Video Files on Forum ×

G1 Review Diary

CairnsFella

Hi All,

Finally started working my way through the various facets of the G1.

Although I have had the smallest of small peeks at many of the functions, I plan on working my way through each aspect of the board more thoroughly and will note my findings in each area as I go. This may take some time.

I suppose there will not be that many people interested in a 'review' based post at this time in the G1's lifespan. However the thread is relevant to this board, and I am also interested in reflecting upon my own findings over time.

I should also note that I had specific reasons for buying the G1 which I wave no doubt that the unit will fulfill. Specifically I wanted a simple but flexible step sequencer. For the price, I felt that what the G1 lacked in this area compared to a number of dedicated units were only limited compromises for me. (I am sure experienced electribe and novation circuit users may feel there is no comparison, however I currently do not have 'power user' aspirations and was convinced with what I had read and seen that my requirements were more than covered).

I guess that this next statement is a bit of a spoiler regarding my first 'element', but regardless of whether I love or hate every other aspect, I have little doubt that I will be happy with my purchase because of this section alone. That said, I will still give an objective opinion on that area once I have delved in a little.

A little more background may also give some context.

I am an amateur (and a mature) bass player. In fact I am that amateur that I prefer to say Bass owner. I primarily play at regular organised jams in my area, and occasionally a few of us will get together in generally short lived side projects. Historically I played in a couple of bands, but very low key and having done limited performances.

In what was a long 'middle period' I got into computer based music, though eventually realized that I had wasted years in the pursuit of 'sound creation' (and I literally mean sounds i.e. synth/vst programming and sample mangling) and had all but ceased any song creation or hands on instrument playing. I also built up a fair bit of kit in that time (though a drop in the ocean compared to what many guys here have). Most of it is old now and I dont add things often due to finances, need, desire to play more than fiddle, space etc. In short I have half a dozen guitars and basses, several guitar pedals and multi fx, a few bass and guitar amps, mics, vocal fx some rack gear including effects and sampler, and old Technics Electric Piano & Technics WSA1 Synth (The brand loyalty is a coincidence as the piano was my late mothers), a Roland MV8000, a few drum pads and a couple of drum machines, a couple of recorders/mixers, and a selection of PC software and interfaces. And for monitoring I use (dependent upon what I am doing) either a pair of passive Celestion PA speakers, or my - reasonably new addition of - JBL LSR308's and a a fairly cheap Cerwin Vega Sub.

I guess few of you are still here after that dull intro, but I just want to put myself into context when I comment upon the various aspects of the G1.

Preset Sounds

I first of all want to paraphrase myself

".......but regardless of whether I love or hate every other aspect, I have little doubt that I will be happy with my purchase..."

Essentially I do not want to be seen as a negative Nellie about the board in general given that the first area I cover is just that unfortunately.

I had a little play with all of the on-board sounds and I must say that I was a little bit disappointed, and that was despite not having hugely high hopes in the first place.

Yes, I had listened to many demos, tutorials, and reviews, but mainly on my tablet or through our lounge PC and Home Theatre setup. Even though I have listened to some in my music room, I realized there was a dependency on the recording quality.

But in person the sounds really didnt jump out at me any more. I may be talking out of my rear technically here, but it is almost as if the compression inherent in the video clips may have flattered the tones. Any gains in the dynamics from playing the keyboard directly through my system are offset by how much more 'clearly' I can tell that the sounds are lacking.

Let me break this down further in the interests of fairness.

PCM sounds

I do not believe that many people would disagree that this isn't the forte of this board anyway. In fact I am sure there are plenty that believe it isn't the forte of the P1 either, and given that we know, for example, the piano is lesser than the P1, it was never likely to be a standout area.

I have limited experience with other current budget boards, but I can say that in my opinion my other keyboards - originating the best part of two decades ago - have better bread and butter sounds. Maybe not 100% across the board, but in the vast majority of cases. I had a distant hope that the G1 'might' have a chance of showing up my fellow jammer's old Korg T3 (Which only had 8MB of ROM) but this clearly isnt going to be the case.

