Video Files on Forum ×

Creating CKF User Rhythms - Reference Manual

Casio CKF Rhythm Conversion Guide v1.0.2 (PDF)

**Note (10/21/2023): The above PDF guide contains embedded internal and external links that may not work correctly if viewed in Google Drive's built-in PDF viewer. For the best reading experience, I advise downloading it to your computer's hard drive and viewing it in a better PDF viewer like Microsoft Edge or Adobe Acrobat. 

The IDES 4.0 software download webpage has gone offline and redirects to Casio's main site, but I have re-hosted it on Google Drive here if you still need to download the installer executable.**

The long-awaited User Rhythm Guide is finally here! This is an all-inclusive guide that will address the following topics:

• The basics of MIDI files and General MIDI voice assignments
  • The structure and components of a Casio .CKF Rhythm File
  • Essential and recommended features for the MIDI sequencer/DAW you will use to prepare MIDI files for conversion
  • A step-by-step walkthrough of modifying an existing MIDI sequence to be converted to .CKF
  • Guidelines for creating a new MIDI sequence to be converted to .CKF
  • Using the IDES v4.0 Rhythm Converter Software to convert your SMF to .CKF
  • Using the Rhythm Converter Software to update an old CKF Rhythm with voice assignments for a newer keyboard  

I have decided to format it as a standalone reference manual rather than a forum post because it's very extensive and contains lots of embedded links and visual aids. Some of these embedded links redirect to .pdf files stored on Google Drive, so if you're reading this on a mobile device and data usage is a concern for you, make sure that you're not following a Google drive link before you click on something. Because musicians of all levels use Casio keyboards, the early sections of this guide will cover some very basic concepts related to digital instruments and electronic music production. Please use the table of contents to skip around to the information you need. 

Shoutouts to @Jokeyman123 and @inain for their initial research into the subject, as well as @vbdx66 for suggesting that I release it in .pdf form (ended up saving me a ton of time). And of course, thanks to all of you AWESOME Casio fans out there who make projects like these worth it. Go forth and shred some shiny new User Rhythms with my blessing! :keys: 

**If you followed a shortened link to this page when reading the manual in print form...**

This guide has been formatted so that it's comfortably readable as both a digital .pdf or in print form. However, the embedded links will only be usable if you're using an electronic copy, so you won't be able to access the helpful links and manual snippets for further reference if you have a physical copy. For those reading in print form, I have included a shortened URL that will link back to this forum post. The directory of links contained within the spoiler tags below is directly taken from sections VIII and IX of the .pdf version:

VIII. Appendices of All CKF Compatible Keyboards

I have compiled the relevant appendices of every .CKF compatible keyboard currently listed on the main Casio Music Gear site into separate pdfs. If you're using an older model that's not listed here, you'll have to search out your model's documentation from the web manual archives.

The Sound List catalogs all the sounds in your keyboard's memory along with the Program Change and Bank addresses that correspond to each one. The Drum Assignments show which keys on your keyboard correspond to certain drum sounds within Drum Set tones on your keyboard; consult these when programming the drum track of your rhythm to ensure the right sounds are being triggered by the note data you're planning to convert. The Transfer Information is a collection of the relevant pages from your manual that deal with importing User Data from an external source like a computer or a flash drive.

IX. Helpful Links and Further Reading

Edited by Chandler Holloway
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Hi Chandler,

This tutorial just seems overwhelming. Thanks for the time and energy you put into this work. I am sure this will open new perspectives to CT-X owners, esp. to those wishing to make their own arrangements. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all. Take a look at the PX560 uploads-I have a few ckf rhythms I have re-designed to play on my PX560 but will probably work on the CT-X series although I am not familiar with those particular Casios. These rhythms are not from Casio though-I used other older midi files I had and converted these over using the process Chandler has so thoroughly described, it isn't so difficult once you establish a step-by-step workflow.

