Video Files on Forum ×

sustain pedal problems with my new wk-245

Squanchy

So I've messed around with the pedal settings and the sustain is behaving very strangely. When it's set to SUS it behaves exactly opposite to how it should... When the pedal is not depressed every note is sustained, and depressing it stops that. I've tried setting it to SoS but if that's working properly, I really don't like it. It basically sustains whatever keys I have depressed when I press the pedal, and even after letting go those keys will continue to sustain forever until I press the pedal again. Any help would be really appreciated.

I'm not familiar with that particular model, but many Casios now auto-detect the way the pedal works on startup, whether it is normally open or normally closed. So be sure to have the pedal plugged in when you start the WK, and don't touch it until the startup sequence is complete.

If that doesn't fix it, was the pedal one that came in the box with the keyboard? You may need the other type. Or if there is a switch on the pedal, switch it. (Note that people will often refer to the type of pedal as "polarity" but that's not technically correct.)

Thanks for the response. I've tried everything and it still does the exact opposite of what it should. I actually don't know what brand the pedal is, and it's probably 9 years old. I wouldn't have posted anything if it just didn't work, as that's what I was expecting. But the sensor works perfectly... that's what's so confusing to me. Even on the screen on the keyboard the Ped. indicator is lit up when I'm not pressing it, and goes away when I do press it. If it's just incompatible in some odd way that's fine, I just wondered if this was maybe a problem with the keyboard that's been reported before.

It's just a switch.

Casio pedals along with Korg and Kurzweil and M-Audio and Waldorf and most others use a Normally Open Switch.

Yamaha and Roland pedals use a Normally Closed Switch.

They are not usually interchangeable with each other.

They do sell Universal pedals with a switch to change the "polarity" of the pedal. (Yes it's not precise but it is an industry standard term)

If your pedal has a little slider switch on the bottom or side flip it the other way.

Otherwise, if it's a Roland or Yamaha pedal it's useless on a Casio.

I've never seen a Casio keyboard with a pedal sensing feature.

Easiest way to check for sure is to put an ohmmeter across the plug terminals.  If it reads zero ohms with the pedal unpressed then it is useless to you and is a normally closed switch.

Usable pedals with the Casios include Casio's own and the one I highly recommend is the SP-2 from M-Audio.  The M-Audio is a switchable universal type and works with ANY keyboard.

They're very reasonably priced and they're built like a tank.

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Universal-Sustain-Electronic-Keyboards/dp/B00063678K

I own several of these myself and have yet to have a problem with any of them.

Gary ;)

Alright you guys definitely figured it out haha. I used to use it on a Yamaha, I never imagined they'd be incompatible in such an odd way. I figured if it worked at all it'd probably be fine, but I guess not :P Thanks a lot for the help. It's so cheesy looking/feeling I was going to have to replace it anyway, and that SP-2 looks perfect. Thanks again guys.