Other than the vague possibility that my JBL's are still not 'run in' properly (which is a long shot, and still doesn't explain the discrepancies with my other boards) I have little to add that isnt rubbing salt in the wounds.

** I am not saying that anyone who disagrees with me is 'wrong' but this is my honest personal opinion. I would also add that this is only about the preset sounds as they are. I will try playing with them in a later 'modified sounds' section**

Solo Synth sounds

I can be brief here as essentially I feel the same about these as I do the PCM sounds. The only reason that it was worth separating this from the PCM is that I had slightly higher hopes for this element. Still, I am going to remain optimistic that once I start to modify the sounds and learn where the Solo Synth strengths lie, I could still be surprised. Although there would need to be a corresponding improvement in preset modulation controls which in the presets seem at best, to have a limited usable range.

Sample presets

Ok. So there are a couple of cheesy presets in the sample section (I actually need to double check this i.e. that they are not just PCM sounds that I have assumed are in the sample section). I was a little apprehensive regarding the sampler given some of the specs banded around. Having said that I was actually rather pleased with the clarity the vocal samples seemed to demonstrate. there is of course little I can comment upon in this area really though as the sample section (whether the sounds I heard were samples or not) is all about your own samples, so I need to wait until I review the 'modified sounds'.

Edit

Drum Kits

I thought it fair to include drum kits separately (although they are technically just part of the PCM sample set). The reason being, when compared to the other sounds I thought they were eminently more usable. Maybe not great, and some hits are better than others, but in the context of things - and given my understanding they they are not multi-sampled - they otherwise appear to be a highlight of the unmodified sound set. Having said that I feel they are more suited to electronic styles regardless of the 'kit' selected.

Essentially I feel I could happily jam along to the drums without the 'distraction' that I feel when using the other presets.

Interface - First Impressions

I think it's reasonable to state how I initially find the interface Vs after some time and maybe after long term use.

I am no expert, but am reasonably conversant with instrument interfaces. One thing I can say for certain is that I know what a truly bad one is like (e.g. Yamaha A3000 sampler). I probably havent met an interface that I could truly call perfect, and of course what would be perfect for me would likely not be perfect for most others.

I have previously read the manual and watched tutorials and workshops, but unless doing those things with the board in front of you they did little more than give me an ever so slight advantage in 'guessing' what I am looking for.

With the complexity and quirkiness that this keyboard provides, the little LCD was always going to be challenged when it comes to providing adequate clues to what is going on inside. Equally, whilst the controls do, in their own way, what you would expect them to do, one really has little idea of the state of play by just looking at the board at any given time. In combination though, the controls and LCD - that appears to update with every pertinent control movement - make me feel that it will not take 'too long' to be come reasonably familiar with the interface.

Sample Looper

I think the following will become a bit of a theme in relation to the Sample based elements of the G1. And that is that I feel there is not enough memory.

The sample looper is a cool little feature but it is so handicapped by the recording time available. Of course I realise Casio could have provided 10 times the memory and some people would still be unhappy, but I feel this misses the point. There is a 'real' limitation here, and given that sampling is the G1's raison d'etre I feel it is almost inexcusable to have such limited sampling time. I also realise the cost would increase with increased memory, but I am quite sure I would have remained interested if the cost of double the memory were factored in (especially if the the extra memory were provided 'at cost' - which I realise if a difficult argument, but I think in the grand scheme of things it would make sense).

However, I am nonetheless left to assess the sample looper based upon the memory provided.

Despite my opening shots (and acknowledging that a similar point of view is likely to be repeated with regard to the other sampling functions) I still find the sample looper to be a fun, if rather limited, bonus feature. For jamming and quick sketchpad ideas it can be a useful tool - provided your progression is brief - and I have found myself spending quite a bit of time with it, although it must be said that a lot of this time was taken up by repeated attempts to record something that fit within the loopers meagre allowances.

I am going to try and be as positive about the function as I can here and say that if you consider it a sort of hidden extra, then it is much much better to have than not have. Of course it isnt hidden, as there are additional buttons provided for this feature, and for any meaningful sampling time one must use a low mono sample rate. But IF you manage to convince yourself that it is a hidden extra, then it's a fun little thing that our P1 brethren may - if only at a low level, and for a brief time -  may acknowledge to be a usable differentiator between the two boards (though of course not a primary one).

