Using the mixer function on wk 7500 keyboard

Guest Bill

I have a song created and recorded on a wk 7500 keyboard. I have found out how to increase the volume of an alto sax solo in this song with the mixer function...but cannot seem to make the increased volume of the solo permanent to put back on my sd card that I saved the song to. Is this possible? I can go into the mixer each time to increase the solo volume but it does not seem to be set to put back on the sd card. I know this may be hard to understand...the manual is really hard to understand. Thanks

When you record a song, the keyboard stores all the settings as they were when you performed the recording, so it is defaulting back to this each time.

To overwrite these settings with the mix that you have created, you need to perform what's called a "Panel Record".

First make the changes that you want (ie change the volume of the solo part using the mixer function)

Then while in Song Sequencer mode, while holding the FUNCTION button, press the MENU button (last button on the right of the registration buttons)

Using the arrow keys, move the cursor down to select PanelRecord

Press ENTER, and YES when asked if you're sure.

Your mixer settings should now stay as you have set them.

If you decide to make further changes to your mix, you will have to perform the Panel Record again to store any new settings.

• Like 2

Wow, thank you so much for the timely response...I will try this...that manual is very hard to understand. If I had not had a wk 500 before this one, I feel I would be really lost!

Is there any way to use all the sliders to control the volume of different channels IN REAL TIME, on the fly? For example, when playing in a live situation, I may want to raise (or lower) the volume of the drum pattern, or a particular part of the background arrangement, or maybe the whole background at once. I hate to see all those sliders just sitting there and not be of use as a mixer while I'm playing on a gig.

Thanks for any help with this!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is there any way to use all the sliders to control the volume of different channels IN REAL TIME, on the fly? For example, when playing in a live situation, I may want to raise (or lower) the volume of the drum pattern, or a particular part of the background arrangement, or maybe the whole background at once. I hate to see all those sliders just sitting there and not be of use as a mixer while I'm playing on a gig.

Thanks for any help with this!

Agree with you SonnyDaye. I use this feature a lot on my WK3300. However, cannot seem to use it at all on CTK7000. I could simply put a channel OFF on WK3300 while playing to add so many special effects.

On WK3300, I could even change the parameter with the mixer and keep playing the chords. On CTK7000, I have to exit the mixer function to play the chords.

I thought the sliders would be great to do all this and add special effects on the fly, but they are really useless.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I too am looking for the mixer to save settings.    When I layer the tones or auto harmonize, the volume jumps up much louder.   The mixer can balance that out with settings but they don't stay set up permanently.   Am I missing something?   I reinitialized the mixer no change.  

BTW, If someone were to write a decent manual, people would buy it!     I know I would....

Vorbis

Are you trying to save your mixer settings as part of a recorded song or to set them for real-time play ?  If you are trying to save them as part of a recorded song, then you need to use the "Panel Record" feature as described by Jared Beaney above in the second entry in this thread.  If you are trying to save them for quick/easy recall as a setup for real-time play, then you need to set up the keyboard with all the settings you want to recall, including the mixer settings and then save it as a registration.  Refer to the section in the manual on registrations.  That will be Pages 66, 67, and 163. if you are asking about the CTK-7000/WK-7500.  In the chart on Page 163, any item with a circle in Column #2 is saved as part of a registration,  The very last section of that chart shows the mixer parameters that are saved as part of a registration.

Good luck !

Vorbis

Are you trying to save your mixer settings as part of a recorded song or to set them for real-time play ?  If you are trying to save them as part of a recorded song, then you need to use the "Panel Record" feature as described by Jared Beaney above in the second entry in this thread.  If you are trying to save them for quick/easy recall as a setup for real-time play, then you need to set up the keyboard with all the settings you want to recall, including the mixer settings and then save it as a registration.  Refer to the section in the manual on registrations.  That will be Pages 66, 67, and 163. if you are asking about the CTK-7000/WK-7500.  In the chart on Page 163, any item with a circle in Column #2 is saved as part of a registration,  The very last section of that chart shows the mixer parameters that are saved as part of a registration.

Good luck !

Yes I was trying to save the mixer in general for real time play with any song.  I moved up to the WK7500 from a CTK900.   Many of these settings just aren't available on the CTK900 but I did like the balanced sound it has.  

Thanks for the response, I'll let you know how that works out for me.  

Josh

Vorbis

Good luck !