I am re-hashing Chandler's post but describing how I managed to re-design a couple dozen rhythm accompaniments in a few hours, and alot of that time was spent getting the workflow down to a minimum.

1) Create or record a midi smf file through whatever method is easiest-i actually decided to use XGWorks as my DAW because it is the easiest way to record multiple midi tracks in one recording. I have been able to record full accompaniment patterns or arrangements like this in one shot.

2) Using the IDES 4.0 Casio software, select the midi file converter-the middle tab in the program and load the midi file.

3) Set your markers using that program-takes a few minutes to set inrors, endings 2 variations and 2 fills plus tempo. when done, convert to .ckf

4) I then open the ckf with ckf rhythm player I found on the Internet-not a Casio designed progam but it loads and plays the ckf for monitoring. This progam also allows for making any last minute changes in volume, program, pan, chorus and reverb. I have Coolsoft virtual synth installed on my laptops which uses the Arachno soundfont and sounds realstic enough to tell what the ckf will sound like on a Casio. Otherwise you can send the output to the windows wavetable synth or back out to something else midi. I do this before I load it into my thumb drive.  done

• Thanks 1

Hi,

This conversion work looks impressive. Would you mind sharing the links to the various tools you are using (excepted those already found on this forum of course), if/when they exist?

Thanks in advance.

Vinciane

Sure. Here is the IDES 4.0....Look towards the bottom of the page-I would download the manual too, it is one of the more detailed accurate Casio manuals-when they still did that! I don't know why it is available in separate downloads-maybe for floppy drives (!) But don't bother-just get the one download.

https://music.casio.com/e/data_ex4/before.html

Whatever midi software recorder you use is fine if you are recording something that you will use to convert to a ckf. I ended up with XGWorks because it seemed the easiest to record multiple tracks at once. 

http://www.xg-central.com/xgc-software.php

The IDES 4.0 creates the dividing markers for you for all the different parts, I like to keep the midi file open at the same time so I can play and review each section. I also drop out or add parts top create variations in the midi file before I load it into the IDES 4.0 midi converter.  the only other program I use is this, for reviewing the ckf before I transfer it into the keyboard memory.....

http://perso.wanadoo.es/didacpino2/ckfrhythmplayer.html

Make sure you download the ckf rhythm player, not the Yamaha midi style converter, whih is another story altogether!  None of my styles are from Yamaha's database, I used midi files from my collection, if you download and try out the styles I uploaded.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 10:11 PM, mr. instrument said:

Which software do you use for making markers . I make my SMF using the song sequencer in my Casio Keyboard . How can I make markers ? 

Sorry I missed your question @mr. instrument. I used Anvil Studio for placing markers in my sequence, as I explain in the manual. You can find a link to the download page and reference material for Anvil Studio in the last section of the guide, or within the spoiler tag in the original post of this topic. I don’t know the specific capabilities of your model, but section III will tell you what features you will need with whatever sequencer or software you might use, and some recommended features that will make the process much easier.

As Jokeyman says, your software or sequencer of choice does not absolutely need to be able to place markers, as you can manually set the start and end points of each Element in the IDES software itself. What’s really important is that you get the order of the component Elements correct and make sure there are no gaps of blank measures in your SMF file. Using software MIDI sequencers like Anvil Studio or Cakewalk tends to make the process more convenient because you can easily copy and paste sections of your sequence in the timeline to make sure everything is ordered correctly. Depending on how limited your keyboard’s built-in song sequencer is, it might be very difficult to arrange the sequence properly, put everything on the right channels and remove gaps between material.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Chandler Holloway now that i know the CT-X800 a bit better after one month of usage, I have come back to your reference guide for MIDI to CKF. conversion and I am trying to phatom it.

For better understanding of the rhythm conversion process, would you maybe consider sharing on the download section of the forum the raw MIDI file you’ve used for conversion, the finished, edited MIDI file ready to be converted by the IDES rhythm converter, as well as the final CKF. rhythm?

