Video Files on Forum ×

PX-560 Presets?

surfkat

I have had my new PX-560 for 2 days and I am trying to figure out how to use it for my solo piano gig. I need to be able to store settings for a given song and recall them as needed. I will not be using auto accompaniment. The bank registration will store and recall the settings but there is no way to name them and scroll through a list to find one. I thought using the music presets would work perfectly but I have found a problem there. The music presets do not store the split point! What? That's right. While all other settings are stored in the preset, tones, balance, rhythm, arp, tempo, the split point is not stored and recalled. This seems like a huge oversight. Am I missing something here?

Also when you recall a music preset the auto accompany function is always on. Is there no way to have that default to off?

Another disappointment for me is the lack of editing for the arpeggiator. They should at least let you change the note value of the steps. Not every arpeggio needs to be 16th notes all the time. I love the way the PX5s allows editing of the arpeggio. Why not have that here also?

Hi and welcome to the Casio forums. Yes you're missing something: Split point recall can be set in the Registration Screen. Rhythm recall on/off is included as well on that screen, but I don't know exactly what that does as I don't have a PX-560, but you should try it and see what it does.  As for the naming of the reg's and the programmable arps,   it sounds like the PX-5S is probably a better fit for your needs, esp. if you don't need the auto. acomp. features. 

Hi Scott and thanks for the response. I am not sure what the Registration screen is all about but it seems to be related to the Banks as there is a page for each of the 24 Banks. The default settings are all set to 'off' and the manual says "Turning on this setting disables recall of the split point setting." As I said in my post, I can save and recall a setting to a Bank and it will recall ALL of the parameters including split point. If you load any of the factory presets they will not change the current setting for the split point either. It seems short sighted to me that a preset does not save the split point. From a user point of view it seems confusing to have both the bank registration and the music presets as a place to save a "setup". Why have 2 places, neither of which saves everything? Why not keep it simple and have one place to store setups and have the choice to use or not use rhythms, accompaniment, sequencer playback, arpeggio, etc. 

I have a PX-5s that I have been using since July with my band. It's great but it lacks the on board rhythms I need for solo/duo gigs. The small screen is also hard to use on stage.

I understand the difference. The thing is we have this beautiful touch screen but we can't use it to name performance setups or to scroll thru a list of those names for recall as we can do with the music presets. If you use it on stage you have to just remember that you stored bossa #1 in Bank 4-02 and piano with strings is in in Bank 3-02. That's fine if you have only a couple of setups. But what if you want to store 40 song setups and recall as desired. What if you want to use auto accompany on one song but not the next. I am pointing out what I see as a short coming in hopes that it might be fixed in the next Casio generation. Look at Roland's interface in the FA-08. One setup recalls all possible options. That is what is lacking here. And yes I had a Roland but the sounds and the keybed are very much inferior to the Casio.

• Like 2

I suggest creating a paper guide sheet where you can write down what is stored in each slot.  This is your best bet for the time being.  

Your request for registration naming is noted.  I happen to agree with that request and will do what I can to pass this along.  It should be said that Casio reps read this board and take notes.  They do listen.  

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 05/12/2015 at 3:05 PM, BradMZ said:

To clarify what music presets are:  They are programmed chord progressions for use with auto accompaniment.  The settings stored there are related to that purpose.  

Registrations are the performance setups.  That is what should be used to store the entire keyboard setup.  

Hi, casio novice late comer to this topic here,  but  am still wondering what the Music Presets are for? 

Are these 'chord memories' by another name?'   Or are these 'chord progressions' taken from known songs for the player to play along via the right hand / melody tones?  