Trying to even the loudness when pressing auto harmonize and layer.    With the default setting, the sound volume jumps much louder and stays that way when hitting either Auto Harmonize or  Layer.

I worked with the mixer settings per your suggestion to even out the loudness when using auto harmonize with mixer setting A04.  That worked out well but as you pointed out, that must be saved with each registration.    When trying to balance out the volume when layering is what I'm confused with.    Pg 71 in the WK7500 manual  refers to settings A01-A02 -A03 as upper part 1, upper part 2 and lower part when saved.   It also refers to A05-A07 when recalled from registration.  Is this even what layering is in the registration?   Do you have to set the layering for the various instruments you might chose?   I was hoping for a single global setting but that doesn't appear to be an option.    

Thanks in advance, 

Josh 

Sorry, Josh, but no !  That is the downside of what you are trying to do.  Those setting adjustments must be made on a "per setup" basis - either manually each time you want to use them or by setting each one of them up ahead of time and saving them to a registration.  The global volume setting only goes down to the point of accompaniment volume vs main volume.  It does not go down to the individual voice levels (dual vs split vs harmony vs rhythm voices).  That is considered a mixer function, which you have already discovered, can not be saved globally.  Many of the higher end arranger keyboards DO allow what you are talking about.  On them, when you create a registration, you can determine which items/parameters change when you change voices, rhythms, etc and which items are fixed - a very handy feature.  The closest the CTK/WK's get to this are the Reg Filters which determine whether the accompaniment and/or scalar settings are called up when a reg is selected.  That's pretty coarse (sparse) filtering.  For you - if you are using one of the CTK/WK-7000 series boards, at least you have 16 banks of 6 registrations each for a total of 96, but if you are using one of the 6000 series boards, you only have 8 banks of 4 each for a total of 32.  For what you are trying to do, things could get a bit tight with that figure.  By the way, for future reference, which board do you have ? 

Wish I had some better news for you.  I am not a big reg user, but perhaps another user, who is,  will pop in here and give you some pointers on most efficient setup and use of what regs you do have.

Best of luck !

Sorry, Josh, but no !  That is the downside of what you are trying to do.  Those setting adjustments must be made on a "per setup" basis - either manually each time you want to use them or by setting each one of them up ahead of time and saving them to a registration.  The global volume setting only goes down to the point of accompaniment volume vs main volume.  It does not go down to the individual voice levels (dual vs split vs harmony vs rhythm voices).  That is considered a mixer function, which you have already discovered, can not be saved globally.  Many of the higher end arranger keyboards DO allow what you are talking about.  On them, when you create a registration, you can determine which items/parameters change when you change voices, rhythms, etc and which items are fixed - a very handy feature.  The closest the CTK/WK's get to this are the Reg Filters which determine whether the accompaniment and/or scalar settings are called up when a reg is selected.  That's pretty coarse (sparse) filtering.  For you - if you are using one of the CTK/WK-7000 series boards, at least you have 16 banks of 6 registrations each for a total of 96, but if you are using one of the 6000 series boards, you only have 8 banks of 4 each for a total of 32.  For what you are trying to do, things could get a bit tight with that figure.  By the way, for future reference, which board do you have ? 

Wish I had some better news for you.  I am not a big reg user, but perhaps another user, who is,  will pop in here and give you some pointers on most efficient setup and use of what regs you do have.

Best of luck !

I played with the mixer tonight and I now see what is happening.   The keyboard mixer is giving you flexibility to mix layered instruments to what ever emphasis you want to play layered sounds with.   If you want more emphasis on one instrument, amp it up and turn the other down.   Of course as you point out, the keyboard does have limitations in saving setups.   As you point out the WK7500 does have lots of slots to save registrations.   Of course you'll need a book to reference them when they get filled up.  And no global setup either...

I have a CTK900 that has been a great keyboard.   Played and played hard and everything still works.    It too has the draw bar organ setup and rotary sound, just you can't change it in real time.   I had stored about 12 different set ups with fast rotary sound, slow and off and with different drawbar settings.   Just had to punch in a different set ups which you can do while playing.   It also has DIN Midi ports.

The CTK7000 caught my eye because of the real time drawbar setup.    I wanted to try out the keyboard but no one seemed to stock a CTK7000.

So I went to a Guitar Center, they had a CTK6000 which I wanted to at least try out the Thumbwheel Dial and see if I liked that to begin with.  I know the CTK6000 doesn't have the drawbar organ set up but I would at get to see what the new CTK's are like at least.    I get there and they have a used WK7500 for 1/2 the price of a new WK7500.   Bought it on the spot.    I don't use it for a work station so much of the manual I skipped by.   I use the WK7500 for gigs and solo work.  

I do have a Hammond A143 with a Leslie 145 with a 200 watt tube amp which I used to take to gigs.     Now the Hammond is homebound.   Fact of the matter, she doesn't get played much since getting the Casio's.   The Casio is NOT priced like a Nord or Roland either.  When playing the WK7500 piped into the Leslie it's pretty awesome!    But the Leslie doesn't have the high end to bring out the upper frequency's like a keyboard amp when playing solo.  I'm very satisfied with the WK7500.   Just the manual is so poorly written and indexed.    If they were to make a car and the car manual said to use the cruise control,  depress P-1, Press C4 and release P-1.   Press B2 or C4 to cancel...you get the picture... 

Thanks for your input.

Josh

Hammond A143

Leslie 145

CTK900

WK7500

Yeah, Josh !

I kind of fell into a similar deal on my 7500.  I had just stopped into one of the local Guitar Center stores to order one, because I knew they did not stock them at any of the stores near me.  It turns out this particular store had one that they had been using to demo some high-end VST software product that had not gone over very well, so they had decided to no longer stock it.  That meant they had a 7500 that they no longer needed, so they had put it on the sale rack for half price about an hour before I walked in.  Since it had never been "sold", I got the full "new" warranty,  I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.

That's quite a setup you've got.  There are a lot of guys over on the Yahoo Casio Forum that are piping their 7500's through the Ventilator Leslie sims trying to get a more realistic sound.  They would consider you in B3/Leslie heaven with a "real" one.  Man !  If you used to haul that stuff around to gigs, you must have the physique of a body builder, either that or you wear a pretty hefty back brace.

The registrations you have on your CTK-900, you should be able to come up with pretty much the same thing on the 7500 - just with the added touch of being able to modify them in real time, but I agree, not being able to "name" them in the keyboard's memory is a bit of a pain.  We are just not quite at the point of being able to get rid of that little black book yet !

As you try to get better acquainted with that manual, give a shout if you have questions.

Yeah, Josh !

I kind of fell into a similar deal on my 7500.  I had just stopped into one of the local Guitar Center stores to order one, because I knew they did not stock them at any of the stores near me.  It turns out this particular store had one that they had been using to demo some high-end VST software product that had not gone over very well, so they had decided to no longer stock it.  That meant they had a 7500 that they no longer needed, so they had put it on the sale rack for half price about an hour before I walked in.  Since it had never been "sold", I got the full "new" warranty,  I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.

That's quite a setup you've got.  There are a lot of guys over on the Yahoo Casio Forum that are piping their 7500's through the Ventilator Leslie sims trying to get a more realistic sound.  They would consider you in B3/Leslie heaven with a "real" one.  Man !  If you used to haul that stuff around to gigs, you must have the physique of a body builder, either that or you wear a pretty hefty back brace.

The registrations you have on your CTK-900, you should be able to come up with pretty much the same thing on the 7500 - just with the added touch of being able to modify them in real time, but I agree, not being able to "name" them in the keyboard's memory is a bit of a pain.  We are just not quite at the point of being able to get rid of that little black book yet !

As you try to get better acquainted with that manual, give a shout if you have questions.

Moving the Hammond around was not a problem.   I had an organ dolly which has straps and wheels on the bottom.   Once you tighten the straps, the organ jacks up and there's wheels to move it around.  I had a movers dolly for the Leslie.  We then had a trailer with a back ramp to just roll everything into the trailer.   We wouldn't take any gigs where you had steps.   The Hammond A143 is the same as a B3 but has an amplifier - 13 watts  (A practice amp would walk on it) and 4 speakers.  I took the power amp and speakers out, didn't use the pedals.  

I did move some of the CTK 900 registrations to the WK7500.  

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of registrations...  Does a reset restore the factory registrations on the WK7500?    I was going through the registrations I have saved and found there are gaps in certain banks, one's I've saved that I don't like.   Plus would like to organize them better.   I did make a backup with Data Manager of all of them.    I might have overwrote factory setups that I regarded as a good starting points to edit.   I'd like to look them over again.   On my old Casio, reset wiped everything out!    You best had a backup or a lot of time...

