Video Files on Forum ×

Controllers K1, K2, etc.

Hello, people:

I live in Spain and found this forum dedicated to the XW-P1 and XW-G1. I do not know English and use a translator. :ph34r:

I have two months with the XW-P1 and novel in the world of synthesizers. And these are the questions:

Within the PERFORM mode / controllers / K1, K2, etc..

1. Why are CC... without assignment?

2. What is NRPN and RPN?

3. Why are some CC... not interfere with the sounds and / or key?

Thanks for the help offered (whatever that is). :D

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I totally understand your question, but I'll try.

1. These knobs can be assigned to a number of different Continuous Controller messages. These can either control internal tones or external MIDI devices.

2. NRPN & RPN are for sending a message to a specific product. If XW is your only keyboard then this is not something you would use.

3. XW can only use some CC messages, like filter Cutoff or Envelope control. Other CC messages are for other equipment.

2. NRPN & RPN are for sending a message to a specific product. If XW is your only keyboard then this is not something you would use.

3. XW can only use some CC messages, like filter Cutoff or Envelope control. Other CC messages are for other equipment.

Thanks, Mike Martin. You have understood very well my questions. But now I have more questions:

1. What kind of equipment do you mean, other synthesizers or racks?

2. The XW, How detects external devices, automatically or other special equipment is needed?

Thanks and have a nice day.

Thanks, Mike Martin. You have understood very well my questions. But now I have more questions:

2. The XW, How detects external devices, automatically or other special equipment is needed?

1. Yes, it will control other synths and racks that can accept the CC messages via MIDI.

2. It will not detect and configure itself for other devices automatically.

I might be misunderstanding, but you can use knobs assigned to NRPNs to control the XW-P1. I just made a little demo that has a simple sequence going, while adjusting NRPNs to change the waveform of the Solo Synth. Technically, it is controller tracks assigned to the knobs which are assigned to NRPNs. The parameter being controlled is "split ui number" -- whatever that means. :lol: I found it in the MIDI spec manual and tried it out. Seems to change the waveform.

Anyway, here's the short demo:

https://soundcloud.c...1-nrpn-demo-001

Using NRPNs is especially useful with the Solo Synth as most or all the parameters are accessible via NRPN.