Arpeggiator - Preset Patterns and Sounds

This section has made me realise that assessing sections separately based upon presets and user modifications is perhaps a little unfair. I will stick with this approach given this is how I have started, but I do admit the potential for unfair negativity.

This is because as good as I think the arpeggiator is, with the preset arpeggiations and tones there is definitely room for improvement. I am coming from a limited background of arps in general. I have a fair bit of gear. but nothing that gives me much in the way of live arpeggiations. Many years ago, a friend in a band I was in had a CS1X (at least I 'think' that was the board - could be wrong) and it had some quite fantastical arps in it. However, this could probably be attributed in part (and possibly a large part) to the sounds employed on the board. In addition, I am pretty sure the arpeggiator was not programmable. So whilst I like the one on the G1 out of the box, it didnt quite impress me as much as I recall being impressed by the Yamaha...... but without having programmed any of my own patches on the Casio, and taking into account the fact that the arps are also programmable here as well, it is quite possible that the G1 may exceed my own recollection of the Yamaha board overall.

Having said that, even with the presets I again had a lot of fun. some are a little cheesy and make me feel like the 1980's home keyboard department have a standing requirement to sprinkle some 'classic Casio auto accompaniment fairy dust' on every element of the XW's that they can. But regardless, anyone experiencing a keyboard arpeggiator for the first time will still find plenty to like here.

Perhaps I shouldn't get too excited about the additional potential of this section, but I am looking forward to playing with and reporting upon this section once I get into some serious programming.

Phrase Sequencer

I think it's going to be a while before I am particularly proficient with this, and many other, areas of the board, however I think I have dabbled enough to give an opinion.

So far this has been amongst the most fun and most usable of the 'feature' items of the board. As well as the really handy key play / transposition aspect, I have found it to be a great little sketchpad where I can capture quick ideas and not have to fire up a sequencer to do so.

There isn't a great deal to add other than to say it really does hit it's mark with what one could expect from it.

I guess the only downside (and this really is more a question of familiarity, and of course applies to the other areas I mention) is when it is used when the arpeggiator is also active. More specifically, if you have everything running (step sequencer, arpeggiator, and phrase sequencer) it can be a little confusing as to what takes precedence where. I reiterate though, that this is more a familiarity issue than a genuine gripe.

Data Editor

As with the 'phrase sequencer' above, I am not in a position to call myself an expert with the editor as yet, although I have run through the vast majority of what it can do.

I really like it. When I looked at screenshots (I didn't download it before I used my board) it looked a little simple and childlike, but in practice it seems very well implemented. As per Mr Andertons review, it really does allow one to understand how the architecture hangs together, and as a result provides very quick and clear access to the parameters you want to tweak.

In some - quite obvious - ways, it provides features above and beyond the what is offered on the board, such as the wave and phrase conversion. But I do find myself (perhaps over optimistically) wishing that it went a little further. An option to see multiple parameter pages on one screen would be my main request, but I'd have also liked better sample manipulation, bigger drop downs lists (or ones that remembered when they were previously enlarged), a slightly more blatant indication of edited parameters, a page/tab of assignable controllers such that you could create a custom interface (this would be extra extra good for people with touch screen monitors, though I am not one of those people). And whilst I am in the land of fantasy, step, phrase and arpeggio editors. It would also be very very handy to manipulate the envelopes via the nodes on the graphics.

There were a few more things I wished for as I went through the features (one could argue how important can they be if I cant remember them) but the reality is that the Editor is still a great little add-on and I would much much rather have it as it is than not at all.

Many people have grown up editing multiple parameters through tiny screens, but to be fair, the XW's on board interface isn't too shabby (once you become accustomed to it). But for those that hate menu diving, the editor is a great alternative. Even for those that prefer on board editing I still believe using the interface encourages some extra tweaking that the normal interface may have you thinking 'I cant be bothered'. Also, at this stage of ownership there are a few parameters that keep forgetting where to find them. Not all of these are on the Editor but those that are are quite logically located and easy to find. I should probably state though, that there is still a small learning curve with the Editor as well, but as the various tabs are clear for all to see, it doesn't take too long to look around and see where everything is located.