WK-7500

CTK-900

Hammond 143

Leslie 145 

Josh

You're right !  The manual shows how to initialize the board, but does not state what all does or does not get initialized.  I think it is safe to assume that the Regs get wiped out and do not get restored, since the older Casios did that and since I have a couple of Yamahas and several Rolands that do the same thing.  So, I now make a backup of the Reg file on any new board I get before I change anything.  I have attached a pristine copy of the WK-7500 initial factory Reg file, but I am not sure that you will want to use it.  You can not export/import (backup/restore) individual registrations, or even individual banks, for that matter.  This is an all or none-at-all situation, even with the Data Manager software.  You have to take the entire file, so if you load the file I have attached, you wipe out anything you may have created and saved in the meantime.  If you have backed up your file and reload it, you overwrite everything in the file I sent you.  The Yamaha Arrangers suffer from the same plight, but over on the Yamaha Arranger forum, they have a couple of coding gurus that have written Reg file editors.  If you are a coder and are up to it, you could become a real hero here real quick.

I thought it was interesting that for the CTK-7000 and the WK-7500 supposedly being identical boards except for number of keys that their factory installed registrations were slightly different on the upper couple of banks.  The basic regs are the same, but some of the WK-7500 regs have accompaniment and/or layering turned on, whereas the equivalent regs for the CTK-7000 do not.  Had they left splits turned off for the shorter board, that may have made more sense, but the only differences were just in the accompaniment and layers.

Anyway, have fun with the attached reg file if you try to use it.  Just remember to backup your own stuff before you try to load it.  The forum would not let me upload a file with an .RM7 file extension so I had to zip it.  When you unzip it, you should have a file named WK-7500_140206.RM7.  Just copy that to the MUSICDAT folder on your SD Card and use the instructions on Pages 138 and 140 of the manual to load it, or just download it directly from your PC to the keyboard with the Data Manager software.  BUT . . . BUT . . . BUT . . . I just discovered something that tells me you may already have it.  In the MUSICDAT folders on both SD Cards for both my WK-7500 and CTK-7000 is a file named ORIG-REG.RM7.  I never created either one of those.  When I originally backed up the reg files on both of those units, I just extracted both of them directly to the PC with the Data Manager software.  The only way for those files to have gotten onto the SD Cards was for the keyboard to have done it when I initially formatted the cards, so if you formatted your SD Card in the keyboard you may already have what you are looking for.  Press the "BANK" button to put the keyboard into registration mode, then PRESS AND HOLD the "FUNCTION" button while you press the "LOAD/SAVE" button and see if you get a screen " - Regist Load - " with a file name of ORIG-REG.RM7.  If so, you already have your original factory registrations.  All you need to do is save your stuff and load the original.  I just formatted a new SD Card in the CTK-7000 and it did not put that ORIG-REG file on it, so if the keyboard is doing that, somehow it knows to do it only the first time you format a card so that it doesn't subsequently create a file by that name that does not have all original regs in it.  Very strange ! ! !

By the way, if you are wondering why I just don't backup, initialize, and restore one of my boards, I learned a long time ago to do factory resets absolutely as last resorts.  Just like with computers, when you wipe everything out and restore it, you don't always get everything back the way it was.  Quite often, there are a few things missing or not quite right here or there.  Just a word to the wise ! ! !

Good luck !

WK-7500_140206.zip

Ted, 

I grabbed the file.  Thanks!   

You also made me think about something of greater concern.   That is "bricking" the keyboard.   I flashed a router and it didn't take.   I ended throwing that $45.00 router out.   I don't want to toss the WK7500.    This is where I get really concerned, your Wk7500 might have different firmware or version than mine.   There probably is a keypress sequence where you can read the firmware or perhaps via the USB port,   My keyboard won't accept any formatting of the SD Card unless the Casio formats it.   So I did check my SD card and it does not have an ORIG-REG file.  I do have a file called ALLDATA but that I use to save all settings the day you save it.   With my WK-7500  being a "used"  keyboard, I don't know what the other owner might have done with the settings. So how you got your ORiG Reg file suggests to me you might have a different version of firmware.

