Having the Casio Sounds play on Garageband.

rozdelarosa

I have a Casio WK-225.

I successfully connected it to my iPad Mini and I'm able to use my Keyboard to play the sounds in Garageband.

Thanks to help on this forum, I can successfully turn OFF the Local Keyboard and I hear the sounds on GarageBand.

Now, I want to do the OPPOSITE.  I want to turn ON the Local Keyboard and I want the Sounds from my Casio to go into GarageBand.

The reason I want to do this is because I like the sounds that came with the Casio over the options in Garageband (for some songs).

How do I do this ?

Roz

Whatever interface/cable setup you decide on, keep this point in mind.  Once you connect audio from the WK-225 to the iPad Mini via the interface unit, you will not be able to loop the audio output from the iPad Mini back into the WK-225's Audio In jack in order to use its sound circuits to amplify the iPad Mini's output.  If you do this, you will cause a horrendous audio feedback loop that could damage the audio circuits in the WK-225 or the iPad Mini or both.  Once you connect audio from the WK-225 into the iPad Mini, you will have to connect its audio output to either headphones or a separate amplifier.speaker system.  Now, once you have recorded the WK-225's output with Garageband and disconnect the audio interface, you can then connect the Ipad Mini's audio out to the WK-225's Audio In and play it back through the WK-225's sound system and speakers.  You just can not do this when the audio interface is connected for the reason I mention above.  AND . . . YES . . . The WK-225's Audio In jack is stereo.

Also, the WK-225 only has a "Phones" output jack, which is very high level compared to the "Line Out" jacks on boards that are equipped with them, so you will need to keep the WK-225's master volume control at a very low level in order to keep from overdriving the interface's input and causing distortion.

The iPad Mini's phones jack also does double duty as a Mic In jack, so you will need an audio interface that uses the iPad Mini's data/charge port.  If you get the type that connects to the iPad Mini's Mic In jack, then that jack will not be available as an audio output.  Here is one that looks good and is reasonably priced, but you would need to check with the Griffin folks to ensure that it is compatible with the iPad Mini:

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-StudioConnect-Audio-MIDI-Interface/dp/B007BR5PWI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1453281242&sr=8-2&keywords=ipad+audio+interface

Good luck with this !

Regards,

Ted

Thank you very much tnicoson and Scott.

The information is very helpful.  

Tnicoson,

For the last few weeks, I've had the audio JACK output connected to computer speakers on my iPad Mini.  I chose to do that as oppose to routing the sounds back to my keyboard...It just sounds better.

I've ordered the iRIG 2.  I play guitar/bass/keyboards.  I know that iRIG 2 is meant for guitar, but I don't see why it would not work with my keyboard.

I STILL HAVE AN OPEN QUESTION:

When I'm in Garageband and I have my guitar/keyboard going through the audio interface (iRig 2), I know I can select an Amplifier for the Guitar.  Should I do the same for Keyboard ?

After further review of iPad Mini photos, I was able to determine that the Griffin device mentioned in my previous reply is not compatible with the iPad Mini, as it requires the wide data/charge port of the full sized iPad, while the iPad Mini uses the smaller Lightning port.  I was originally going to recommend the iRig2, but did not, for two reasons. One, it is basically a guitar device - meaning it is mono - while your keyboard is stereo.  Your keyboard's output will definitely sound different when played through a mono device.   Many of the accompaniment rhythm instruments are panned to different locations in the stereo field.  You will lose those dynamics when playing through a mono device, not to mention that most of the keyboard's main voices (sounds) were sampled in stereo.  Those, too, will sound different through a mono system, but what is most important is how they sound to you.  When recording a stereo signal through a mono device, there can be some cancellation (sometimes severe) of parts of the stereo signal.  Secondly, guitar sound devices typically have a much narrower sound spectrum than that of a keyboard, so keyboards usually do not sound good through a guitar sound system.  However, the iRig2 specs state a 20 cps to 20,000 cps bandwidth, which is the bandwidth of a keyboard, so there should be no problem there.  Your problem will be with Garageband.  If you can avoid going through a guitar/amp model, do so, but if your are forced to make a guitar/amp model selection, try to select something with the widest bandwidth possible.

As for now, I think you are headed exactly down the right path.  You have already ordered the iRig2 for your guitar, so you can not go wrong there.  Just hang on until you get it and try your keyboard through it.  If it sounds OK to you, then you are done.  If not, then you can start looking for something for the keyboard at that time.  It's really too bad the iRig folks don't make a device for stereo keyboards.

As I said in my previous reply - good luck with this.  I know you will like the iRig2 for your guitar.  I hope it works out as well for your keyboard.  To help us make future recommendations for other members, please give us a feedback on your thoughts after you use it for a bit.  Thanks !

Regards,

Ted

After further review of iPad Mini photos, I was able to determine that the Griffin device mentioned in my previous reply is not compatible with the iPad Mini, as it requires the wide data/charge port of the full sized iPad, while the iPad Mini uses the smaller Lightning port.  

I have that Griffin with a Mini Works fine - you just need a 30 pin to Lightning adapter. For the price you can't beat it. I bought mine for $30 and thought I got a steal.. now at $18 I may buy on just to have an extra. :)  BTW -  They  (Gtiffin) also makes one with a straight up Lightning Connector, but it's much more expensive,

Thanks for that info, Scott.  That will give Roz something else to consider if he decides he doesn't like what the iRig2 does to his keyboard output.  I am starting to consider something like that for myself, but I have the full size iPad-3, so I will probably opt for the Griffin as well.  I like that charging stand design.  I am like you.  I can't believe the price on that thing.