Playback csr file recordings on windows 8

CatchaMelody

Hello, I have a PX-330 Piano and I wanted to post recordings on Youtube. When I moved the recorded csr file from my piano to my windows 8 computer i was unable to play back the recording with my DAW program, Reaper; or any other program on my computer. Is there a PX-330 driver available for windows 8 or is there another way I can transfer and playback csr recordings with windows 8?

Hello CatchaMelody. Scott is right, the .CSR format is a "proprietary" Casio file format. Just a few points of clarification. A .CSR file is data, not audio. In this respect it is the same as a .mid or other strictly "data" music file, which can be of course be opened, played and edited with any decent DAW program. The shame of it is that there is no software program that can play, or convert this .CSR to a standard midi ".mid" file-believe me I've looked!  Would be nice, but I can't locate any. And the PX330 can only record and save your playing in this format from within it's internal memory. You will have to record the audio out in "real time."

Fortunately you have stereo 1/4" output jacks on the PX330 which can go right into a digital recorder with 1/4" inputs if you have one. Since you want to render these strictly on a computer, you will need as Scott said, some kind of interface to connect the audio out of the PX330 to the computer audio input, which is typically only a small 1/8" stereo jack, next to the headphone jack usually. You could get an appropriate audio adapter cable and record audio directly into the computer with this or some similar audio cable setup:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GLS-Audio-6ft-Y-Cable-Splitter-Cord-1-8-TRS-Stereo-to-1-4-TS-Mono-6-Cable-/121714960988?hash=item1c56c6ea5c:g:F8UAAOSwgQ9VtwF-

Or a better solution would be one of the USB audio boxes for connecting anything requiring 1/4" cables to your computer USB port such as this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tascam-US-122-Audio-Midi-Interface-/262253521776?hash=item3d0f872b70:g:M8wAAOSwKtlWocOt

I'm showing these posts as examples, there are others.The Tascam is particularly nice because it presents several types of inputs and controls, there are certainly other similar such as the Behringers. I'm assuming you have no other recorders that would give you a digital audio file that needs to be a .wav audio file in the Windows world, not sure in the Mac world, I think it's an mp4. You could also use any of the small desktop audio mixers that are available now and connect one of these to your computer's audio input jack using the right adapters. Again, Behringer's makes some very nice small mixers as do several other companies.

Whatever audio you record into the computer in whatever way to connect the PX330, you will also need a software program that will record audio, will recognize your computer's audio source in. If you are on the Windows platform, there is Audacity-a freeware program that will record live audio from your computer's input jack, or whatever you decide to use as an audio interface with your computer. I use Goldwave and Audacity, very similar programs. These save your recording as a .wav file, then can convert these into an mp3 or many other audio format files used in the computer world.

So unfortunately there is no simple solution and sorry for the long post-just in case you did not know any of this-if you did, humbly begging off!

• 4 years later...

I have a Casio PX-760

I have windows 10 on my computer.  I cannot transfer the files that are recorded on my PX-760 digital piano.  I have not been able to record with a USB connection from the piano to the computer.  I am so frustrated.  I have tried Audacity, Ashampoo music studio 8. I am wondering if anyone can suggest an interface between the piano and my computer software.  I am not tech savvy, but if you are specific I can figure it out.  Thanks.

7 hours ago, Metcalfe05 said:

I have a Casio PX-760

I have windows 10 on my computer.  I cannot transfer the files that are recorded on my PX-760 digital piano.  I have not been able to record with a USB connection from the piano to the computer.  I am so frustrated.  I have tried Audacity, Ashampoo music studio 8. I am wondering if anyone can suggest an interface between the piano and my computer software.  I am not tech savvy, but if you are specific I can figure it out.  Thanks.

Okay, we'll take this step by step.  Your best option with the PX-760 is to connect the headphone output of the piano to your computer and use Audacity to record the audio.  Does your computer have a mic/line input jack?  If so, you can use a cable with appropriate plugs to connect.  If not, you'll need an audio interface, all as suggested by Jokeyman above.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Okay, we'll take this step by step.  Your best option with the PX-760 is to connect the headphone output of the piano to your computer and use Audacity to record the audio.  Does your computer have a mic/line input jack?  If so, you can use a cable with appropriate plugs to connect.  If not, you'll need an audio interface, all as suggested by Jokeyman above.

???? Could you describe what your volume level is out the headphones-it is very easy to "overdrive" your input with the headphone jack. and you cannot record 'audio" from a USB connection without a US audio interface. A USB connection from your Casio will only record midi data to your computer-and the appropriate midi recording or "sequencing" software, such as Cakewalk's Bandlab-the free Anvil Studio or several other freeware or purchased software programs designed to record midi data. Study my links (thanks Brad) above and post back if you have more questions. if i record from the headphone output of any of my Casios-I have to keep the volume turned down pretty low if i am connecting that output to the 1/8" input jack of the computer, with the appropriate adapter audio cable. This is where Audacity comes in. If you install it, open it, click "edit" look for "preferences" and click the "audio I/O" tab and you should see this.....

image.png.93f33738f14f93df16d317a42aa27e24.png

This shows you that your computer input jack has been recognized by audacity and you should be able to record your aufio output-not midi data directly into audacity-and you will see your audio sound wave showing as it records it. Keep the keyboard volume about halfway and see how high the audio wave images "peak". these must stay within the window of Audacity-if it is pretty loud but not loud enough to distort it will look like this....

image.thumb.png.1ad4c3d60479eb63598d7751a1d9fbe1.png

if your waves are any 'taller' than this (called amplitude) it will sound distorted. This wave is about as loud as I'd want to see-the highest peaks are at the limits of where they should be.

Let me know if this makes any sense to you, if it is helping, hard to know from this distance! 

• Like 1

And following up on this-all this info is strictly about the audio coming out of your audio jack, not midi. And since some are having trouble getting their keyboards to be recognized by their computers using Windows 10-for recording midi data only-this may be another problem to solve. Much easier to try the audio recording straight to Audacity or something similar-there are other audio only recording software programs-and free or paid. Wavosaur is another I like-pretty complex looking but works well. Another very important detail-you need a stereo audio cable with a 1/8" stereo plug on one end for the computer-and a 1/8" or 1/4" stereo plug on the other for the piano-I don't know what size jack the PX760 has-but easy to get on Amazon or eBay. If you are using a monophonic audio cable-2 conductors on each end, you will not be able to record audio correctly-need to have the 3-connector plugs on each end.