My CTK 900 has gotten corrupted if the power blips. It came with a CD with the original firmware along with all the other software that's been discussed under other topics here.   The WK7500 doesn't come with a CD I believe.  

I'm going to keep digging to see if ORIG-REG is the file to use and what it loads.   Or if that's the firmware for the whole keyboard.   

You're not too far from Kraft Music, have you ever gone up there?

Josh

WK-7500

CTK-900

Hammond A143

Leslie 145

Josh

I certainly understand your concern, but at least you will have the file should you ever need/want to load it at some point in the future.  Casio never provided any means to update the firmware on the CTK/WK units, so they also never provided any means of checking the version, but that is no indication that the firmware would not be "silently" updated from one production run to the next.  Registration files on the Yamaha arrangers will always work from one firmware version to the next, but not from one model line to another, but here again, that is no guarantee that the Casios do the same.  Experimenting and bricking a board is no way to find out what won't work.  I am assuming that the previous owner got the ORIG-REG file for your board when he formatted his first SD Card.  This is another item that should be covered in the manual, and another item that should be included on the Casio download site.

As for your other question:  No, I have never been to Kraft Music.  I worked in downtown Chicago for two years in the early 70's and again for 8 years in the 80's.  I commuted on the train during the week, but drove in, if I had to go in over a weekend.  I was a lot younger then and found working in the big city exciting, but at this stage of my life, I find the Guitar Center store in Country Club Hills on the south side about as far as I want to venture into the Chicago highway complex, especially with all the traffic cameras they have these days that will mail you a ticket for just about anything you do.  I've been rural for upwards of 15 years now, so the siren song of the big city just does not catch my ear the way it used to.  Other than GC, I have a couple of really nice local music dealers in Kankakee that I deal with.

Anyway, keep enjoying the 7500 !  Catch you later !

As for your other question:  No, I have never been to Kraft Music.  I worked in downtown Chicago for two years in the early 70's and again for 8 years in the 80's.  I commuted on the train during the week, but drove in, if I had to go in over a weekend.  I was a lot younger then and found working in the big city exciting, but at this stage of my life, I find the Guitar Center store in

I was in Grand Rapids Michigan last summer and Kraft Music stocks a lot of boards.   Was considering driving to Chicago then to Milwaukee to look at keyboards at Kraft.  Chicago traffic leaves me chilled however.    So there's a ferry that runs across Lake Michigan to Milwaukee. but the fare is over $100.00 round trip so I never went.   I wanted to look at the Casio's as well as Roland and Nord boards.   I never considered Guitar Centers till I found out they sold Casios..  There's a bunch of  GC's here in Ohio.    Now I know what they have.  Never expected to find a used WK7500 in the store!   

I'm going to take out my SD Card  and do a binary dump of the files to see if they compare to your ORIG-REG.   I'll let you know what I see.

Josh

Ted.

In looking in the Data Manager/DATA folder on my computer, I do have in that directory,  the same file as you uploaded but with a few changes in the binary values, which is probably the setups I have saved to registrations.  That file on my SD Card however does not exist.   Your file looks like no registration setups were saved at that point.  The important file saved when the board is new is the ALLDATA file with a .AL7 extension.   That ALLDATA file I have is 3.5MB and looking at in a binary mode appears to have all settings, registrations, mixer, DSP etc etc. .   As detailed below, does it matter?

From what I can tell, I think the firmware is burned in the ROM chip at the factory and cannot be changed at all.  With a total reset of the board,  it supposed to totally restore the keyboard as it left the factory.   That reset is detailed on page E-150 and has the warning, all your work will be lost!

I also spent some time looking on line for the factory service manual for the WK7500.  I only found a manual for a CTK 611 and from what I saw in the manual, it would be pretty useless unless your a service technician.  Lots of computer chips with giant circuit boards. Casio has sold a lot of WK-7500's around the world!  

Josh

WK-7500

CTK-900

Hammond A143

Leslie 145

• 3 weeks later...

