Video Files on Forum ×

Casio MZ-X

AlenK

From the specs it seems that iOS is not supported. Very likely you can.do midi over sub with a camera kit connection. For me, the fact that a data editor for iPad does not exists, is a bad marketing strategy and not respectful for all people that use iPad as a gear. For example, a midi file could be downloaded from the iPad, transferred to the mz-x500 and converted to a style without employing a Usb stick and a computer.

I own a Px5s and I LOVE the keyboard but I really wish that I could use my iPad to edit the keyboard settings and I was hoping that Casio will follow this path in the next generation keyboards.

Well the MZ-X500 looks quite interesting...I personally think the new color scheme (blue) is a welcome change and it's good to note that Casio finally granted their flagship arranger workstation those MIDI I/O ports, expression pedal input (that the WK-series lacked) and added the multi-pad functionality as well.

And the speakers of the MZ-X500...these should be quite loud for an arranger workstation class...I remember my old Casio CTK-811Ex keyboard is still functional after more than a decade and it's speakers were already loud back then (and they still are to this date).  

Now all that remains to be heard more of (other than the hardware specs) are the actual instrument/tone samples. Hopefully the bread n' butter sound samples have been improved...at the very least. I also hope that Casio makes a more comprehensive product/sound demo of this new arranger workstation in the coming weeks or months.

If this arranger actually had a 76-key version...it'll be steal versus it's supposed competitions within the $1000-$1299 price range (i.e. Yamaha PSR-S770, Korg PA 600, Roland E-A7).

I thought it was Gary Jules. :huh: but Ralp vocals seems to switch it. <_<

anyhu if that are the MZ X piano sounds I'm a bit wowwed :lol:

I didn't realize Gary Jules recorded a version of Mad World. (I never actually heard of Gary Jules before but now that I read this was used in Donnie Darko I do remember hearing his version in that.) He slowed it down a lot but it's still the Tears for Fears song. Same notes, same lyrics. You did realize it isn't his song, right? Ralph does do major damage to the lyrics, however. http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/tearsforfears/madworld.html

I still prefer the original:

Re the piano since Casio specifies the "MXi sound source" it might be as good as the CGP-700, which is just a small step down from the AiR piano in the opinion of Pianoman Chuck and a HUGE step up from what is in the WK-7600/CTK-7200.

• Like 1

It looks like the sample engine is the same as in the XW-PD1. 

Indeed (Long: 9 seconds x 4, Short: 3 seconds x 32)

Interesting. I guess this should be a little more flexible than the G1's sample engine (aside from the G1's 21hz mode??), though why they cant adopt a standard sample frequency is a little baffling.

• Like 2

Interesting. I guess this should be a little more flexible than the G1's sample engine (aside from the G1's 21hz mode??), though why they cant adopt a standard sample frequency is a little baffling.

If you have to put sampler that gives user sounds will be very good. It has authentic instruments Brazil that everybody uses.I am seen in some video that has cavaquinho tambourine berimbal the MZ-X.

But still has the sounds of accordion Todeschini and Scandalli it is very necessary.

If the MZ does not sampler tone. I think it's a fusion of the WK with XW.

And the question is whether it has sampler and it can be added in Style.

Roland E-A7 has samplers with 4 layers create user.

Not everyone knows how to create samplers but who usually creates passes for the rest it does not create. ;)

Hi there, 

Does that mean having maximum of 4 samples of 9 seconds per song instead of 32 short samples per song?  Or does it mean you can mix long and short samples?  Thanks. 

Also, question about the MZ-X500's  256MB Expansion Memory.  Is this for storing User rhythms / User tones / User WAV samples?  Thanks 

Hi there, 

Does that mean having maximum of 4 samples of 9 seconds per song instead of 32 short samples per song?  Or does it mean you can mix long and short samples?  Thanks. 

Also, question about the MZ-X500's  256MB Expansion Memory.  Is this for storing User rhythms / User tones / User WAV samples?  Thanks 

In my understanding.

Looping sampler is good for styles where you can add variations of percussion and drums and maybe some guitar riffs and acoustic guitar.

Now if the sampler itself is very useful for solo instruments or even to add in rhythm.

The sampler you can expand the keyboard sounds even if it has a small memory.

