The AD-5E PSU is valid for the CASIO CTK-500?

Jensen_PD

Hello to all. I recently bought a CASIO CT-470 and a CASIO CTK-500. The CASIO CTK-470 comes with his original PSU, but the CTK-500 came with a no brand PSU rated at 9V and 500 mA (and it seems that it requires 850mA, I don't know how this keyboard has been survived).

The manual of both states that the CASIO AD-5 is what both needs; If you search on the net for spares, it seems that not only the AD-5E exists, there are many PSU with the AD-5X suffix, and I don't know if the AD-5E is the same as the AD-5. So, the AD-5E PSU is the correct one for the CTK-500?.

Many thanks!.

Hello, thanks for the response.

The problem is that I only have at hand a AD-5E, not a AD-5, and I'm wondering if it's the same (this AD-5E have a UK plug, maybe that E make reference to that?)

Sorry.  I misread your original post.  I thought you could NOT find an AD-5 on the net.  Yes, I think E is in reference to Europe.  AD-5 is the only one available in the US.  

Don't worry. So, I see, Thenk I think that I got the info that I wanted, thanks for your time!.

Regards.

Don't worry. So, I see, Thenk I think that I got the info that I wanted, thanks for your time!.

Regards.

Hi Jenson. I am seeing 2 types of AD-5E adapters. One with 3 prongs and one with two.  Am I correct seeing you're in Spain? If so the one I see on Amazon Spain is showing the 2 prong version. Not sure what one your area uses, but just be aware there are two versions out there!  :)

Hi Jenson. I am seeing 2 types of AD-5E adapters. One with 3 prongs and one with two.  Am I correct seeing you're in Spain? If so the one I see on Amazon Spain is showing the 2 prong version. Not sure what one your area uses, but just be aware there are two versions out there!  :)

Hello.

Yes, I live in Spain, and the 2 prong version is what I need (but I can buy one of those UK to european plug converters). By other hand, about the purchase of a replacement on Amazon or Ebay... well, I have my doubts, because I have seen and read that some sellers (but not all) doesn't send the pictured product, instead, they send you one of those small switching power supplies. So, on this case, I think that is better to avoid stock photos on the ads to ensure that you receive the stated product.

I have seen those two, for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casio-AD-5-AD5-Keyboard-Power-Supply-Replacement-Adapter-UK-9V-AD-5E-AD5E-NEW-/281844049059?hash=item419f36e4a3:g:QiEAAOSwI-BWNKW3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-DC-home-power-adapter-plug-for-9v-casio-AD-5-AD-5MU-AD-5MR-AD-5EL-AD-5MLE-/191085705909?hash=item2c7d987ab5:g:x30AAOSwgQ9Vhj4o

The first is rated at 9V and outputs 850 mA, the 2nd outputs 9V and 1000mA; both have negative polarity in the center and positive on the barrel. If I recall correctly, those PSU can provide A MAXIMUM of 850ma and 1000mA respectively, but I'm not too sure if those applies for all power supplies, or some outputs the stated amps at once (and not what the device requires)... I'm correct? there's better alternatives for the CTK-500 and the AD-5? (and the CTK-470, but I have a AD-5E already).

It's always hit or miss with third party stuff. (I recently went thru quite an ordeal trying to get a replacement keyboard for my laptop). The best you can do is find the one that matches the original specs and pray they send you the one advertised. Also make sure they have a no-hassle return policy, which is why I prefer Amazon. They pay shipping pack if something is wrong - no questions asked. 

It's always hit or miss with third party stuff. (I recently went thru quite an ordeal trying to get a replacement keyboard for my laptop). The best you can do is find the one that matches the original specs and pray they send you the one advertised. Also make sure they have a no-hassle return policy, which is why I prefer Amazon. They pay shipping pack if something is wrong - no questions asked. 

I see, then I'll see what I can buy.

The last question: If those adapters provides 1000mA, it means that it ouputs 1000 mA at most or MAX (as required by the device), or it will provide 1000 mA at once, frying a keyboard that requires 500 mA, for example?

