Video Files on Forum ×

About Casio XW-G1

Musella

Hello and happy new year 2016 ! 

I plan to buy a Casio WX-G1 but I have some questions that are not mentioned in the User's Manual. 

I read that it's possible to record  samples (maximum 19 seconds, from another electronic instrument or a dynamic microphone).

For example, I record "Happy New Year" with my microphone.  

The questions : 

1°/ Is it possible to use this sample as an instrument (tone or performance, I don't know the exact term) and make it tune with the WX-G1 played notes ? 

If YES,  using a sample record in a SD card ?

And tweaking OSC, filters, decay... to apply effects ? 

(I've seen it's possible to speak in a micro and change pitch by playing keyboard. Not exactly a vocoder but similar...

A video shows this example : " I am Ralph and I do synth"

2°/ Can I record the result ? 

3°/ Is it possible to record a complete music (Step sequencer, loops etc...) in SMF (Midi) format (except the samples, of course !) ? 

Thanks a lot for your help. 

Xavier-Joseph from Reunion Island

Hi Xavier-Joseph,

1. Yes you can map a sample across the keyboard and play it. It will appropriately pitch shift the sample which can be voice, an acoustic instrument or any sound at all; even an exploding television or burning piano. Even though the G1 has fewer inbuilt waves compared to other boards, this feature gives it great expandability.

You have to load the sample into sample memory and edit it. You can edit cutoff, pitch and amp envelop, key ranges, and apply DSP effects. Samples can be loaded via SD card or USB from computer. You can't play a sound file directly from an SD card. It has to be loaded first which can take a few seconds.

2. To record the output you have to record the audio from the line outs into an external recorder, e.g., computer, as you would with any other keyboard. There is no dedicated recording facility as such. It doesn't digitally record to card. You can record what you play into the looper and save that as a sample or to card, but its 19 seconds max.

3. see 2. You can record everything you hear from the line outs.

Hi, 

Thanks so much for your answer. 

I think it's more clear ! 

So, you can blow in a bottle, record the sound and play it as an instrument. 
Record another sample with a sound of a wooden stick beating a bottle and using as another instrument. 

All the samples cannot exceed 19 seconds because it is the limitation of the internal memory. 

All these functions are very exciting... 

Next month I'll receive my XW-G1 and think it'll be crazy to play with it ! 

Last question : 

I use Cubase... and to call directly tone with Cubase, I have to do a Patch Script. 

I've download the tone list. 

There is the MSB, the Program Change but I cannot see the LSB ! 

Where can I find it ? 

Ok, thanks. 

I've seen a file .ins for Cakewalk. I've downloaded it. I'm going to open it and try to search how to adapt the informations for Cubase. 

I'm  used to work with Patch Script because you just open the list, choose the tone and play it in the midi track. 

Now, perharps, the XW-G1 internal architecture may differ from other midi instruments and my vision is a little false. The XW-G1 seems to be very polyvalent and so many foolish ! 

I plan to buy also a XW-P1 in March. Just to have the brother and because of the hexLayer ! 

I'm not rich but I love synthesizers where you can let your imagination drives your creativity. 

So, thanks Casio to built such instruments ! 

I've seen another time some videos... 

In the case of "I'm Ralph and I do Synth", first, it's not the XW-G1 that plays but the Ipad. Correct ? 

After, he reccords the sample and play it on the synth. Correct ?

So, is it possible to reccord a song on a mp3 player, Ipad, Micro H1 Zoom etc... and change the pitch during it's playing ? 

If I can change the pitch (as a vocoder do) of my voice with a mic, it'd be possible, no ? 

So, it's not exactly a sample but I can have some original effects on a recorded track. Correct ? 

Sorry if my question seems to be stupid, but, I've not yet the XW-G1... only next month   :(

sorry for my english, I'm french