I haven't even started to properly create my own sounds yet, but have just been having fun playing with some presets and downloaded tones, but I am confident in offering a big thumbs up to the editor already.

Solo Synth Controllers

I am going to give this one it's own section as it is after all a differentiating point between the G1 and it's more socially outgoing Hex touting brother, the P1.

I remain confused regarding this aspect. whilst I perhaps should not be committing my views to text on that basis, I have been confused for a while and I am not sure my position has changed, nor is it likely to.

I love the ability to tweak sounds, and as much as I do not venture too much into the completely bizarre (as I find many sounds that come across as quite fantastical initially, are ultimately quite unusable), but 'fairly weird', and 'quite unusual' are areas I often stroll though. I really thought I was going to have a fantastic time with these 'live' controllers.

I have no doubt that IF you became completely familiar with each of the 28 or so controllers (no.. lets say 30 including the mod wheels) these would be a complete hoot. But that is a lot of controllers to remember. Now I am not bemoaning the number of controllers (indeed I'd take more if they were offered) but a number of factors mean that - in my opinion - it is very hard to use them for much more than 'random' variations. Of course there are plenty that are happy with random variation, and for those people I would say the G1 has a lot to offer you.

However, if you consider that the majority of these controllers are multi function (i.e. the faders and the three parameter banks) plus the fact that the majority of the parameters are going to effect the sound either more or less significantly depending upon how the sound is designed. (for example, 'volume' will have an obvious impact, but LFO rise will depend upon the other LFO parameters set) I find it hard to see how these can be used as a predictable live tool.

I find myself wishing that I could remap the sliders (maybe I can ??????) so that I have the ones I want the most in one bank and can 'learn; that set first. But even then this hypothetical scenario would men that I would not have correctly labeled faders, although this could be resolved with some masking tape). Without this, and using all the 'banks' you have the real issue of jumping parameters (and not knowing where you start from) plus the really overly short throw to work with in the first place. Other (more expensive) boards get through similar problems with continuous encoders, per controller LED's, and sometimes per controller displays. Would I expect such luxuries on the G1. No. Not at all. But that does not detract from the limitations these constraints introduce i.e. they are very real even if they are, to some degree, understandable.

Of course, having all the options provided does not mean you HAVE TO use them all, and with that in mind one could enjoy some increased flexibility by limiting the parameters you manipulate, making it a bit easier to predict your results. Over time - I admit - you may become proficient enough to increase the number of controls you can use instinctively. Equally, for a non live situations e.g sound creation, one has more time to select, reflect upon and, if necessary, correct ones changes, and the controls are a welcome addition in such scenarios.

I also utilised them with the step sequencer having selected a solo synth tone for my bass (which I, for some reason, had a bit of trouble achieving initially). In this case, I was less put off by the problem of 'randomness' and once again found an area where it was vastly better to have the controls than not to - even though it would be better again if the outcomes were more predictable.

Overall then I have to say that I was at least a little bit disappointed with the 'extra Solo Synth control' provided by the G1, though this disappointment was tempered by the realization that any meaningful improvement would likely be prohibitively expensive. Perhaps more accurately then, given that I wouldn't want these taken away, it may be more correct to say 'Contently disappointed'.

PCM Modified Tones

My disappointment in this area remains. There really is a very limited amount one can do with the PCM tones. I guess there may be some units out there with even less flexibility (though nothing that I recall using, particularly branded as a 'synth').  Sometimes it would seem what you can do is enough to lift the tone adequately, and to be clear, there are a percentage of tones -with tweaking - that I would consider sufficient for any given project, but generously, less than half (To clarify, I feel that I could probably find somewhere under 50 percent of the tones I need for a project based upon the PCM sounds BUT having auditioned the PCM presets, the number I would want to use from the total available would be much less than that) . So in terms of modified PCM tones the phrase "you cant polish a **** " comes to mind.

