Video Files on Forum ×

performance mode noob question

Grachus

okay i was playing around last night with performance mode. trying to hear whats there and i would hit the sequencer to hear what pattern played along with the chosen performance.

i am not sure of how this is all built in the xp im getting that its complex. so far i understand  we have parts and tones and sequences all which can be edited and recorded to make your own performance.

i notice most of the performances are in c minor or e flat . 

so heres my question

my next step is to build my own performance. say i like the groove of the built in performance but not the key!!!

how can i dissasemble the performance mode or edit  the key and chord arrangement to build my own?

Or am i misunderstanding performance mode?

maybe its the sequenceer that is playing the chords?? ya probably 

so i guess i need a breakdown of the parts and how to make my own.

can i change the key chords in the sequencer  that plays with the performance???

wow im like a rabbit chasing its tail sometimes.... thanks for your patience. 

i am so enjoying this machine

• 2 weeks later...

Happy holidays Grachus, how are doing with your XW-P1. Brad's short answer is serious. The chords in a factory performance are created from within a sequence first, then attached to the performance.

You may want to start improvising creation of your own performance by taking a factory performance, saving it to a blank user performance and messing around with it from there, jus to learn what you can do rather start from a complete blank performance. The other wild thing about a performance is that you can-in addition to your sequenced chord progression-also trigger whatever phrase you want to-and arpeggios! These must be set up in sequencer mode first, then the performance mode settings have additional settings (user manual pages E63, 64 & 65) to control how each of these will play when you are in performance mode. If this sounds complicated....it is only because there are so many options as to what you can accomplish, so I would (just suggesting) get as familiar as you can with the sequencer operations, then attach one of your user sequences (or a preset factory one) to the performance and play around with that. Here is a quick guide I created for myself to get through creating a sequence.

1) Switch to step sequencer (3 buttons at top of panel)

2) Scroll to a blank user sequencer pattern

3) Select one part from 16 using part + and - buttons-push both to go to track 1

4) Press “start/stop” button to start sequencer

5) Check step sequencer button is selected on left of sequencer leds-this determines function of sliders

6) Master slider changes all notes at once

7) Press mixer button-this allows selecting different sound for each part

8) Press edit button to change note values-sliders will change accents and velocity

9) To play live from keys-make sure step edit is selected in edit button screen for each track

10) Push start/stop and play on keys

11) To create a longer loop for chord progressions-change note length to quarters, eighth notes-this steps through 16 steps of sequencer as that note value-even though drum loop is still only 1 measure-depending upon note value-it will sound like 2 or 4 measures depending upon step note value. Can only play that note value or longer.

12) Push “write” button to save sequence

Maybe this quickstart will make it worse for you, I don't know! But it helps me keep my head wrapped around getting the sequence done first if I want to add one to a performance. And I got the last step from the Mike Martin Youtube video-always remember to push "write"!