Would welcome typical samples of where players make use of these Music Presets, please.

thanks

I've listened to all of the presets, and several are recognizable songs.  The song names though, are not the real names, possibly due to liability issues with copyright and whatnot.  I use the presets for noodling around and trying out different riffs, fills, and solo lead runs to improve my piano chops.  "House of the Rising Sun" is highlighted in my attached file. 

image.png

I've listened to all of the presets, and several are recognizable songs.  The song names though, are not the real names, possibly due to liability issues with copyright and whatnot.  I use the presets for noodling around and trying out different riffs, fills, and solo lead runs to improve my piano chops.  "House of the Rising Sun" is highlighted in my attached file. 

image.png

• 6 months later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but PX560 can't load any PX5s Stage Settings or Tones, can it? Shame. The sounds are great in the PX5s... should be compatible. I was thinking of picking up a 560 for my bandmate, in addition to my PX5s, for her to practice on, as we both play in our group... currently all she has to practice on is an upright. This would be great for gigs...

But yeah... I guess no go?

On 10/31/2016 at 8:06 PM, fogie said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but PX560 can't load any PX5s Stage Settings or Tones, can it? Shame. The sounds are great in the PX5s... should be compatible. I was thinking of picking up a 560 for my bandmate, in addition to my PX5s, for her to practice on, as we both play in our group... currently all she has to practice on is an upright. This would be great for gigs...

But yeah... I guess no go?

True the PX-560 can't load PX-5S stage settings, but the 560 uses many of the same samples so the sounds can easily be re-created (except for those that use multiple arpeggiators.)  I also want to say a user created a conversion program of sorts in the PX-5S Group.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This post touches on several things I've just been working on with my WK7600.  Was noticing that as well for the 7600, that the Registrations are as close as you get to a performance setup, but there's no way of naming registrations.  Would be nice!

Have just been going through the Music Presets, the chord progressions you can play along with.  When I first realized this was part of the board I was super stoked.  I love to improv off of chord progressions, so this was a big win.

Or not.  Out of the 305 onboard the 7600, about 95% of them are useless. There's some nicely programmed boss's style songs, but beyond that it's mostly really bad, like hearing the auto accompaniment of an organ in the '90s.  I would be ashamed to credit these chord progressions and accompaniment to any work I'd done and it made me wonder what the process was to come up with these poorly made progressions at the factory.

Sorry for the OT rant, I'm just in disbelief that they could be so bad.  At least you can roll your own, which is pretty cool.  This came up for me as I looked at the partial list for Music Presets the 560 has.  Same names!  Hopefully they improved the programming and of course the sounds are better.  Makes me wonder what else was imported from lesser boards even when a fresh slate was called for.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 12/6/2015 at 10:05 AM, Brad Saucier said:

To clarify what music presets are:  They are programmed chord progressions for use with auto accompaniment.  The settings stored there are related to that purpose.  

Registrations are the performance setups.  That is what should be used to store the entire keyboard setup.  

But. WHAT are the songs in the music presets? Does anyone have the list?  Are there charts to go with these presets?  Without charts and at least a song list the music presets are a waste, and a terribly frustrating waste.  Has anyone figured them out yet?  All I know is that “Rising Sun” is “House of the rising sun” what are the other 200?

I believe the reason songs are not labeled-copyright issues-if Casio does not have the full right to use these songs-and notice, each one is only part of the song. If you don't think it matters-a quick story. Playing in a cover band not too long ago in a distant galaxy-i noticed there was an "ASCAP" sticker on the window of the club we were booked into, and i thought, this looks like trouble...sure enough partially into our 2nd set-we played everything from 50s do-wop to Motown to Beatles and beyond (no disco!) here comes a suit who walks up to the owner, we were doing well, he thought we were really good-the owner not the suit-and as we finished, the owner said we had to stop and sent us packing. Why? The suit was from ASCAP-and he said we had no licensing agreement with ASCAP to perform these songs! i was stunned as i had played union/non-union gigs all over NJ-clubs, country clubs, banquet halls, outdoor venues-never had this happen. The owner was great-he paid us anyway but said this "gentleman" had threatened to close the club if we refused to stop. so we packed up and left, not too happy. But then another NJ club we played that year-burned to the ground a month after we played there-we had nothing to do with it...but the club was in the Meadowlands area of NJ. I guess they didn't like our outfits or something. I could blame the keyboard guy, but it was me...and i usually don't carry matches to a gig......heck i don't even smoke!   :taz: