere, noise when I play, noise when I move a slider, noise when I do nothing. almost inusable 

- casio px 5 connected to ipad through midi 5pin out with "m audio uno" interface. no noise, connection perfect.

There's always the "noise gate" issue, but it isn'n very big; with synth and organ sound it's not a problem. only with pianolike sound it could be a problem, but only if you play a slow ballad with long-decay chords I tihnk.

I'll use Galileo, Sunrizer and Korg iM1 apps. all of this in different midi channels and from casio when I recall a stage setting, i can load for each app his preset throught program change in his own channel.

these 3 apps are very very very good.

I have my keyboard back today and I try:

-  casio px5 connected to ipad through usb and minijack out of ipad in mini jack in of casio. noise everywhere, noise when I play, noise when I move a slider, noise when I do nothing. almost inusable 

That's a USB loop hum. As you found out, this does not happen with the 5pin connector.