Ustream XW Clinic

Hi Mike

Any word on when there will be a G1 clinic video posted here?

I enjoyed your P1 demo, but found it to be leaning towards showing the potential buyer what it can do, as opposed to showing the current owner how to use it.

I'm a drummer and I have a lot of experience using the old drum machines of the late '70s and '80s.

I purchased the G1 because the step sequencer and sampler are similar to some of my vintage beat boxes. I love the G1 but it is so much deeper than those machines.

The manual seems to jump around a lot from page to page. I'd be willing to pay $15 or $20 to purchase a higher quality, more in depth video tutorial for the G1. I like your presentation style, so it would be great if you could put together a video tutorial that started off with the basic functions and then progressed to the more complicated features of XWs.

This forum is a good start, and I've found it helpful, but I'm surprised by the low number of members especially under the G1 section. I think the G1 is a powerful but deep machine so I'm just trying to get the most out of all the potential is has to offer.

Thanks for your time!

Jim

• 1 month later...

Actually I don't understand why you are having trouble viewing the clinic video. I'm running Firefox on Kubuntu Linux with Noscript installed and I am ultraparanoid about granting permissions to sites to run any sorts of scripts on my system but I am still able to view the clinic video on my system.

Do you by any chance have any ad blocking software installed which might be rejecting the flash script? If so, you might try disabling it for the video.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I have been trying to watch the clinic on an iPad but only get through the first few seconds before it grinds to a halt.

I'll get on the family computer and see if I have any issues there. Hopefully everything will work out fine! The iPad can be glitchy with online videos.

Still, it would be nice if it were formatted and available on YouTube, just for convenience sake.

Thanks as always!

PIerre

Good luck with the iPad, but I think the video length is the main obstacle to posting it on Youtube. It runs over an hour and I think Youtube has a length limit on video postings. The only way I think it could be posted on Youtube is if it's edited and broken up into 6 or 7 parts.

Is there any way to install Firefox and Flash on an iPad?

Gary

Here is Mozilla's official position on Firefox for Apple products:

"We can't deliver Firefox itself to iPhone users because of Apple's restrictions."

As to the second part of your question - Steve Jobs and Adobe had a big falling out over Flash Player for future Apple products, so when you go into YouTube with an Apple product, it is an Apple alternative app or "Flash Player look alike" that is actually playing the video clip. Jobs felt that Flash was outmoded and inefficient, so they have headed down the path of the HTML players. Mozilla is headed that way too, but it doesn't seem to be catching on very fast. I think the interest and investment in Flash is much more deeply embedded than either Apple or Mozilla estimated.

Thanks for the heads up Ted. Personally I've been on the fence about purchasing any "fruity" computers for my rig. Up til now I've been managing quite well running a Linux only shop with brief forays into multiboot windows for stuff like firmware upgrades.

Somehow though, just can't seem to bring myself to lay out $600 plus for an ipad or a mac mini simply because everyone else seems to have one in the music industry.

Anyway, you're correct about all the major browsers moving away from Flash as a vehicle for streaming video. A few months back Mozilla announced there would be no future Flash development aside from bug fixes for its products on the Linux platform as well.

However, I, as one among many I believe, have my doubts as to the stability and usefulness of the replacements.

Months ago Youtube switched my account without my knowledge or consent to beta test their new HTML5 version of their site and caused me no end of grief for weeks on end until I finally found out what they had done and opted out of the beta program.

I really don't understand why programmers continually have to screw around with stable, working software and introduce a thousand screaming bugs just to add some useless social networking feature like facebook compatibility for users who neither want it nor requested it in the first place.

Frankly it makes me cringe everytime I run an update simply out of fear that it will break something important that was running perfectly fine up til that moment.