Video Files on Forum ×

Px 560 standard tones default parameters

Paulei

Hi and happy new year from an Italian happy new owner of a Casio Px 560 digital piano.

My question is if it is possible make the tones parameters modification stay in memory without create a user tone.

As default, in many tones the LFO "Pitch Mod.Depth" is at +08 and give to the tone a kind of tremolo effect witch I do not like (and it is so unrealistic that I thought it was left after some kind of quality control, and I try to make a factory reset, but it seems to be a default setting).

At the moment I have created some banks, where the tones are with the sound how I like it and it work fine, but when I have to select a tone "on the fly" I always have to go down on the pages to search my user tone.

Plus, pushing the "grand piano" button, the standard grand piano tone is automatically recalled...

Is there a turnaround?

Thank in advance for help, and sorry for my "Italian" English.

Tone edits have to be saved as a user tone.  You should not be selecting tones "on the fly" during performance.  Registration memory is designed for performance and should be used to store your tone assignments for one button recall.  

As far as mod depth, check your modulation wheel.  It should be in the full down position, not middle position like the bender wheel.   

Tone edits have to be saved as a user tone.  You should not be selecting tones "on the fly" during performance.  Registration memory is designed for performance and should be used to store your tone assignments for one button recall.  

As far as mod depth, check your modulation wheel.  It should be in the full down position, not middle position like the bender wheel.

It was my problem.....Big thank from an Italian donkey!
  • Like 1

I must admit that I had the same problem and spent a lot of time trying to figure it out. In the end, I realized that the modulation wheel should be in the down position. The thing is that even factory reset doesn't help if you have your modulation wheel in some random position. Also, there's no information about the current value of the modulation parameter on the screen. I don't remember exactly what led me to the solution, but I think I assigned one of the knobs to modulation and then saw the actual value on the main screen and realized it looks like a wrong one.

It's interesting to hear that Paulei hit the same issue and found a different solution for it.

All in all, I consider it an usability issue, at least for beginners. It is such a bad experience when you take your brand new piano out of the box, turn it on, press the "Grand Piano" button and hear that it sounds so bad. Even worse, when the issue doesn't go away after factory reset. It think there should be a warning in the manual or a firmware update that will set things up, such that "Grand Piano" sounds good out of the box even if an inexperienced or absent-minded user doesn't initially care about the modulation wheel. You may argue that this is a pro board and pro users would like the modulation wheel enabled, but I think it deserves some attention.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I too had this same issue.  I received my PX-560 one day before a gig.  I tested it briefly at home and it was great.  I put it in my travel bag with a bath towel laying over the top.  When I set it up at the gig, I was unable to make it sound like a piano, in fact none of the tones sounded right.  I tried everything which included making sure the indentations on the two wheels were aligned with each other.  The next day I called Casio Customer Support.  Evidently there are two (maybe more) levels of support staff.  Without going into detail, I must say that the first level is woefully uninformed.  After a few questions, I was given the option of waiting 24 hours for a 2nd level person to call or send it in for repair.  Since I had only owned the keyboard for two days, I decided to box it up and send it back to Amazon for a refund.  The same day, I ordered another (PX-560) from a local dealer who said it should arrive in about 10 days.  I'm still waiting.  That modulation wheel should be removed and reinstalled after rotating it so when it's off, the indentation lines up with the wheel next to it.  The current alignment is obviously unconventional and very misleading.       

That modulation wheel should be removed and reinstalled after rotating it so when it's off, the indentation lines up with the wheel next to it.  The current alignment is obviously unconventional and very misleading.       

It's been the standard for years by Casio and other brands.  The mod wheel is not spring loaded like the bend wheel.  The down position is the minimum position like a slider would be.   Perhaps a clear graphic label would help newcomers understand.  

PitchBendWheel.PNG

nektar-impact-lx88-mod-wheel-pitch-bend-

IMG_8052.JPG

emushortboard_pitch_wheel.jpg

IMGP3685.jpg

http://www.christeck.de/wp/wp-content/uploads/christeck.de/20111114-spielhilfen_003.jpg

• Like 1

Well I guess I stand corrected.  I learned something new and now I know.  I wish I would have found this site two days ago.  I am a newbie and obviously have a lot to learn, but I certainly do not want to re-invent the wheel (get it).   I have other questions but I think next time I'll do a little more leg work before posting.  I do want to point out though, and it really makes no difference at this point, the advertising photo of the Privia PX-560 both on Amazon and Casio's own web site show the wheel in question in the middle position.  Thanks again.   

( I would have included the photos but I don't know how to do that yet.)     

• Like 1

Not only do apparently all the official static photos for the PX-560 (and the PX-5S) show the mod wheel indent lined up with the indent of the pitch wheel, the photographers must have done it intentionally. They apparently have some misplaced notion of symmetry. The photographer(s) of the XW synths didn't make that same "mistake", so it's curious. But not unprecedented. I have seen the same thing from Moog in the last few years (but not on all models and not even on all photos of a given model).

Hey, Mike, you should let the photographers of these products know the "error" of their ways.