Josh

You're right !  The manual shows how to initialize the board, but does not state what all does or does not get initialized.  I think it is safe to assume that the Regs get wiped out and do not get restored, since the older Casios did that and since I have a couple of Yamahas and several Rolands that do the same thing.  So, I now make a backup of the Reg file on any new board I get before I change anything.  I have attached a pristine copy of the WK-7500 initial factory Reg file, but I am not sure that you will want to use it.  You can not export/import (backup/restore) individual registrations, or even individual banks, for that matter.  This is an all or none-at-all situation, even with the Data Manager software.  You have to take the entire file, so if you load the file I have attached, you wipe out anything you may have created and saved in the meantime.  If you have backed up your file and reload it, you overwrite everything in the file I sent you.  The Yamaha Arrangers suffer from the same plight, but over on the Yamaha Arranger forum, they have a couple of coding gurus that have written Reg file editors.  If you are a coder and are up to it, you could become a real hero here real quick.

I thought it was interesting that for the CTK-7000 and the WK-7500 supposedly being identical boards except for number of keys that their factory installed registrations were slightly different on the upper couple of banks.  The basic regs are the same, but some of the WK-7500 regs have accompaniment and/or layering turned on, whereas the equivalent regs for the CTK-7000 do not.  Had they left splits turned off for the shorter board, that may have made more sense, but the only differences were just in the accompaniment and layers.

Anyway, have fun with the attached reg file if you try to use it.  Just remember to backup your own stuff before you try to load it.  The forum would not let me upload a file with an .RM7 file extension so I had to zip it.  When you unzip it, you should have a file named WK-7500_140206.RM7.  Just copy that to the MUSICDAT folder on your SD Card and use the instructions on Pages 138 and 140 of the manual to load it, or just download it directly from your PC to the keyboard with the Data Manager software.  BUT . . . BUT . . . BUT . . . I just discovered something that tells me you may already have it.  In the MUSICDAT folders on both SD Cards for both my WK-7500 and CTK-7000 is a file named ORIG-REG.RM7.  I never created either one of those.  When I originally backed up the reg files on both of those units, I just extracted both of them directly to the PC with the Data Manager software.  The only way for those files to have gotten onto the SD Cards was for the keyboard to have done it when I initially formatted the cards, so if you formatted your SD Card in the keyboard you may already have what you are looking for.  Press the "BANK" button to put the keyboard into registration mode, then PRESS AND HOLD the "FUNCTION" button while you press the "LOAD/SAVE" button and see if you get a screen " - Regist Load - " with a file name of ORIG-REG.RM7.  If so, you already have your original factory registrations.  All you need to do is save your stuff and load the original.  I just formatted a new SD Card in the CTK-7000 and it did not put that ORIG-REG file on it, so if the keyboard is doing that, somehow it knows to do it only the first time you format a card so that it doesn't subsequently create a file by that name that does not have all original regs in it.  Very strange ! ! !

By the way, if you are wondering why I just don't backup, initialize, and restore one of my boards, I learned a long time ago to do factory resets absolutely as last resorts.  Just like with computers, when you wipe everything out and restore it, you don't always get everything back the way it was.  Quite often, there are a few things missing or not quite right here or there.  Just a word to the wise ! ! !

Good luck !

Ted,  

I had some time this weekend (It snowed)  to play around with the registration file you posted.   It did reload all the factory registrations.    I did save the registrations I had built with the hope that I could extract and insert them in the registration matrix.   Unless I am  missing something with Data Manager 6.1,  I can only load your file via a package setup.   And with that, it's the whole file only.  Same with saving registrations.     If I choose to backup the whole WK-7500,  Data Manager reports a communication error.   All other functions seem to work with  Data Manager so I know it is communicating with Win XP Pro.   Data Manager did load and convert CTK files.  

Josh

Josh

You are correct about Registrations only being saveable/loadable in complete files.  No "picking and choosing" at that level.  My intent with that factory reg file was that, if you thought some of your own regs had overwritten some factory ones that you might liked to have kept, it would give you a "factory level" base from which to start recreating your own with better knowledge of what you might be overwriting when you save them.

Don't understand why you are getting the comm error when you try to do a backup.  I am currently running a Vista-64 desktop and a Win7-64 laptop.  I still have an old Win-XP Pro laptop in mothballs.  I will drag it out tomorrow and see what I get when I try to do a backup to it.

Regards,

Ted

Josh

You are correct about Registrations only being saveable/loadable in complete files.  No "picking and choosing" at that level.  My intent with that factory reg file was that, if you thought some of your own regs had overwritten some factory ones that you might liked to have kept, it would give you a "factory level" base from which to start recreating your own with better knowledge of what you might be overwriting when you save them.