I think 256mb would be up enough to add sounds in the same keyboard with issues you can not get in quality.

THERE IS NO KEYBOARD WITH TONES 100%.

The sampler feature dramatically decreases the keyboard limitation in to play regional music combined with user styles and looping sampler you have an instrument that will become always updated with the trends of the moment.

Here in Brazil the music is so varied and active and always has news.

I believe that the CASIO is on track and will sell much from the time that musicians have created regional styles and sounds for the MZS.

In my understanding.

Looping sampler is good for styles where you can add variations of percussion and drums and maybe some guitar riffs and acoustic guitar.

Now if the sampler itself is very useful for solo instruments or even to add in rhythm.

The sampler you can expand the keyboard sounds even if it has a small memory.

I think 256mb would be up enough to add sounds in the same keyboard with issues you can not get in quality.

THERE IS NO KEYBOARD WITH TONES 100%.

The sampler feature dramatically decreases the keyboard limitation in to play regional music combined with user styles and looping sampler you have an instrument that will become always updated with the trends of the moment.

Here in Brazil the music is so varied and active and always has news.

I believe that the CASIO is on track and will sell much from the time that musicians have created regional styles and sounds for the MZS.

Thanks for your response, Silvano   :)

hi all...im curious about the mz-x 500 and 300's capabilities to import smf files into a custom rthym, its not really been touched on yet.Does the funtion operate similiar to the korg Pa4x,where you convert a smf song straight to a new rythm,or is there differences,...just hoping you guys have some info ,or speculation on this

hi all...im curious about the mz-x 500 and 300's capabilities to import smf files into a custom rthym, its not really been touched on yet.Does the funtion operate similiar to the korg Pa4x,where you convert a smf song straight to a new rythm,or is there differences,...just hoping you guys have some info ,or speculation on this

Hi, screenshot, 

Don't know about the Pa4x, but here's a screenshot of the MZ-X500/300's SMFimportScreen. 

Looks like it works on individual MZ-~X's rhythm patterns (for example intro or variation) but not to an entire rhythm all at once?

So I'm guessing to work through the individual patterns until you've got a complete new 'rhythm'?  

Looking at the options listed on the screenshot, I would expect to do much tweaking and experimenting to get a satisfactory new rhythm.  But it certainly looks very interesting! - & can't wait to try it! .    :)

post-2551-0-42279400-1454485089_thumb.pn

Hey thanks for the reply,and attached piccy,looks like there's work to be done to get the finished rythm...

I'm sure when I get mine,I can ask advice on here if I hit trouble working it out..you never know we may all have SMF rythms of our favourite songs,and be able to swap them with each other...this keyboard is gonna open up some great possibilities

• Like 1

Saw another MZ-X500 being demoed I have a feeling this keyboard could exceed any expectation. 

I agree. I think for the "one-man-band" performer the MZ-X line will be a hit. I also think for the home hobbyist like myself, these keyboards will help take a song from "concept to completion". If you have some chord changes and a melody you can flesh out the rest with the styles, samples, and effects. 

• Like 1

Now c'mon guys, you know that no one sells for MSRP (unless they don't want to sell anything). Even Casio is quoting street prices to people at the booth: about $1100 for the X500 and about $900 for the X300. Whether they are "worth it" or not is an open question, of course.

And comparing them to Krome and FA-06 (not 08) is not quite fair. The MZ-X models are not workstations. They're quite clearly arrangers, with a far different set of features. As such they should be compared instead to Korg Pa300 (~$850) and Pa600 (~$1150), Roland GW-8 (~$1000) and BK-5 (~$1000), Yamaha PSR-S670 ($800) and PSR-S770 ($1200).  I haven't done a feature-by-feature comparison nor am I likely to do so (I'm not in the market for an arranger) but that wouldn't tell the whole story because we don't know how the MZ-X's really sound, do we? Maybe sound-wise they ARE capable of running neck-and-neck with the competition at the same price level. Maybe they are better. Don't count Casio out so early in the game. Have a little faith.

So, what makes a "workstation" a "workstation?"

The high price, or the fact that you're able to do what you need to do on it, like a "workstation?"

Unless those MSRP prices are going to be discounted by 50% or more I won't even look at these in a store :P

Gary ;)

The PX-5S has about 1/2 the capabilities of the MZ-X, at least on paper, yet it goes for $999 Sweetwater.