These might serve as milestones for CT-X users trying to master the conversion process.

Just my 2 cents,

Vinciane

• Like 1

For those willing to try out @Chandler Holloway‘s tutorial on how to make your own rhythms, if you’re a CT-X700/800 user, I have made an interesting find: actually, the CT-X700 and 800 can produce standard .SMF MIDI files, not just proprietary .MRF files.

In fact, there is an internal file format converter inside the keyboard itself, and it will convert any .MRF file that you’ve recorded as one of the 5 user songs with the internal 6-tracks MIDI recorder of the keyboard to a standard .SMF MIDI file that you can then open in any MIDI sequencing software for further editing.

To do this, push on the Song button and select a user song that you’ve recorded on the keyboard.

Then, select the Function menu and scroll back with the left arrow until you reach “Media”. Press Enter. Scroll with the right arrow until you reach “Save”. Press Enter. Scroll inter the various type of data you can save onto an USB stick and select “MltR SMF”. Press Enter. You can then scroll and choose the user song you want to convert. Once you’ve selected your song, give it a new name, press Enter, then Yes to confirm. Since the keyboard is converting the proprietary .MRF file to a standard MIDI file, the process will last longer than when you are simply saving a .MRF file to the USB stick.

I cannot test this further for the time being, since I have already packed my keyboard in its original cardboard box to send it back to the repair shop because of two faulty keys, but I suspect that the conversion will give a better result for further DAW editing if you use GM tones when you’re recording your user song on the keyboard’s MIDI recorder.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 2:17 PM, vbdx66 said:

Then, select the Function menu and scroll back with the left arrow until you reach “Media”. Press Enter. Scroll with the right arrow until you reach “Save”. Press Enter. Scroll inter the various type of data you can save onto an USB stick and select “MltR SMF”. Press Enter. You can then scroll and choose the user song you want to convert. Once you’ve selected your song, give it a new name, press Enter, then Yes to confirm. Since the keyboard is converting the proprietary .MRF file to a standard MIDI file, the process will last longer than when you are simply saving a .MRF file to the USB stick.

@vbdx66
I’m continuing work on my CT-X700/800/CDP-S350 song recorder tutorial and was wondering if you could clarify some things for me with regards to the export to SMF functionality.

1) When you export a 6-track song recording to SMF, does anything change with regards to the voice assignments? I faintly recall someone saying the AiX tone assignments are converted to general MIDI when you export to SMF, but I just want to make sure.

2) What happens to the parts recorded on the system track (track 1) when you export to SMF? Unlike tracks 2-6, you can have three instrument parts recording at once when you record to track 1 (Layer1, Layer2, Split). Obviously a MIDI file can only have one instrument per channel, so I would hope that the Layer2 and Split voices from the system track are moved to their own channels when you export them to SMF so that all the information from the system track is retained during the export process.

3) If you have recorded chord changes with the accompaniment enabled on the system track, is the note data of the accompaniment parts (played back on MIDI channels 9-16) retained during the export process?

To explain questions 2 and 3 better, this is what I hope happens when you export an MRF file to SMF on the X800. You can set up an MRF file like this to test for yourself if it would help.

Source MRF File:

System Track (Track 1):

Layer 1 and 2 Parts Recorded

Split Part Recorded

Accompaniment Enabled and Chord Changes Recorded

Tracks 2-6: Notes Recorded

SMF Export Possibility 1:

Channel 1: Layer 1 Part

Channel 2: Track 2 Part

Channel 3: Track 3 Part

Channel 4: Track 4 Part

Channel 5: Track 5 Part

Channel 6: Track 6 Part

Channel 7: Layer 2 Part

Channel 8: Split Part

Channel 9: Accomp Part (Perc)

Channel 10: Accomp Part (Drums)

Channel 11: Accomp Part (Bass)

Channel 12: Accomp Part

Channel 13: Accomp Part

Channel 14: Accomp Part

Channel 15: Accomp Part

Channel 16: Accomp Part

SMF Export Possibility 2:

Channel 1: Layer 1 Part

Channel 2: Layer 2 Part

Channel 3: Split Part

Channel 4: Track 2 Part

Channel 5: Track 3 Part

Channel 6: Track 4 Part

Channel 7: Track 5 Part

Channel 8: Track 6 Part

Channel 9: Accomp Part (Perc)

Channel 10: Accomp Part (Drums)

Channel 11: Accomp Part (Bass)

Channel 12: Accomp Part

Channel 13: Accomp Part

Channel 14: Accomp Part

Channel 15: Accomp Part

Channel 16: Accomp Part

Let me know what your tests reveal in the exported file. Unfortunately I don’t have access to an X800 for testing so I’m afraid there’s not much I can do on my own. Thanks!

Hi @Chandler Holloway unfortunately things have became sketchy here in France with the covid quarantine. Things that used to be simple such as going for errands, have became increasingly difficult and take more time than before.

I will try to answer your points over the weekend. Without investigating further, I can already confirm that the SMF files are using GM tone assignment since the converted file open and read easily in any MIDI capable DAW. At the time, I used the auto accompaniment feature, so I also can confirm that the chord tracks are being converted to GM tracks, too 😎

As for the exact channel assignments, I will try to produce a MRF file meeting your requirements for conversion to a SMF file that you will then be able to test yourself. I am thinking of Pachelbel’s Canon, because the chord progression is very easy and loops back indefinitely, and it must be pretty easy to stack various instruments on top of each other. Should be fun.

By the way, I am curious: if you are currently producing a tutorial for the internal song recorder of the CT-X700/800 and CDP-S350, could not Casio maybe lend you one of the aforementioned keyboards? Surely it would be easier, esp. if you want to make some videos to illustrate the written tutorial?

3 hours ago, vbdx66 said:

Hi @Chandler Holloway unfortunately things have became sketchy here in France with the covid quarantine. Things that used to be simple such as going for errands, have became increasingly difficult and take more time than before.

By the way, I am curious: if you are currently producing a tutorial for the internal song recorder of the CT-X700/800 and CDP-S350, could not Casio maybe lend you one of the aforementioned keyboards? Surely it would be easier, esp. if you want to make some videos to illustrate the written tutorial?

They provided me with a CT-X700 for filming the video, so no worries there. The CT-X800 is exclusive to Guitar Center here in the states, and it’s always sold in a bundle with a stand and sustain pedal, so giving me one of those would be tricky. Exporting to USB is the only thing that’s specific to the X800, so I just planned to film those few clips in-store if needed. That’s no longer an option as a result of the quarantine, and all the guys at Casio HQ in New Jersey are working from home so they won’t be able to help me out by testing/filming the X800 they have at the office.

I plan to film “the export to USB” clips on my CT-X5000; as far as navigating the menus, it should be a good enough substitute given the circumstances. The only thing I’m really missing is the ability to test the export to SMF feature itself, so your help is really valuable. Would you mind sharing the MIDI file with the accompaniment/chord parts you previously exported so I can inspect the channel assignments for myself?

No need to create a full composition for testing unless you really want to; you’ve already answered most of my questions. The only remaining question is what happens to the layer and split tracks on the system track. Should be simple to test:

1) Enable layer and split, and make sure that all three system track parts (Layer1, Layer2, Split) have different kinds of tones. That way we’ll be able to keep track of where these tracks end up after the export. The default piano, strings, and bass should work fine.

2) Record some notes on the system track (track 1). Make sure you play different stuff on the split part so we can differentiate them from the upper layers later.

3) Record some stuff on tracks 2-5. I recommend just playing a single note or chord for each track, but do a different note/chord for each track. Mark down which note/chord you used for each track during the recording; this will help us determine how the 6 MRF tracks are ordered when they’re split apart into the first 8 channels of the SMF file after export.

