Video Files on Forum ×

Wk-240 hookup to ipad

I have bought cables and hooked up my ipad to a casio WK-240 with the intent of playing Garage Band instruments through my casio keyboard. I have entered the MIDi setting on the casio and turned Local setting to off but the only instruments I can hear through my casio speakers is the Garage Band instruments played on my ipad. the keys on my casio keyboard will not play the Garage Band instruments. What am I missing? Any suggestions?

What model of iPad are you connecting to ?  Do you have one of the older models with the wide 30 pin docking/charge port, or one of the newer models with the narrow "Lightning" port ?  Did you purchase an Apple iPad "Camera Connection Kit" or one of the third party interface kits ?

In the keyboard's MIDI setup menu, whether you choose LocalCtrl ON/OFF, or AccompOut ON/OFF, just determines how you will use the keyboard, but does not affect basic connectivity, which you do not appear to have.  In that same menu, the KeyboardCh and Navi. Ch settings do not seem to have any effect on Garageband, but I leave them on their default settings of 01 and 04, respectively.

With my iPad-3 and WK-225, there is a definite problem getting enough level, so I have to run the iPad's audio output at maximum, the WK-225's MIC-IN (Yes !  It controls the WK-225's Audio In, also.) at maximum, and the WK-225's master volume at about 75% (about the 3 o'clock position).  With this set up, I get a lot of "hash" from the iPad sounds, but not from the WK-225's internal sounds.  Thinking I was over-driving the WK-225's Audio In, I backed the levels off, but the hash was still there.  When I used the WK-7000 in this set up, instead of the WK-225, I did not get the hash, so it is not an iPad or app problem.  Now, when I USB connected the WK-225 to the iPad, and connected the iPad's audio out to the WK-7000's Audio In, in other words, I am keying Garageband with the WK-225 and amplifying the audio out with the WK-7000 internal amplifiers and speakers, I DO NOT GET the hash.  Likewise, when I go the other way around, when I key Garageband with the WK-7000 and amplify the audio out with the WK-225's internal amplifiers and speakers, I DO NOT GET the hash.  I only get the hash when the iPad is connected to both the WK-225's USB port and Audio In.  I have read on other forums about certain models of other brands experiencing the same thing.  It seldom affects all models of a brand, just certain ones.  In my case, it appears to be my WK-225 that is affected, none of my other Casio's.  If you experience the same situation with your WK-240, you may want to get a set of powered monitors or separate computer speakers (similar to the old Logitech X-140's) to amplify the iPad's audio out.  I wish you all the best in getting this up and running, as Garageband, and many other apps, make wonderful additions to the WK-2XX voice (tone) palettes.  If you continue to have connectivity problems, you may want to invest $1.99 (USD) in the MIDI Test-R app for further trouble shooting.  It serves a similar purpose as MIDI-OX on the PC and MAC, and is invaluable for trouble-shooting MIDI connectivity problems.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted