How to turn off Chorus effect

Ric0055

Can someone tell me how to turn off the chorus effect on a WK-7600?  The first reverb option is "off" followed by all the available reverbs.  But once you select chorus, you only can scroll from chorus 1 - chorus 5.  There is no "off" option.  Changing the dsp disable button to "on" or "off" doesn't make a difference.  No matter what I try, there is always a black box next to "chorus" in the main display.

Thank you

Yeah, but then you have a DSP effect.  And they have the same problem, there is no "off" selection.  The lowest option is for "ton delay" which adds a delay effect. 

Maybe I need to clarify my first question... is there any way to turn off ALL effects?  

Disabling DSP doesn't turn off Chorus.  In fact, according to the instruction manual, page E-32, the second step to turning ON the chorus effect is to turn ON the disable DSP.  Not to mention, I currently have the DSP disable to ON and the chorus light is still on.  I can take a screen shot if I need to.  

(Edit: Disregard the DSP disable info I give. I don't have a WK-7600 to test this.  Ted has a WK-7500. He confirms how it actually works and clears up the issue in the next post) 

Only one type of effect (chorus or DSP) can be used at a time on the WK-7600.  If the chorus light is on, Chorus/DSP is set to chorus.  Set it to DSP to disable chorus.  

Brad

Ric is correct.  Toggling from CHORUS to DSP turns CHORUS off, but disabling DSP automatically turns CHORUS back on, both in reality and in what the display shows.  He is trying to disable both CHORUS and DSP in an attempt to turn them both off globally, but it doesn't work that way, as he has already discovered.  To be certain, I applied a max CHORUS send of 127 to an EP tone and saved it as a USER TONE.  The display showed CHORUS on and the CHORUS effect was obvious.  I toggled from CHORUS to DSP.  The CHORUS indicator went off, the DSP indicator came on, and the CHORUS effect went away.  I then turned DSP disable on.  The DSP indicator went off, the CHORUS indicator came on, and the CHORUS effect was obviously back.  So, any time DSP is off, or disabled, or unavailable in any way, CHORUS will be on, by defaullt.  CHORUS/DSP availability is a strictly toggle operation.  When one is not available, the other will be.  I have now verified this on my CTK-6000, my CTK-7000, and my WK-7500, and I will gaurantee that Ric's WK-7600 will operate the same.  I thought I covered all this in another thread a couple of years ago, but I can not find it now.  Maybe that was in a different forum.

Now - Ric

I think you are misunderstanding what you are seeing in the display.  The REVERB, CHORUS, and DSP indicators only show that that effect is AVAILABLE to that particular TONE, if it is applied in the SEND levels.  It does not indicate that that effect is being "forced" upon that particular TONE. For example - the default StreoGrPno preset (TONE A:001) has the CHORUS indicator on, but if you press the TONE EDIT button and RIGHT ARROW over to TONE EDIT Page 6/8, you will see that the CHORUS send level is set to 000, meaning that no CHORUS is actually being applied to that TONE, even though the CHORUS indicator is on in the display. The only way to determine if REVERB, CHORUS, or DSP is actually being applied to a particular tone is to go into the MIXER or the TONE EDITOR and check the SEND levels.  I think you would find that most of the acoustic instrument emulating tones have very little, if any, CHORUS applied, but if a particular tone has CHORUS applied that you do not care for, you can go into the TONE EDITOR, set the CHORUS send level to 000, and save it as a USER TONE.   You've got a WK-7600, so that means you have 100 USER TONE slots.  That should be enough to last you for a while.  I do not understand why Casio did not provide us with a global on/off for CHORUS and DSP as they did for REVERB, but this is what we got and how we have to live with it.  Best of luck with that 7600.

Regards,

Ted

• Like 1

No problem, Brad.  It is nice to have something to contribute for a change.  All of these CTK/WK boards have been out for a while, so we don't see much traffice here any more, except for the guys who are experimenting with things their boards really weren't designed for, which I am just not into.  Since I sold my XW some time ago, I don't have anything to contribute over there, so it does get a bit lonesome around here at times.

In this case, I wish I could find that stuff I wrote up a couple of years ago.  It was a lot more in depth than this and covered several associated items.  Its got to be out there somewhere.

Ted

• Like 1

Ric, try this:

1. In the mixer, set chorus level for all parts to 0. The mixer settings should override tone settings.

2. From the external midi device (for example PC with DAW or MIDI OX) send the message:

F0H 7FH 7FH 04H 05H 01H 01H 01H 01H 02H 00H 00H F7H

something of it can help.

But, why do you want to switch off the chorus entirely, not for a particular part?

i tested my own suggestions..

the 2th one doesn't work. this command sets up "Chorus1" effect

the 1st works bad when autoaccompanent is used - when it starts, mixer drops at style default values.

i can offer 3rd option: you can set in mixer DSPLine to the part which don't use (for example 16). Then, in other parts Chorus will switch off

• 1 year later...

I just bought a Casio WK-7600 some weeks ago at Thomann. I can't turn effects off, there does not seem to be a way to turn chorus off. I read this post about what I consider a workaround, which is to turn the DSP off in the mixer mode. When I try to access the mixer I get an error stating "No card, press exit". What does the card have to do with the mixer?.

I have been a proud owner in the past of some mid range Casio synths, which had a superb price to quality ratio. I can't say the same about WK-7600. Apart from the audio quality, and the finish..., the firmware is clearly faulty, I constantly get that very same error randomly when pressing buttons that have nothing to do with the function I try to access. Is there any way to upgrade the firmware and have a working device at least?. The only reason I have not returned the product is because I ordered it over the Internet and returning it to Germany would imply a big hassle and expense.