Joy Division - Decades

llarppp

So I was wondering if somebody would help me creating similar synth that is on Joy Divisions Decades. I know that they used ARP Omni-2, but I don't know much about different waveforms. So if somebody would be able to give me tips on how to create that kind of a sound, I would be pleased. I'm also looking for some other post-punk sounds that would suit my band.

Do you have an XW-P1 or G1?  P1 hex layer tones will be the way to go for these sounds.  The recording has a good bit of room reverb in there.  Another one of the things standing out most to me is pitch LFO in the synth strings.  I'm sure the XW's have the waveforms to do these. In hex tone editing, try the 70's synth string wave with some pitch LFO for that sound or try the pcm melody tone version and edit the vib rate to something slower and add some depth.   As for the ARP wave, in the XW, the ARP samples are code named "AP" and the 70 synth string wave is one too.  

• 1 month later...

Yo can start off by using the Ensemblinas preset  (I think it's Performance P-2-0), or the Arp String available here:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/498-hexlayer-10-pack/

might be quite similar (I used the Arp preset on a Just Like Heaven cover and resulted quite nice).

If you can create something closer (no pun intended) to the original, please share!