Don't understand why you are getting the comm error when you try to do a backup.  I am currently running a Vista-64 desktop and a Win7-64 laptop.  I still have an old Win-XP Pro laptop in mothballs.  I will drag it out tomorrow and see what I get when I try to do a backup to it.

Regards,

Ted

Your file did the job I was looking for. Thanks!    The factory registrations I find is a great way to explore some possibilities of the WK-7500    I do believe after you've got your registration set how you want it, you can save it anywhere in the grid.  I have yet to try, but I believe you can edit the intro's, ending and rhythm patterns too.  I will have to set up a matrix and start saving in slots that I know I  will never be using again.   

I'm really curious if your old laptop with XP Pro will backup your WK/CTK   

Josh

I'm sorry, Josh.  I should have recognized your comm error problem when doing backups the other day when I first read it, but I have been using my "work around" for so long I didn't realize what you were saying.  Your problem is the Data Manager 6.1 software.  Knowing how software people just love to keep fixing things the aren't broken until they don't work right anymore, I kept a copy of Data Manager 6.0 when I downloaded the 6.1 update.  With 6.1, I immediately started running into comm errors on large data transfers (10 or more user files, backups, etc), so 6.1 now just sits unused on all my machines as I still use 6.0.  Even with 6.0, I can send 100 User Rhythms to the keyboard, and everything appears to work OK, but there will only be 84 or 85 files on the keyboard, so Casio appears to still have flow control problems with their data transfers.  My old WK-3800 would occasionally have similar problems with large data transfers using the old IDES-4 Data Manager.  I mentioned in my reply the other day, I have a Vista-64 desktop, a Win7-64 laptop, and an old XP-SP2-32 laptop.  I also have a Win-7-64 netbook.  I just finished experimenting with all four machines and the CTK-6000, CTK-7000, and WK-7500.  In every case, I would get comm errors when trying to do backups with Data Manager  6.1 and have no problem with 6.0.  I have seen similar complaints about this on other forums.  Sadly, Casio has removed the copy of 6.0 from their website.  I would say we need to get on their case about this, but I am not sure how much it is worth.  Using 6.0, a backup took the better part of 5 minutes from any one of the keyboards to any one of the computers, while a backup on the keyboard to the SD Card took about 25 seconds.  I guess that's the price of USB.  For you, I would recommend just doing a backup to the SD Card, and then if you want a backup of that, just insert the card into your PC and copy it to your hard drive.  When you do the backup, you are asked to give the file a name and the keyboard appends an extension of .AL7.  I just use the day's date (ie. 03-04-14.AL7).  You will find the file in the MUSICDAT folder on the card.

I guess this would be a real problem for the folks wanting to transfer audio files to their PC's.  Since they are stored in that hidden partition on the card, Windows and MAC-OS can't see them on the card, so the only way to transfer them is via USB.  I wonder how everyone is doing that, or maybe there aren't very many people into that, and those that are have just given up in frustration.  Audio files tend to be pretty big, so I can only assume the the comm error problem would show up on those.

Glad you were able to use that registration file.

I suspected it was a software issue but you confirmed it with Data Manager 6.1.    I looked around today on the www for DM 6.0 and usually you can find stray copies of software around.   Nowhere to be found.    I went to Casio Japan's website to see if they had a newer version, but they too only get  DM 6.1

It would be easy for Casio to post previous versions of software as so many websites do.   Unless there was some flaw in 6.0 to upgrade it to 6.1 and kill of the old version.    My CTK 900 took a long time to do backups via the USB midi port.   I have always been a firm believer in backups and keyboards is no exception.   I probably will just start saving the ALLDATA with a naming scheme like you described.  

I don't see any posts with audio from the CTK's WK's so I suspect, there aren't alot of people if any using that function.   

Josh

• 8 months later...

I use the same workaround, i.e. saving the backup on the SD card and then copying it to my PC.

Concerning the fact that the files are "hidden", there is an easy workaround by setting windows to display system and hidden files, saving a copy of the backup files and then going back to the original windows setting.

Warning: in the hidden folder on the SD card, the keyboard only sees the files that it has saved, not files that have possibly be from the PC.
So the only way to restore a backup is probably to overwrite an existing one created on the SD card from the keyboard!

A pity anyway that Casio developers do not simply fix the "communication error" issue in the "Data Manager 6.1".
Seen the number of posts on this topic, the problem most probably happens everywhere so Casio should be able to reproduce it.