Built in Speaker Only Stand Alone Sound Bad?

techtot

I just picked up a CGP700 because of weighted keys and touch screen.  However in the store, we unplugged the external speakers to see how the top sounded, and it was very tinny and bad.  However, when I got home I read in the manual, that you have to set external speaker setting to OFF.  Has anyone unpluged their "in-stand" speakers and tried the top speakers only.  Are they still really bad with the correct external speaker setting?  

I could still get a PX 360 instead which has better "top" built in speakers, is the reason for the question.  

The CGP-700 sounds fine without the external speakers, just not as great as with them. (I played two different CGP-700s today and demo it with and without the external speakers on all the time to show the difference.)

That being said, I've never had the external speakers On but disconnected. I've always turned them off and on via the System Settings menu.

• Like 1

^^ Thumbs up to everything Brad and Joe shared ^^ One other "Pro Tip" for using the CGP-700 (with or without the in-stand speakers): If you have the piano up against a wall it will sound much richer due to the "soundboard" effect of the wall. This is much more pronounced when using the in-piano speakers only. Of course, headphones are always an option and produce a very striking sound as well (no pun intended!)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :) 

Re: The PX-360: Make sure you try that out as well. The sound engine in the 360 is more advanced than in the 700 and you may find you like that more, esp. if you don't plan on using the included stand/speakers as much on the 700. 

• Like 1

Ok. How long is the speaker cable?  If I wanted put the keybd on a table and set the stand speakers on a shelf, what kind of distance can I get it from the Piano?  Since it's a custom cable , it would be hard to extend unless it is not hardwired into the speakers, but I think it is.

Ill go back to the store to check out the sound.  Also, I guess you can't record your self singing to a track, since it doesn't have the 1/4" input jack like the 360, correct?

The cable is only long enough to connect the piano when it is on the stand. 

RE: The PX-360 1/4" inputs. These are line level, not mic level. So if you want to connect a mic you will need a mixer or some other kind of pre-amp to boost the mic to the proper level. A small one like this will be just fine for that purpose: 
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502-XENYX502-5-Channel-Mixer/dp/B000J5UEGQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450310408&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+mixer

• 1 year later...

Scott or Joe,

I have a Casio CGP 700. I'm not sure how it happened but  I can't get any sound at all. I tried the system settings and a full factory reset and still nothing. I disconnected the external speakers and tried "speaker" and nothing. I can hear the keyboard " mono thru the Left audio out. Do you have any suggestions?

I played on PX 160/360/560, CGP700 in different environments.
It sounds every time different. 

To me it depends from many factors including what you have listen just right before and what sound you have used to.

The bottom line the sound of Privia is very competitive, in many cases it sounds clearer than other similar instruments(and less synthetic).
Plus in a few weeks most likely you will get used to it.
In year you probably will start appreciating the quality of the sound :)

My major concern is a noisy mechanics - the quality of the sound is the strongest side of Privia.

Did you try Celviano?

• 4 months later...
On 12/16/2015 at 6:03 PM, Scott Hamlin said:

Re: The PX-360: Make sure you try that out as well. The sound engine in the 360 is more advanced than in the 700 and you may find you like that more, esp. if you don't plan on using the included stand/speakers as much on the 700. 

Is this true? I am looking to purchase a 360 or CGP. Confused