The last question: If those adapters provides 1000mA, it means that it ouputs 1000 mA at most or MAX (as required by the device), or it will provide 1000 mA at once, frying a keyboard that requires 500 mA, for example?

The extra amperage goes unused IN MOST CASES. If you use an AC adapter with too little amperage, you run the risk of damaging the adapter. Too much amperage is usually OK, because your device will only draw the amount of amperage it needs. The rest sits unusedThere is a caveat. If your device draws far too few amps, some cheaper, poorly regulated adapters start delivering more voltage.  Replacing an AC adapter with one that has double the amperage (like in your example) is usually fine. Replacing one with 20x the amperage is far riskier.

Like I said before, you should always try to match the specs up to the original best you can. If that isn't possible, go with the closest higher amperage adapter.  (Honestly, I don't think you will have a problem with a 1000Ma adapter - but these things are never certain. Generic items can sometimes be hit or miss.  :angry:

I'm not even sure why I am reading this thread.

But I did. And while I am no expert on your specific keyboard or power supply, I can advise that devices such as keyboards only draw the amount of current they require. Equally they usually (or should) specify the maximum current draw as a requirement (i.e. peak draw)

So in practical terms, as long as the power supply can supply "at minimum" the specific current required, you should be fine. If a power supply can provide more current this will be fine (and some would say preferable as the supply would not need to be 'maxing out").

Of course, this doesn't apply to voltage, which will need to match the specified requirements exactly.

Edit:

Seems I was beaten to this by Scott. However as Scott was given credit in another thread by answering a question 'after' I did, maybe this is where things get balanced out !!!  ;)

PS. Whilst I dont really disagree that low current draw may effect voltage with a high amperage supply, this really shouldn't happen to a significant detrimental degree in a decent PSU. Of course there are variables, but by this token a PSU with your exact specifications 'printed on it' may be equally risky for numerous different reasons.

Having said that, there are other consideration when using a higher amperage PSU as well, such as reduced efficiency (assuming equally well designed supplies), and the amount of current available to the device in the event of a short etc. So I guess we do essentially agree that closer to the specified amperage is better as long as it is equal at a minimum.

So I've been looking on the Amazon Spain site just to see what  they have. They do have a few models that say they are "AD-5E" replacements, but none of them list the darn amperage!  :angry:  Even doing a close-up of the adapter itself, I can't find a label.  :angry:  :angry: 

Anywho, ebay may be the way to go here as they at least have a nice description of what the exact specs are. Those sellers on Amazon should really list the specs out, I mean they are PROBABLY going to be OK and within the range but it's just nice to know exactly what your getting (That's if they end up sending you what they say they are.. but that's another story! LOLOLOLOL!)

So please let us know what you end up doing and how it works so we can make note of it for future reference. I'm sure you aren't the last person who will be needing one of these!  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

The extra amperage goes unused IN MOST CASES. If you use an AC adapter with too little amperage, you run the risk of damaging the adapter. Too much amperage is usually OK, because your device will only draw the amount of amperage it needs. The rest sits unusedThere is a caveat. If your device draws far too few amps, some cheaper, poorly regulated adapters start delivering more voltage. 

So in practical terms, as long as the power supply can supply "at minimum" the specific current required, you should be fine. If a power supply can provide more current this will be fine (and some would say preferable as the supply would not need to be 'maxing out").

I think that the info that you provided is really great and very specific, I thank you for that.

Now I can buy the correct power supply.

So I've been looking on the Amazon Spain site just to see what  they have. They do have a few models that say they are "AD-5E" replacements, but none of them list the darn amperage!  :angry:  Even doing a close-up of the adapter itself, I can't find a label.  :angry:  :angry: 

Anywho, ebay may be the way to go here as they at least have a nice description of what the exact specs are. Those sellers on Amazon should really list the specs out, I mean they are PROBABLY going to be OK and within the range but it's just nice to know exactly what your getting (That's if they end up sending you what they say they are.. but that's another story! LOLOLOLOL!)