I certainly accept that certain genres are better catered for, but in my opinion all genres often contain a string or brass or some keys that need to sound at least reasonably crisp and organic. I read somewhere that the PCM tones in the xw come from something like the WK-7500 which whilst seemingly a "budget" board itself, is not a dirt cheap unit, so I really would have hoped for a little more here.

Again, this is a personal view, and if you believe these tones are better than I am portraying them, then I am honestly happy for you. Personally, I am happy to use the internal tones as a sketchpad (and, of course, utilise those tones that 'cut it' but I will be using external boards/modules for the majority of tones in any 'final' mixes. **

Once again though, as disappointed as I may be, this was not my primary reason for purchase so I am a long way from 'buyers remorse' .....................yet.

** I realise I am likely to devalue my own judgment in the eyes of some, however it has been a long time since I have completed many personal projects of original material as for the past few years I have been playing bass at jams and some semi formalised practices (though not really 'bands'). Even for these tests I have been sequencing a few covers. Having said that, I feel I am in a prime demographic for this type of board as I am not an entire novice and enjoy having some depth of programming available, but not really in need of - or able to afford - any further high end gear. So I feel my opinion is adequately valid.

• Like 1

There are synths out there you "get" instantly because it just does it. I didn't get it either with the G1 so I've kept fiddling with it as it was the third synth I've have.

Didn't know at first where to go to or anything I just love fiddling with synths just delving thankful the G1 has sample looper a way to give some focal point anything ... well in my own sense of music making.  A year plus few months something got together sound wise at that point I started to get some of my other synths lots of reading on the forum and the web if youtube was a collection of VHS tapes they would be spend and I would be on my seventh VCR player.

I guess pro user wouldn't want to fiddle this long as a novice like me does gladly it has so much parameter getting used to them gave me something.

Not happy with certain design decisions like separating tone editing with performance should have been one thing or at least a level of ADSR setting

within performance.

alas PCM could have been better or interesting, luckily some of the interesting part I got on the way fiddling.

love to see you're coverage of the performance part and its ummm..how its...its a center of this synth and it makes some  pretty sounds :)      

Thanks for the comment XWAddict.

To be honest, I realise that in many ways the G1 (and sister) are a little old hat now, so I didn't really expect a 'review' of the G1 at this stage in it's life to be of much interest, however I thought it would be nice for myself at least to formulate my thoughts and reflect on them further down the line. Nonetheless, It is nice that you found it of adequate interest to comment.

I agree with the little irritations that you have noted - or not so little at times. I always try to appreciate the numerous positives of this board, and I tell myself that a lot of the annoying things that I keep finding are a small price to pay for the associated functions the G1 brings. But I do find myself asking how Casio 'test' these boards. I get a distinct feeling that they essentially run through a 'checklist', rather than gety any extensive field testing of the deeper functions, as some 'quirks' just have me baffled.

Then again, this is why I am writing this review over an extended period as I feel confident that some of these issues may dissipate with familiarity (hmmmm.. I guess the opposite could also be true).

With the wife's permissions I have just had a couple of weeks where I spent most of my spare time with the G1 working through the manuals and repeat viewings of the Mike Martin videos, however I sadly need to get back on to the chore list, so the rest of this 'diary' may be a little slower in coming. With that in mind I should apologise as, for obvious reasons, performance mode is likely to be towards the end... sorry  :mellow:

Actually, I may have misread the issue about tone edits in a performance, and now I am unsure I was aware of that limitation (although, as stated, I haven't spent a huge amount of time exploring performances as yet). Still, I am curious...... It may be a late night !!!!

Late nighters fun tho but they shorten the day :D , I have one thing to add from my perspective though. The time I've spend with it I've found a great deal can be solved programming hence lays the limitation of filing all separate parts Tones, Samples, DrmKits , DSP, Performance , Solosynth, Step sequencer. I would have one all-file for one specific musical performance which is better maintainable instead of several music performances within one all-file which to hard to maintain and eats storage on the synth. 

Once you're there finding out you know what I'm talking about.