PX5-S no sound bug

rbernardes

Hello everyone!

I bought the PX5-S 3 years ago. I love this keyboard, but I'm worried about something wrong with it.

When I'm playng a Stage Setting (0-0, for an example) and I change to another SS (like 1-3), the keyboard has no sound and no MIDI messages. I have to turn it off and turn it on again and then it return to normal operation.

Is it a bug? My PX has the lastest firmware and I restored to factory settings. This issue occurred more than three times with me, just as I was playing in the gigs (last time was yesterday).

Can someone help me? I'm considering to sell it and buy another key.

Mery Christmas!

P.S.: Sorry my English. Google Translator is helping me :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: . 

When this issue occurred yesterday the PX was connected in a laptop with USB-MIDI (it explains no midi messages sending), but it already happened with no midi connected.

I cannot stay without the key because of New Year's gigs, and the Technical Support is in recess, besides it's in São Paulo (93 miles away home).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

This has happened to me on a couple of occasions too, both times I have cured it by switching off and back on - not a great thing to have to do in a gig situation. In my case I would switch to a particular stage setting (one that features of my own edited tones) only to find that the tone is silent. In both cases the stage setting was a split keyboard set-up and the non-sounding area was below the split point. Adjusting the level of S1 (zone volume) had no effect - but then worked perfectly once the power was restored and the setting reselected.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a wild shot in the dark here but I think it may be hardware related.

3 years in Brazilian heat and humidity plays hell on sliders and pots and you may be experiencing some sort of intermittent disconnects.

That would be enough to throw the whole keyboard logic out of kilter.

As a first step, maybe try squirting some contact cleaner into the sliders and pots and keep your fingers crossed that it clears up the problem.

Next step would be to open it up and check for dodgy solder joints on the controllers.

Gary ;)

• Like 1

Just a wild shot in the dark here but I think it may be hardware related.

3 years in Brazilian heat and humidity plays hell on sliders and pots and you may be experiencing some sort of intermittent disconnects.

That would be enough to throw the whole keyboard logic out of kilter.

As a first step, maybe try squirting some contact cleaner into the sliders and pots and keep your fingers crossed that it clears up the problem.

Next step would be to open it up and check for dodgy solder joints on the controllers.

Gary ;)

I don't think pots and sliders are disconecting. I was using them and didn't notice that.

Are you using headphones? Was you connected to midi?

I'm using Mono out and no mídi connections
  • Like 1

I don't think pots and sliders are disconecting. I was using them and didn't notice that.

You fail to grasp what I am talking about.

In tropical climates potentiometer surfaces are an ideal breeding ground for mold, mildew and oxidation.

When in normal use these pots have a built in "self cleaning feature" that wipes the grunge off when you slide them back and forth.

However since the problem is intermittent crud can build up on the wipers and cause INTERMITTENT disconnects from the circuitry.

This kind of crud can also affect the control buttons of the front panel as well.

If it were my keyboard I'd take it apart and give all the switches and pots a thorough cleaning with the appropriate chemicals.

Also since you mentioned you were a gigging musician it's possible that the continuous bangs and vibration that the keyboard gets during transport could cause a marginal solder joint to fail, also intermittently.

You keep on asking if this is a known software or firmware bug.  All the answers you have received so far have told you it isn't.

That rules out everything except a hardware failure.

Take it to a tech and have him track it down if you are not comfortable taking apart your board, but be advised that intermittents are notoriously devious and tricky to track down.

It's up to you but I think you can keep on doing factory resets until the cows come home and the problem will just keep on coming back.

Gary ;)

• Like 1

I can't understand why it occurred only on piano sound...

When it happened, I set the Stage Setting 2-0 (don't remember the name, but it's a factory preset) and, instead piano + strings, I heard only strings. Immediately I set 0-0 and didn't hear the piano. Master Volume isn't zero and no sliders or pots were moved. It's very weird.

I use the key twice a month in a church near home, so vibrations are out of question.

I'm still inclined to believe it's a gummy pot or a switch somewhere.  Either that or a bad solder joint.

I think at this point you either have to spend a couple hundred to have a technician fix it, or else sell it off to someone else who is willing to figure out the problem himself.

Either way, if you decide to sell it please be honest when you advertise it about the problem.

Nobody likes a scumbag ebay seller who unloads a problem child for full price.

Gary ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'm here again.

Today I had the same issue in the studio. No piano sounded, but EP's and other tones were Ok. I hit the DEMO song (Hey Brad!! ;)), it played correctly. After that, the piano tone sounded normally.

What could it be :huh:?

P.S.: I should've recorded this, but I had no camera to do it :banghead: ...

A completely wild guess here.....but could the pedal be involved?  Do you ever use the pedal to turn zones on and off on the stage settings which go wrong?

The reason I ask is that a few times I have had a situation where I have programmed a sound to be ON. but able to be turned off with the pedal; only to find that when I called it up it was actually OFF. Furthermore, on these few occasions, sometimes once that has happened then one press of the pedal is not enough to turn it on. Sometimes it has taken TWO.

• Like 1