Video Files on Forum ×

CGP-700 New user, love it! 3 Initial Questions

phases

Hey all! New to the community and new to piano/keyboard. Long story short, wife and I were deciding what to do once we won the 1.5billion powerball and never had to work again, what would we do - and we both landed on dabbling around with music. Laying in bed later that night when our dreams were dashed we thought - well why not. Why not get a little something and see if we can have any fun in between all our adulting? Perhaps inspire our almost 5 year old while we're at it. 

So, we got the CGP-700 last night.

It's a lot of fun. I have figured out several things by googling and watching youtube videos but there are a few things I can't figure out. Any help appreciated!

1) Midi recording. So I have figured out how to record on the channels, the 16 or however many, and layer them. So, I have three or four different layers at the moment with different beats/tunes etc, and I can play them on a loop .. "A-B Repeat", set my A and B points to measures 1 - 7 (because for some reason i have 5 more measures of silence), and it repeats. It's nice, and while it is playing I can play a little melody with it with the keyboard.

Problem is, I can't figure out how to have it loop indefinitely and let me play on the keyboard like I just described, AND record. So, turn the 7 measures into 14 or 21, same 7 repeating 3 times, while it records what i'm playing and extending the total measures by repeating the 3 or so existing layers I have and adding what I've played along with it as a new layer. (or channel sorry)

Does it not work this way, how would I accomplish this? It just seems to me that people might not know how long they want something to loop or play when they first record something, it might come as inspiration hits later that it needs to repeat. Software on a computer or, am I missing something?

2) Mixer - when I go to the mixer I can adjust volume, pan, etc for each of the channels. Its great, but, soon as the loop starts over or I hit play again, they all reset and changes are lost.  I can only do it real time. Are you not able to use the mixer controls and save what you've done on the track? It doesn't make sense to me if you can only do it real time, I'm not sure I see the use?

3) I haven't tried anything at all so its not that I can't yet figure it out but, haven't the media yet to try so I thought I might ask while I'm here. Say I was satisfied with my little ditty - how might I take the whole User1 .. song... and move it over to a computer or something to share?

Hope all this makes sense. I've only spent probably 2 hours total on it so, bear with me! 

hi phases,

i'm a happy owner of a px-360 which i like a lot and is pretty similar to your cgp-700.

can't tell anything about bullet #1, but bullet #2 is a duplicate of this thread

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/8571-adjusted-parameters-for-port-c-reset-upon-start-of-midi-playback/

which unluckily is annoying me and even some other user of the costlier px-560

about your bullet #3 it's pretty easy to start the audio recorder in record mode and then you can start your midi recorder in playback mode to record a wave file that you can easily convert into mp3 and post to your favorite social. sounds hard, but it's pretty straightforward.

fred

Thanks for the reply fred,

#1 I can load into LMMS and copy what I have over tow or three times but, then I can't export back to MID like I had expected, so. :(

#2 Well dang!

#3 That sounds great, thanks! I also was able to simply export to USB and bring to the comp to bring into LMMS and export as wav, very easy.