Thanks again for your help, and stay safe out there during these trying times. It’s great having you around to help with these Casio science experiments. :idea:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@vbdx66

I went ahead and put together a test .MRF file that should give us the information we need after it's converted.

Don't worry about looking through the exported SMF file once you're done, if you can just upload it as an attachment here I'll do all the examination when I'm done. In any case, just for reference, here are the settings for each track and the recording as a whole.

Track 1 Upper1: X-Synth Lead 1 (High A)

Track 1 Upper2: X-Synth Pad 2 (Low A)

Track 1 Lower: X-Synth Pad 3 (C#)

Track 2: X-Synth Lead 2 (B) 

Track 3: X-Synth Lead 3 (D)

Track 4: X-Synth Lead 4 (E)

Track 5: X-Synth Lead 5 (G)

Track 6: X-Synth Lead 6 (C)

Accompaniment Style: Mod BigBand- Variation (C# Major Chord)

Reverb: Delay 2

Chorus: Flanger 2

Tempo: 125

Each track is playing a different note, so when I look through the exported SMF file after the fact, I should be able to keep track of where all the different .MRF tracks end up in the converted SMF. I chose all X-Synth tones because they're easy to keep track of, and also because it'll be interesting to see how the GM voices are assigned during the conversion process. I chose Big Band because it sounded like a pretty busy accompaniment style with lots of different instruments.

The recording itself is very unpleasant and harsh to listen to. I would not play it back unless you have the volume very low or you really want a headache for some reason. However, for the sake of this experiment, it should be plenty informative.

If you have any other SMF files you converted from recordings off of your CT-X800, I'd like to look through them as well. Having more data to look through couldn't hurt.

Thanks again for offering to help out, hope all is well with you.

MRFtoSMFTest.MRF

Hi @Chandler Holloway and thanks for posting. Things have been pretty complicated for my husband and myself for the last couple of weeks so I have had very little time to investigate matters further about this MRF to SMF conversion topic.

I'll try to convert your file and send it back to you this evening. I'll also send you a self-made track which I already converted. This will give you more data to investigate.

What I'd be very curious to know is: will the AiX information be remembered within the resulting SMF file? For instance, it would be interesting to check whether a CT-X3000 or 5000 would be able to read the AiX information, or will it get completely lost during the conversion process?

I'll be back as soon as I can find half an hour to connect myself to the computer, download your MRF and convert it on the CT-X800.

Take care.

Hi @Chandler Holloway please find as attachment the SMF converted file. I named the converted file TestSMF.MID. I also enclosed the MRF file and corresponding SMF file of a blues I recorded a while ago on the CT-X800 for comparison and analysis purposes.

Unfortunately, the MRF files recorded on the CT-X700/800 are not compatible with the CT-X3000/5000. As I said, I'd very much like to know whether the CT-X3000/5000 is able to read the AiX data which are supposedly embedded in the SMF files converted on the CT-X800. This would mean that it would be possible to record something on the fly on the CT-X800, convert the resulting MRF file to a SMF file, then do further editing of the song on the CT-X3000/5000. This would be very convenient.

Another question which comes to my mind: if the MRF recorder of the CT-X700/800 is actually a standard MIDI recorder in disguise, could it not be used to produce a standard MIDI file that could in turn be used to create a new rhythm following your tutorial?

By the way, when you have more time, it would be very useful if you could produce a video tutorial showing the whole process of rhythm creation on the computer for the CT-X700/800 as it would make things much more understandable to mere mortals.

BLUESINC.MID BLUESINC.MRF TestSMF .MID

• Like 1

22 hours ago, vbdx66 said:

This would mean that it would be possible to record something on the fly on the CT-X800, convert the resulting MRF file to a SMF file, then do further editing of the song on the CT-X3000/5000.

The CT-X3000/5000 can not load MID (SMF) files for editing.  It can only playback MID files directly from USB flash drive.  

• Like 1