A newbie with some questions

Grachus

Hello all, I just received my new xwp1 ,thank you Amazon, yesterday and I am having a lot of fun today as I have the day off work and here I go.

I bought this without trying it in the store as it is nowhere near me, and I trusted the videos and views. So far so good.

It's replacing my old roland jv35. I thought about getting a px5s but then thought I old enjoy the challenge and extras of th xwp1. It's a different beast.

So here goes with a few questions.

How do I change the drum patterns of the sequencer?

2. How do I record parts without the phrase sequencer, that is just record layers of my own playing?

3.can I quickly go back and forth between the original tone and my changes to the tone? This would allow me to compare the changes I made vs the original tone.

Anyway thanks for your reviews as soon as I get something decent recorded I'll post my efforts .

I'll post my own review in a day or two.

Hi and welcome to the Casio Forums. The XW's are very deep machines so there is a bit of a learning curve. My suggestion is to use the online resources, esp. the training videos - find them on the Casio Music Gear YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/casiokeyboards  -Find the XW videos with your XW turned on and in front of you so you can follow along.  There is also a blog with a lot of tips and tricks at: https://xwsynth.wordpress.com/

Once you get through the videos, you will be up-to-speed on just about everything! Have fun! 

Hi there,

In fairness to Grachus, I have read all the FAQ's and much of the rest of the forum, other online resources, watched the videos and read the manuals. Off the top of my head, however, I do not recall the 'compare' function being mentioned.

This isnt to say it 'isnt' mentioned. It may well be referred to more than once and I dont recall. My point is merely that there is one HELL of a lot of reading out there (Im still reading up and have been for at least a couple of months).

I agree though Grachus, if you havent done any reading I am sure some, if not all, of these points can be clarified by doing so. Im sure if you whittle them down (i.e. show willing) and then pop back with any outstanding questions, the guys will be more than happy to provide more specific responses. I wish I could, but my christmas present is obviously as yet unused, so my recollections from reading only may not be so accurate. That said, I think your sequencer questions at least should be in the manual (though I am assuming Q2 is a step sequencer question?)

Thank you all, I didn't mean to be taxing with these questions. I didn't even look at the faq before I posted I didn't know where it was. Thank you for pointing it out very helpful.

Holy smokes there are a lot of videos that is great. I teach guitar lessons to kids and am always pointing them toward YouTube for help. I should have known.

I spent a great deal of time with the xw last night and am enjoying it greatly. I found how to change the drum patterns.

I'm loving the iPad spot for my mouse when I recording to my daw. It's a very nice addition to my studio set up.

• Like 1

Hi:

The XW synthesizers are complex. But they are beasts to create sounds and music.

In this forum there is a lot of information and people who help us.

Patience, perseverance and fun.

i. Tip: you review the user manual and FAQ post. ;)

ii. The XW-P1 uses the phrase sequencer to record only. You can also record chords in part 16 of the step sequencer.

iii. You'd have to record every tone in different bank user.

Yes perseverance. Well yesterday I sat and worked out the phrase sequencer and had a blast. I keep looking at this machine going huh you can do that really! It's great.

I am loving the sounds and I must say as a self taught pianist this is a great tool for working on my piano playing skills.

It is sweet to set up a phrase tune or just go through a phrase sequence and work on my right hand leads.

I have been sifting through all the very helpful videos and I am feeling great about this buy.

Thanks all

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The videos mike made on the step sequencer are brilliant. He makes so much of this machine make sense. Wonderful.

How did anyone ever do anything before you tube is beyond me.

Every night I play this , I have a day job, I am always going ,that is friggin cool sounds.

Thanks mike

• Like 1