PX-560M high keys ringing out? (E6 and above)

neren

I just received my Privia PX-560 and I mostly like it, but there's one thing that's bugging me.

On the piano settings, no matter which reverb option I select, the high keys seem to ring out forever. What's especially bothersome about it to me is that there is no gradual transition, it starts at one exact key: the 2nd highest E key on the keyboard (E6). If I play the E-flat right next to it with the reverb turned all the way down, there is virtually no decay (as you would expect). As soon as you release the key the note stops ringing. But if I just move up one key to the E, I can play a very short staccato note and when I release it there is an echo-y reverb-y decay that rings out for ages. The stark contrast between these two neighboring keys is very unpleasant, especially when playing trills, etc. The remaining upper 2 octaves of the keyboard from that E key up have this same long-ringing behavior.

Is this just a feature of the keyboard? Is there some setting I can fiddle with to change this? Does your PX-560 exhibit the same behavior or is it possible that I got a messed up one? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Acoustic pianos do not have dampers on those higher notes, therefore sustain exactly as you noticed.  Casio is accurately emulating that trait.  

Is that right! Wow, thanks for letting me know, that actually makes me feel a lot better haha. I guess my digital piano-trained ears will just have to get used to it, but it's great knowing that I'm getting a more organic piano sound. Thanks again for the info.

While I've got you, I've got one more unrelated question if you don't mind? I've purchased a pair of monitors plug into the piano to give it a bit more low end. The speakers take TRS inputs. I was wondering what kind of output the Privia's line out uses. Would a cable with TRS on both ends work? (Sorry if I didn't phrase that super clearly, basically I'm just wondering exactly what type of cable I need to plug the PX-560 into a speaker with inputs labeled "TRS". The Speakers are Mackie CR3 if that helps)

You may want to try adjusting the Damper and Resonance settings. Main Menu ---> Effects ---> Acoustic Simulator.

It may tame the ringing in the upper notes, but will also lessen it across the rest of the piano as well. 

The outputs are unbalanced, but balanced (TRS) cables will work fine - they are just more expensive. 

Thanks so much for the advice. Glad I found this forum, everyone is very helpful.