So please let us know what you end up doing and how it works so we can make note of it for future reference. I'm sure you aren't the last person who will be needing one of these!  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Yes, you are right, knowing that I think that I will stick with the original specs of the CASIO AD-5, because the AD-5 is referenced in the manual of both keyboards and besides that, I found a picture of the original AD-5 (220V ver.):

http://articulo.mercadolibre.cl/MLC-432073388-transformador-teclado-casio-ad-5-original-_JM

I think that is a PSU of the early 80's, and if the design didn't change in decades, then, it will be the correct parameters to consider. By other hand, speaking of future reference, I have an idea:

This afternoon I will pick a PSU, I will post here what I bought, and then, I will record the output of both keyboards with an audio interface (to hear if it adds electrical noise). How it sounds?.

Hello again.

After much researching, in the end, I opted to buy the still sold Casio AD5G/AD5ML (The version pictured is the AD5ML)

http://www.thomann.de/es/casio_ad5g_netzteil.htm

I will explain why I choose this power supply and how it's valid for the CTK-500 / CT-470:

First of all, please open again this link, but now the german version http://www.thomann.de/de/casio_ad5g_netzteil.htm , this version of the page have the compatible model list a bit better arranged than the english / spanish one, and if you see what models are listed, you can see that the oldest model is the CASIO CA-110. Then, If you read the manual of the above, it states that it needs the CASIO AD-5, the same as mentioned in the manual of the CT470 and the CTK-500. So, what this mean? this confirms that the power pin (I don't know how it's said in english, but is the one that goes into the keyboard) have the same diameter as the AD5G / AD5ML.

Now, what about the polarity and voltage?:

Let's see again the photo of the original AD-5:

http://articulo.mercadolibre.cl/MLC-432073388-transformador-teclado-casio-ad-5-original-_JM

850 mA

9V

Center negative / Barrel positive

The same as the AD5G/AD5ML, so, whe have an actual matching PSU for the CASIO AD-5... Great!. Now , it's clear that we will not have any problems with a Casio power supply, and now, this problem is solved, but I think that it will be fun (and useful) to post some recordings of both keyboards... :) Now all that remains is to wait for the package... I will post again soon!.

Good job tracking that down! It looks like one of the newer Casio power supplies that I like. No "wall wart" per se, as the transformer is now "in the middle". I have a lot of smaller modules and accessories that use wall warts - so much so I had to get a special power strip with well spaced outlets so a 6-outlet strip isn't taken up by two fat adapters.  :)  

For anyone who's interested, it's this one
372.jpg

(MODEL Belkin BE112230-08)

There are several types out there, but you get the idea! :P

It looks like a good power strip, and I think that Belkin is a great brand, in fact, I have a old  Belkin Surge Master (that one in wich you can put a CRT screen on top) and even if it's old, it have a good construction. Also, I've bought recently some USB cables from Belkin and I can say the same regarding quality.

By other hand, speaking about the AD-5ML, I have received one today, check the attached pictures. What I received is the (G) version, and please keep in mind that it have a european plug and maybe, the box will be different in another areas. About the size of the power brick, it smaller than the PSU of the CTK-7200, wich I have, and I can tell that it's like half the size of the above.

Then, how it works in the CTK-500/CT-470?:

I have tested both for one hour or more, and it works great, at this time while I'm writing this I'm testing the CTK-500 and no problems whatsoever.

I will update this again with the audio examples.

post-6464-0-48452100-1450716930_thumb.jp

post-6464-0-40019500-1450717077_thumb.jp

Ok, done I recorded some examples of the CTK-500, check this: http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/9013-theres-a-complete-list-of-synth-engines-used-by-casio/

regarding the CT-470, I decided that it isn't necesary, because there are many examples and recordings of the MT-750, CT-670/680 and CT-700 on Youtube. I list these keyboards because they use the same engine and sounds, so, if you are interested, you can find some demos on the said.

Regards!.