PX-5S acoustic piano sounds

stuarth25

Hi Guys, I posted on 04 November (acoustic piano sounds). I sent my PX for repair and after 7 weeks I got a brand new replacement. I am now faced with my original problem, which was acoustic pianos sounding too "belly" in the mid range (really noticeable within half dozen notes or so around middle C area up to E). I thought it could be the old equipment I was using at home, so I bought AKG K240 mk2 phones and JBL LSR monitors, but the mid range "glass bell" sound is still there and now even more prominent. A couple of guitar friends listened through the PA system down at the club. One said it was only very minor and another said it was very "belly".  A topic on this forum from Glenn(RocknRolldentist) mentioned it as a "bellish" sound and I also read a review where someone called it a "plastic" sound. It seems some hear it more than others. Does anyone know of a way to sort this problem, as I love the PX for its stage settings and other instruments and don't want to have to part with it, but the sound is driving me mad. Please help.

I think you are noticing the hallmark sound of the concert grand piano they sampled.  Try this.  Press system settings>general>touch response>set it to heavy.  Go to 0-0 Concert grand. Turn knob 1 down all the way.  Or....instead of turning knob 1 down, press the piano tone button and choose the rock piano.  Another good one to try is Dulce Piano. If all of that is not to your liking, go to the downloads section and try different pianos.  I have some in my sig below as well, like band grand.   

• Like 3

hi BradMZ, thanks for quick response. It makes the "glass bell" sound on every piano through the 00 range , including GM pianos, although less noticeable on GM Honky Tonk.  I have just tried something.  If I record to USB and play back through the PX-5S I get the glass bell sound, but if I play the USB recording through my pc or other devices it sounds beautiful.  So do you think nothing can be done?

All of the piano tones are based on the same sampled piano.  They will sound similar. I'm thinking your master effects are altered.  Press and hold the master effect button until the light is flashing.  This will disable that. Now play it and listen.  If it still sounds "bell like" could you make a recording from the line out so we can hear what you hear? 

• Like 1

Did as you said and it sounds the same. I don't have any recording device, so will have to borrow something. May take a few days, I can't get about as much these days (lung cancer, had lung removed).  When I get recording device, you will need to talk me through the process of uploading the sound to the forum. Not very technical (age thing you know)

I'm arranging to go to a Casio retail store (nearest is about 50 miles away) and take my AKG phones and listen to another PX5-S and see if it sounds the same as mine. I will then know if it is the Casio or my ears, where the problem lies. I want to use my time enjoying my music, not sorting out problems. If anyone else can hear the "glass bell like" sound around middle C, to be more specific B to E, on all the acoustic pianos please let me know.

• Like 1

Stuart, I'm going to go back to my original thought.  You just dont like the real piano Casio sampled. Try stage setting 7-0 Dolce Grand.  It's a little more mellow and woody.  Also, as you have noticed, headphones and speakers can make a big difference in how it sounds.  EQ is very important with piano.  The 4 knobs adjust EQ in piano stage settings.  I would tweak those until you get a sound you like.  

• Like 1

All of the piano samples on the PX-5s are from the same piano, yes.  However, the sound engine on the PX-5s can alter those samples into many other sounds. Some very different from the original.  Here is one you should download and install that is very different from any factory piano.  

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/567-old-upright/

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by 0-0 pianos.  Did you install the alternate order stage settings? 

Can someone explain why on acoustic pianos, the piano tone changes (from bell like to smooth) from E to F (above middle C) and on Hex layer p20 (Hex Mf Piano) tone changes (from bright to smooth) from Eb to E

In my experience working for manufacturers this kind of thing is usually a characteristic of the actual piano that was sampled. Also, the sample editing and processing required to get raw samples ready for prime time can have an effect on the sound that might yield results similar to what you describe. Sometimes harsh characteristics (harmonics, partials, etc) on certain notes/ranges need to be dampened and rolled off, etc. These steps *need* to be done or the samples would sound INSANE upon playback.

The risk of fixing harsh partials is creating too much of a timbral difference between adjacent notes/ranges. Those of us who make a living in sound design drive ourselves mad trying to strike an optimal balance between smoothing out the sound while not going too far and creating unnatural transitions. Based on my experience and that of most PX customers I've observed I'd say that Casio did an admirable job tackling this tricky issue.

• Like 2

Thanks for all you help guys, especially Brad for his patience with me (I must drive him mad) and Dave Weiser for a good logical explanation. I'm beginning to think that I must have have sensitive ears as my sister thinks the PX-5S sounds beautiful and can't hear bell like tones. So for now I, when I play at home, it will be with my old "cheapo" phones (which lower the bell sound for me) and when I get the chance, I will still try another 5S just to satisfy myself.

Thanks again, Stuart

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

did you try to set the String Reso and Damper Reso to 0 and listen to it maybe be resonance makes a part of it ,,,i hate the Stringreso set to 15 it is to present ,....in the pianos so i always use settings around 5 -7.

Also try to set the filter to a differente setting and tweak with resonance, sometimes programming an underlaying sound in the Hexsection can alter the Pianosound

thats wat i use to give more fullness or Punch to a Pianopatch ---