Video Files on Forum ×

Trouble with Function Button

seevee

All,

Having trouble getting the function button to work for the following things: (page E21, in the manual)

Changing the Tempo

It says hold the Function key and press the Tempo + or - which would be two Cs below middle C and it's 

sharp. Nothing happens. Also, could select three of the tempo keys (two below middle D to one below

middle C, like 120 which would be normal) nothing happens.

Changing the tone

Assume that's what they call "tuning" PE24, second box from top. Have no clue how this works

And most of the other parameters, but not important at this time.

Thanks for your help.

The audio recorder tempo and playback cannot be changed.  The metronome and song recorder can be changed.  

Also, Casio uses the term "tone" to identify the instrument sounds like piano, strings, organ, etc.  Selecting a tone is on page E-5. 

Thanks Brad,

I know the tempo (speed of the song) can be changed, I've done it. Also, believe that the tone, meaning the pitch of the note can be changes (but could be wrong), the manual clearly says it can... that is to change the pitch of the whole piano to match another musical instrument, but not a killer deal for me. 

The tempo thing is driving me nuts. I've done it before, but can't duplicate it consistently. 

Thanks much.

Forgive me if I am repeating what you already know.

Like many of the Privias, including the 850 and my 350, these have 2 entirely distinct methods for recording-the "audio recorder" and the "song recorder".  As Brad has mentioned the "tone" in Casio-speak is the sound you select to record into the piano-organ, electric piano acoustic etc. Now here's the part that may be confusing.

The Casios use the "audio recorder" to record exactly that-audio from within the Casio as would any other kind of audio recorder connected to the Privia audio outputs and recorded to any audio recorder-CD, tape, hard disk etc. These recordings are saved as .wav files within the Privia which can be played by any computer that recognizes and can play a .wav file-this is a standard Microsoft Windows format for sound and can be edited by many software editors such as Audacity, Goldwave or others. You would have to copy these .wav files from the Privia's USB drive to your computer to edit these, but since this is an audio file, you cannot change the tempo of this performance recorded with the Casio alone.

The tempo settings, input by the keyboard keys are used by songs recorded using the "song recorder" and the song recorder button. This becomes purely digital data, as are the pre-recorded songs already in the Privia-the demo tracks have been created with digital data, not audio data. If you record your keyboard performance using the "song recorder" button-not the "audio recorder" button, you will be able to set the tempo for that. However, I see a limitation which is not clear to me either. From what i have read in the manual, I think you must "arm" the song recorder by pushing it 2-3 times-until it's red light is flashing-then while in this mode, record standby mode-you must set the tempo using the keyboard commands-pushing the respective keys labeled with the numbers. You must also, while in this standby mode-select whatever "tone" you want to record. Then and only then do you start recording by pressing the play button. since this will be digital data, the settings for your tempo and tone will be recorded.

What isn't clear to me is whether the tempo can be changed after you record your track, using the same key presses or the + - keys. (These only increment one metronome beat faster or slower, you have to input 3 distinct numbers in order to get the exact tempo you want obviously or not so obviously).

As long as you have recorded a "song recorder" track I'm going to say yes, since the pre-recorded demo song tempos can be changed but I don't have the 850 so I can't be certain. According to page E-21 in the manual, you should be able to change the playback tempo using the keys. Make sure you "hold" the "function" key down until you finish inputting all 3 numbers for a tempo setting- 0 6 3 for 63 etc. and don't release it until you get the confirmation beep. And-here is the worst part I think which may getting you going in loops-since the function button is also the "audio recorder" button-make sure you are not in "audio recorder" mode when you are ready to record a "song recorder" song! Make sure-the "song recorder" button is flashing to be in song recorder mode, otherwise you will be armed to record an "audio recorder" song which will not let you change the tempo. sorry for the long elaborate post, but if you are new to Casiospeak I'm hoping this will solve the problem. If not, post back. I'm not a Casio tech, just another Casiospeaker.