The MZ-X is going for only $100 more and it's loaded.

The PX-5S has about 1/2 the capabilities of the MZ-X, at least on paper, yet it goes for $999 Sweetwater.

Whilst I don't doubt there may well be substance in your statement, the fact that one is 61 key and the other semi weighted 88 does suggest it may be a bit of a sweeping statement.

i use to think the same way about speakers in the Casio. Then I hear about these 40watt speakers. Thought to my self, "Maybe I'll finally hear my self in STERO ON STAGE."

Yea I know, you can take to a gig two powered monitors, two stands, all the extra wire and power drop bowes to plug in ALL THAT EXTRA STUFF. SCEW IT! I've changed my mind. Casio should totally get on this, much like the car manufactures did, by going full force on the radio that comes in your car. HOT ROD KILLER SPEAKERS IN YOUR FACE! They'll have to put a defeat switch so as to monitor a band mix , or what ever. 

I have a PX-5s and plan on ADDING a MZ-500. Remember, the PX is 88 note. Stereo out of PX-5S to stereo in of the MZ-X -500 you'll have both keys in stereo in your face! Then instead of using your powered monitor for a monitor, take an aux monitor mix from the board. No need to carry an additional  powered monitor stand wires for stereo. Also the mic in on the MZ-500 has a addicted effect.

AHHHHHH STEREO KEYS NICE AND EASY.

• Like 1

i use to think the same way about speakers in the Casio. Then I hear about these 40watt speakers. Thought to my self, "Maybe I'll finally hear my self in STERO ON STAGE."

Yea I know, you can take to a gig two powered monitors, two stands, all the extra wire and power drop bowes to plug in ALL THAT EXTRA STUFF. SCEW IT! I've changed my mind. Casio should totally get on this, much like the car manufactures did, by going full force on the radio that comes in your car. HOT ROD KILLER SPEAKERS IN YOUR FACE! They'll have to put a defeat switch so as to monitor a band mix , or what ever. 

Hi, just started browsing the MZ' User (basic) manual that I got printed recently.  Like the simple style and layout, with hardly any 'synth speak' to confound the non-expert like myself.  Here's a quick quiz, answers can be got from the manual download link:  

Casio MZ-X500/300 User's Guide (Basics) PDF link: 

Casio MZ-X USER’S GUIDE (Basics) quiz

1.  What are called the MZ's musical Auto-accompaniments?

(a)   Bands    (b  Combos   ©  Styles  (d)  Rhythms

2.  What is called the sound made by a MZ's selected instrument?

(a)  Patch  (b  Sound  ©  Tone   (d)  Voice

3.  Which symbol or symbols warns you of Unsaved Data?

(a)  USD     (b  =?=    ©  S?     (d)  !   

4.  How to return the digital keyboard to factory settings (like when brand new)?  

(a) Switch keyboard off and then on again. 
(b Hold down both Tempo buttons whilst switching off Kbd 
© Hold down both Tempo buttons whilst switching on Kbd
(d) Factory settings can only be reset by approved Casio technician.

5.  What is the function of the extreme right, front row button? 

(a)  audio recorder   (b  music stand lock   © freeze   (d) sustain

6. What is the function of the extreme left, front row button?  

(a) Slow/Fast & Port  (b  Intro  © Tap tempo (d)  metronome 

7. What does the Quick Palette do?

(a) plays dance music selections at max speed. 
(b  navigates between screens.
©  stretches drum rolls. 
(d) applies change of colour to text.

8.  What is the approximate weight of the MZ-X500?

(a)  7.6kg   (b 15kg  © 11kg  (d) 17.kg

9.  What is the Audio File Format of MZ's?

(a) .wav (16bit, 44.1kHz Mono)
(b .wav  (16bit, 48.1kHz, Stereo)
© .wav (16bit, 44.1kHz, Stereo)
(d) .wav (16bit, 32 kHz, Stereo)

10  Troubleshooting: No sound at all from my headphones.  

(a)  The Volume controller is set to 'Min'.
(b  Did you forget to switch on the keyboard?
©  Did you connect headphones but have yet to put them on?

(d)  Check your calendar: these MZ-Xs aren't for sale yet.  

:)