Controlling "Touch Response" voicing in Garageband's Virtual Instruments

steviemac10

Hi...Old dog here, trying to learn new tricks. Hooked up my XW to my Macbook to use as a virtual instrument keyboard controller for recording in Garageband via USB.  I am able to play/record the virtual instruments, but I am not able to figure out how to get "expression" from my playing.  By this I mean that all the notes and chords played are at one volume, regardless of how hard/soft I strike the XW keyboard.  Are there settings within the XW that I need to "activate" to allow for velocity control within Garageband?  

I am not being lazy here.  I have searched YouTube, Keyboard Forums, Midi Forums, etc, till I'm mentally drained from info overload. Maybe I'm not using the right Keywords in my searches.   I am new to Midi/DAW and it is a bit overwhelming at times.  I have a small iRig Key Pro that seems to allow for velocity/expression control right out of the box, but it is small and I mainly use it on my iPad Air for quick recording away from home.

Does any of this make sense?  I hope so.  Any information provided would be greatly appreciated.  

On a side note, I love gigging live with the XW.  My primary board is the Korg SV-1, but my band has been playing some smaller venues recently where "real estate" is at a premium.  I get a pretty impressive sound from the XW in a very small footprint with easier portability.  Very happy with my purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Try enabling NRPN out and any other MIDI parameters on the XW that you might find.

On my Linux PC using Cakewalk under WINE I have no trouble recording velocity info from my XW-P1.

Also check in your Garageband options if there are any velocity checkboxes you may have missed.

Gary ;)